Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Force #45 - Review/Spoilers

In terms of straightforward storytelling and big developments, this was one of my fav books this week. Plus I love Colossus and I'm happy his story is finally being told so I wanna highlight him.

We open with the preview pages, the Chronicler reflecting on his time controlling Colossus. He is narrating and tells us Mikhail's patience is gone and his attention has turned to Orchis. They've been researching Orchis and have landed on one of their agents, Jun Wei, to control. She is never one shaking hands or signing documents, she's always in the background and the one who can effect change from within in subtle and quiet ways. We see Wei enter a storage room where Colossus is hiding. He grabs her and pulls her into one of Mikhail's portals.

Data page about Wei. We learn that her parents were killed in California during a seaside battle involving Magneto, Astra, Toad, and the Scarlet Witch over a decade ago. This radicalized her and eventually she was recruited by Orchis.

Colossus brings her to Mikhail who uses his powers to bind her hands and arms with her own skin. He then touches Peter's face and sends him away. Watching all of this, the Chronicler knows Mikhail will one day turn on him too.

Deadpool is poolside at a resort in Vegas. Sage and Domino call him because they need his help and whatever, he blows them off saying he's with the Uncanny Avengers now. He's like if there's no more island paradise Krakoa what's in it for him? He hangs up and jumps in the pool.

Sage and Domino try to figure out how to study the ring they got from the Russian dude connected to Mikhail last issue. They know the ring is linked to Mikhail but they don't know how to inspect it. Sage then has an idea.

Wei demands to know where she is and Mikhail introduces him the Chronicler. For those that don't know, he can't simply control someone unless he has some kind of minimal personal connection to them, hence why she was brought to him. As she continues to demand to be freed, calling them muties, Chronicler starts writing.

Sage and Domino climb through a window into a dark room of the Sanctum Sanctorum. Once inside they barely take a single step before the runner rug they're standing on grabs them haha! It wraps itself around them and takes them to the floor as Dr. Strange enters. It's a cute scene.
    The scene shifts and the three of them are sitting in front of the fireplace in Strange's den as he's willing to indulge them. They show him the ring and he does some magical stuff with it, asking about Mikhail's powers. Sage tells him how Mikey can alter matter and even move it to create in-between spaces, rifts between dimensions. Strange says this reminds him of the teachings of a sect of biomancers as he looks through one of his books.

Data page and it's actually a very good one all about Mikhail's powers. I like it because I never fully understood his mutant powers so it's cool to read Strange's description. The last part says maintaining those in-between voids requires concentration and if the creator is injured the inhabitants of such a void would be expelled, or crushed in a vice of atoms crashing suddenly back together.

Mikhail is growing impatient, saying Wei is due back at the Orchis station in just a few hours. The Chronicler is crying as he's processing the emotions and connection he's feeling while Wei is sharing. He says Mikhail wouldn't understand, that he lacks heart. Chronicler says he's building emotional threads that he can then use to control her. Mikhail doesn't want to hear it and tells him to get to the plot as he starts walking away.

Chronicler: You're a man of action. I understand. You'll like this next part then. (Wei pulls out her gun.)
    Mikhail: I better.

Chronicler narrates telling us he made certain Colossus didn't confiscate Wei's hidden gun. He jumps out of his seat. "Yes! Ha! I'm finally... free..." Wei turns and points the gun at him. He scrambles to grab paper and is on his knees writing that she doesn't want to kill the kind-eyed, shy-voiced writer. She presses her gun to his head as he writes that they can help each other and maybe even become friends. She hesitates, looking confused and emotional. We briefly see Laura, Quire, and Omega as the walls of Mikhail's void start crumbling and everything shakes. Colossus looks up from his painting and confirms that the void is breaking. He turns around...
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I’m hopeful that when this is over we’ll finally have our gentle giant back!

Astonishing Member

That's it. 3 years of buildup and this is how it ends. That's depressing

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Just like your typical Russian novel.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

So Gillen and Percy did NOT communicate on how much Colossus knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I don't think it's over just yet.
    https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...-force_2019_46

A TALE OF TWO BROTHERS! MIKHAIL RASPUTIN has been secretly controlling his brother, PIOTR RASPUTIN, A.K.A. COLOSSUS. Plans change. The control ebbs. Revenge is to be had. But at what cost? At last, the brotherly battle brewing the past four years in X-FORCE boils over - Mikhail vs. Colossus!

"If the Chronicler survives he and Colossus should make a comic book." Someone just floated this idea and now I need it.

This issue reminds me of the first few issues of Percy's run on X-Force. A lot happened in this one issue and it was great!
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    This issue reminds me of the first few issues of Percy's run on X-Force. A lot happened in this one issue and it was great!
    I had the same thought. I was wondering “How did Percy get so good all of a sudden”. Then I remembered the first 2-3 issues were damn good and the highlight of all the Krakoa books for one blink of an eye.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

X-Force really was the best out of the gate. Even made Hickman's X-Men look weak in comparison(until that Davos dinner party issue). But over time Percy slipped(maybe he preferred Wolvie's solo?), and it has languished. Hopefully he can course correct in concluding Piotr's story(and Beast's), but this issue was a step in the right direction.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Just like your typical Russian novel.
    Hahahahaha! God, I hate Russian novels. Well... not Dostoevsky.

Incredible Member

Remember in the issue where Mikhail captured Quentin, the mere sight of him made Quentin - an omega-level mutant - **** his pants? He better do something amazing in terms of power in the next issue because Wei Jun shooting him like a bitch - hilarious though it may have been - is kind of an underwhelming defeat.

Yeah, it was definitely solid. The good art helps. And I’m sure Logan returning to the title in an issue or two will help me personally (and you as well) to enjoy it even more.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Very solid issue with lots of intriguing developments - although it's a shame future solicits already spoiled that Mikhail isn't really dead. I enjoyed Domino and Sage's interaction with Doctor Strange although it's hard to read this Sage who doesn't really talk like Sage.

The ball is in Piotr's court now and I just can't wait to see what he does with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I had the same thought. I was wondering “How did Percy get so good all of a sudden”. Then I remembered the first 2-3 issues were damn good and the highlight of all the Krakoa books for one blink of an eye.
    I feel the same way. This issue echoed early Percy X-Force and I found myself really looking forward to the next issue. Issue #47 will have the team regrouping apparently at a new base and with Logan coming back, it should be a lot of fun.