Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Immortal X-Men #16 - Review/Spoilers

I'm going to split up the two plots into separate halves instead of jumping back and forth, but just know that the book itself is leaping between the Xavier/Shaw/Selene and Hope/Exodus/Destiny plots.

The issue is narrated by Apocalypse, but this is the copy of Apocalypse in the desert where the mutants have ended up. He is a "test on the road to revelation" and says some spooky stuff in captions. (Anywhere it says Apocalypse below, assume it's the copy.)

Xavier, Shaw, & Selene

The preview pages: Shaw and Selene are looking at the people Xavier killed last issue. They've pushed him too far, and they need to attack directly. Shaw brings out his Hellfire armor.

Xavier fights Shaw and Selene. He's losing. He telepathically calls Emma for help, asking what Shaw wants, and she tells him about the Hellfire shenanigans with Fisk over in X-Men. Xavier telepathically learns and trades key Hellfire Club account passwords to Shaw to help him take back control, but only in exchange for Shaw leaving to use them now. Xavier will let people know the codes are stolen if Shaw breaks his deal so he needs to go now. "Krakoa will still be here when you're done."

Shaw knocks out Selene, but lies to her and says Xavier overpowered his telepathic resistance. Xavier and Shaw agree to just let Selene have the External gate.

Shaw mentions the bodies of the men Xavier killed. Xavier says he doesn't understand. "I haven't killed anyone."

Xavier wanders Krakoa and finds Sinister's lab. He looks in the mirror:

Screen Shot 2023-10-04 at 10.06.11 AM.jpg

Hope, Exodus, & Destiny

Apocalypse is watching the lost Krakoans. They've settled on Atlantic Krakoa, where they're growing their own food and surviving.

Egg is in the desert, being attacked by a bunch of Bishop clones like the Wolverines last issue. A Logan appears and attacks him, but Hope and Exodus save him. Hope points out that these Logans attack her the same way he did in AvX, and Bishop is attacking her again. It's her nightmares come to life.

In a data page written by Destiny, it's revealed that the Krakoans have worked together to form a new society here, using their powers to do the hard work of growing food, maintaining water supplies, and defending the perimeter. Exodus and Hope have looked for an escape but the desert goes on and on. Mother Righteous has helped find all of the members of the Five - Egg was the last - but each of them think they've only been there a few days, much shorter than the other Krakoans. They don't have a Cerebro, but Mother Righteous thinks she might be able to contact the Waiting Room.

There is a very cult-looking resurrection ritual, as the Five work and Mother Righteous dances to contact the Waiting Room. It works.

Screen Shot 2023-10-04 at 10.12.35 AM.jpg

Hope thanks Mother Righteous. Destiny privately expresses distrust of MR to Exodus and Hope, but they're skeptical as Destiny never lets them read her mind to see what she knows from her visions. They agree that whenever Hope and Exodus are away, Destiny will keep watch on Mother Righteous.

Righteous sends Hope and Exodus to find someone. It's Jean, still on the chain like last issue but in her modern costume now. She's uttering her exact lines from the end of Jean Grey #2.

Screen Shot 2023-10-04 at 10.15.07 AM.jpg

Apocalypse appears. He says he's their "Satan". Exodus says he's had visions of this desert and always has seen Apocalypse as the Satan in his mutant religion. Hope realizes that this means this place is being created in some way from them - the religious iconography is all Exodus, and the Bishops and Logans are all her.

Hope reads Jean's mind. She knows where they are know.

What's the "White Hot Room"?

---

So there you have it. Really great issue even if we didn't get the real Apocalypse. Hugely excited to see where the Jean stuff is going, this feels like it's tying in closely with the Simonson mini. And maybe we'll learn more about how the Phoenix is connected to both Jean and Hope.

My favorite issue of the week by far. Getting to read Gillen explore the Phoenix and its connection to Jean and Hope is such a treat.

I'm wondering how Hope heard the term "White Hot Room".

Jean is clearly dreaming, so she did not consciously tell her, unless it's something Hope picked up from her subconscious? I don't think Jean has acknowledged she's in the WHR in her solo, but she definitely could have deduced that's where she is.

One of the first things that came to mind when I read "White Hot Room" was Manifold traveling there in SWORD #1 to retrieve Mysterium. Could that be why Destiny had him hidden away, to bring everyone back?

Do we think Sinister left that message on the mirror and Xavier happened to be positioned just right for the diamond to be on his forehead? Or do we think a Sinistered Xavier is in play here?
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Amazing Member

Big fan of the Exodus/Apocalypse and Xavier/Sinister Satan parallels. Nice build up.

Not the most important detail, but as a Selenehead, I just wanted to acknowledge that she's supposed to be able to control inorganic matter and that this tree business is now a twice-occuring error in the Krakoan Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Do we think Sinister left that message on the mirror and Xavier happened to be positioned just right for the diamond to be on his forehead? Or do we think a Sinistered Xavier is in play here?
    I think it's a Sinistered Xavier. That's why Xavier says he didn't kill anyone. Sinister took over probably.

My guess is that whatever Forge did worked only temporarily. The Sinister gene came back, and with everyone scattered nobody could remove it again.

--

Edit: I think Hope and Exodus will be "cured" from the Sinister gene by the Phoenix, similarly to how Hope was doing that during resurrection without even noticing.

Hope and Exodus stumbling upon Jean wandering the mysterious desert and mumbling what she says to herself at the end of Jean Grey #2 (2023) is a game changer. Also, a Twitter mutual noted these parallels: Exodus (Believer), Hope (Messiah), Apocalypse (Satan), and Jean (God).

Last edited by Mercury; 10-04-2023 at 07:59 AM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Xavier fights Shaw and Selene. He's losing. He telepathically calls Emma for help, asking what Shaw wants, and she tells him about the Hellfire shenanigans with Fisk over in X-Men. Xavier telepathically learns and trades key Hellfire Club account passwords to Shaw to help him take back control, but only in exchange for Shaw leaving to use them now. Xavier will let people know the codes are stolen if Shaw breaks his deal so he needs to go now. "Krakoa will still be here when you're done."
    Interesting. I guess that explains why Shaw is on the cover of Iron Man #11.

Could also be that Tony and Emma's mission to get some Mysterium will intersect with Immortal X-Men #18, given that Emma is on the cover there and it comes out a few weeks after Iron Man #13.

I squeeled at the ending.....so unexpected and good good. FINALLY Jean has joined the cast of immortal

ETA:

The WHR exists in the afterlife right? So everyone did die? Considering its where thee PF resides, Om guessing it will be how everyone is resurrected with Jean likely reclaiming it as her own

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post

Jean is clearly dreaming, so she did not consciously tell her, unless it's something Hope picked up from her subconscious? I don't think Jean has acknowledged she's in the WHR in her solo, but she definitely could have deduced that's where she is.
    I mean thats whats shown. And I dont think Jean is dreaming. I think she is astral projecting herself across time bc the WHR exists outside of time and space. She can exists in multiple places all at once from within there
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-04-2023 at 09:18 AM.

I always assumed that was the most likely place when Jean says “why else would I be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I squeeled at the ending.....so unexpected and good good. FINALLY Jean has joined the cast of immortal

ETA:

The WHR exists in the afterlife right? So everyone did die? Considering its where thee PF resides, Om guessing it will be how everyone is resurrected with Jean likely reclaiming it as her own

I mean thats whats shown. And I dont think Jean is dreaming. I think she is astral projecting herself across time bc the WHR exists outside of time and space. She can exists in multiple places all at once from within there
    Right, yeah, she's probably astral projecting.

----

I'm not sure if this is a plot hole, or a hint that something is not quite right, but how did they resurrect a mutant without their DNA? I don't think they have the DNA library on them.

It's also kinda odd that the rest of the Five were just scattered in the desert. I'm not sure why I thought they were with the Realm of X team.

Something seems off here.

Well…..if they are in the White Hot Room and Jean is here too, then it stands to reason something else also be in play with Jean’s mind. Hope does say something to the effect that Jean’s mind is on fire at that moment.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Interesting. I guess that explains why Shaw is on the cover of Iron Man #11.

Could also be that Tony and Emma's mission to get some Mysterium will intersect with Immortal X-Men #18, given that Emma is on the cover there and it comes out a few weeks after Iron Man #13.
    That's not Shaw on the cover, that's Tony. He's the current Black King.

ETA:

More like the afterlife exists in the White Hot Room. The White Hot Room is supposed to be where all life energies flow out into the greater Omniverse as the heart of the Phoenix and core of creation.

That’s what I’m wondering myself. The Phoenix is also able to manipulate the confines of the White Hot Room and creates different spaces inside that vary in environments. It’s entirely possible that it is all still in Jean’s head, but it is still tangible reality because the White Hot Room is effectively the Mind of the Phoenix as well. We are still only barely getting answers as to Jean’s circumstances now, so it’s still a big question mark in my head.

KG has such a hard on for Sinister. However that was a great ending. I'm enjoying FoX a lot. Immortal is easily one of the best books of the Krakoan era.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/