Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transformers #1 by Johnson and Spicer Spoilers

Since my local comic shop broke street date I was able to read this already.

Daniels parental issues are on full display here as Sparkplug is a raging alcoholic due to an older sons death (in what appears to be a failed shuttle launch)

Spike is anxious to follow in his deceased older brothers footsteps but gets sidetracked when he and his friend stumble upon the crashed space ship containing auto bots and decepticons. Star Scream is revived first a battle ensues in which bumblebee is murdered and Skywarp initially sided with Star Scream before realizing the error of his ways. Skywarp is murdered as well and the decepticons and autobots part ways with Sam and his friend catching a ride on Optimus.

Optimus and Rachet gather their comrades in Optimus’s trailer and make for a quarry. Starscream goes looking for raw materials so he can resurrect more decepticons and Murders Sparkplug’s coworker (so squishy)

Such a good first issue. I can’t wait for issue 2 (November 8th)

Real sad Daniel is only drawing the first six issues.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

I really enjoyed this relaunch for the most part. The art is really good. Sidenote: Skywarp doesn't die, it was Jetfire. I'm a bit mixed on the death of Bumblebee, I always liked the little guy, but I got to admit the franchise has been a bit over saturated with his presence since the live action films. (He even has his own separate TF toyline, Buzzworthy Bumblebee) So it will be nice to see some other 'Bots get the spotlight. It will also be interesting to see how the story proceeds with the Decepticons in charge of the Ark and the Autobots with no real headquarters as of yet. My one complaint was the extremely graphic death on the last page, but I guess with the "Walking Dead" guy behind the relaunch I shouldn't have been surprised.

I wonder if Arcee will receive an Earth based alt-mode or if she will stay as that pink Cybertronian car from the original cartoon series?
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Dang, poor 'Bee and Jetfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dang, poor Jetfire.
    I know, right?! Glad their friendship was acknowledged. Nice callback, nonetheless...

Last time bee died he came back as goldbug in a new body. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Last time bee died he came back as goldbug in a new body. Hmm.
    I wouldn't mind that, I thought his most interesting period in the old Marvel run was as Goldbug. Although, I am personally fine that he is taking a "break" for now and letting Cliffjumper have some use.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I wouldn't mind that, I thought his most interesting period in the old Marvel run was as Goldbug. Although, I am personally fine that he is taking a "break" for now and letting Cliffjumper have some use.
    They have to make up for all the times Cliffjumper got killed off .

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

10 out of 10. I haven't given a grade like this to a comic book since Cate's Venom Run.

This is how you start a things off with a franchise like Transformers

+ Starting off with a few characters. Not going overboard. Even if this is the reader's first time experiencing Transformers, it's easy understand who is who and what the character is like

+ 100% nailed the Characters: It was so perfect I can almost hear Starscream's Raspy Tones and Cullen's Legendary Optimus Voice

+ Story Setting: Its a situation veteran fans are aware of but different twists in the settings. Finally it gives us enough to give an idea as to what is happening but leaves that right amount of questions so you want to continue to keep reading.

+ Fight Scenes: Top Notch

Damnit that’s my bad. Yeah i expect bumble bee back at some point I think they wanted a condensed line up for the first arc but I imagine all the classics will show up.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They have to make up for all the times Cliffjumper got killed off .
    That's ironic when you consider Cliffjumper is one of the few G1 survivors in Transformers '86

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Or in Windcharger's case, just a flesh wound...lol!

Last edited by McFarlane's Green Hulk; 10-08-2023 at 07:07 PM. Reason: effing dead Windcharger images!

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    Or in Windcharger's case, just a flesh wound...lol!
    Hand to God, these two guys were the very first Transformers I ever owned, so along with the death of Optimus Prime, the 86 movie felt like a personal attack on me as a child!

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Default Never Realized How Awesome It Would Be To Watch A Truck Suplex A Fighter Jet

I loved this comic! REALLY loved it.

Daniel Warren Johnson, you are an amazing talent. Whether it's drawing every single detail at the VFW (seriously, I think you could read the labels on the bottles if you had a magnifying glass), or making us feel the thunder as hundred ton robots fight, you can do it all. The art style here is so cartoony and yet so emotional and powerful, it's wonderful. Pure comics fun. I feel like I know the characters already. It's telling that Spike took a side when he saw that Optimus was grieving the loss of a friend. But is Bumblebee really dead? I hope Ratchet shoved his carcass in the trailer with all the other Autobots.

So Optimus has "the matrix." I'm a bit rusty on Transformers lore, but that sounds like something that could heal the still lifeless Autobots. If so that will give the Autobots a numerical advantage but no home base. Meanwhile there's only three Decepticons (Plus a couple of robot animals?) but they have the Ark, which could provide a powerful advantage once Soundwave fixes it.

Looking forward to issue #2!!!

PS: RIP Dave. We knew nothing about you, but you seemed like an okay guy.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Hand to God, these two guys were the very first Transformers I ever owned, so along with the death of Optimus Prime, the 86 movie felt like a personal attack on me as a child!
    Mine were Shockwave and Astrotrain - and since Astrotrain survived into season 3 and we never saw Shockwave's on-screen death, I was good, lol.
    The Autobot deaths didn't really affect me at the time, yeah I was sad to see them die, but seeing Starscream get vaporized, and the other Seekers and Megatron get reformatted -- that struck me big time.
    And still does.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

It was a pretty good read. It is at its core a "What If" version of the G1 lore longtime(OG) fans know.
    We are going to have Cliffjumper as the lead mini-spy instead of Bumblebee(who I say is only out of commission, not dead, dead, dead). When the series goes long enough he'll rise I just hope he speaks and isn't in the Bay-verse mode of beeps and tweets with radio tunes to "talk", that schtick is played out.

With only a few Bots and Cons up and running it also feels a bit like Beast Wars. Where instead of waiting for pods to fall down from orbit, we've got most in the Ark waiting for a busted up Teletran-1 to repair them. Seems a lot of action my revolve around getting your inactive teammates from there and repaired. Continual sub-plots of searching for Energon and just what will G.I. Joe have to do with the story either directly or indirectly in the early goings?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime