Thread: Classifieds

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Default Classifieds

As late as the 90s, advertisements in Marvel Comics were a weird assortment of stuff. As well as adverts for Hostess Twinkies, the advertising space in the magazines were perhaps a little less refined than it is today: huge swathes of text, ordered into columns on miniscule print with colours bleeding, classifieds advertising everything from muscle gain to authentic coin sets, comic book dealers to homeschooling, karate training to sea horses.

Whenever I'm reading a 70s comic, half of the fun is in looking at these old adverts. In its own way it is so 70s, and so preposterous, that the classifieds in TV guides or newspapers today pale in comparison.

So, what would you rank as the most ridiculous classified advert you've come across in the comic books of an older generation?

My favourite is the infamous Marvel Douche.

Maybe I was too young in the 70s but I don't remember anyone buying or reading "GRIT."

That anyone could really hope to learn Karate from a book/record is also hilarious, even if it is Count Dante, the World's Deadliest Man, teaching you.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Fantastic Member

All those fitness ads , Like free muscles fast or too skinny . Or how about the Polaris nuclear sub for 6.98 over 7 feet long .Always wanted to send away for it .

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

I don't recall any specific ads, but I've seen my share of fitness ads and learning the martial arts from a book. Then there's the X-ray glasses. woo-woo!

BANNED

And then there's the parodies of those ads.