Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I admit I'm conflicted. From one side, I agree with
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Jean doesn’t need the phoenix to be interesting or powerful. The story of the phoenix choosing her is more powerful then she creating it or other stories tying them together.
    because Jean is already one of the most powerful mutants (and Earth-based characters in the Marvel Universe) without the need for the additional cosmic uber-power of the phoenix. So I'd permanently bond the Phoenix to a character who isn't too much powerful for themselves - a character who perhaps doesn't have a powerful editorial story. A side-character who can afford to go cosmic and operate on a cosmic level, no more Earth-based. Because I don't think it makes sense for a character-with-phoenix to be involved in "petty" fights on Earth, when they should be involved in cosmic-threats.

But, at the same time, I agree with
    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Jean should be able to use the Phoenix codename and costume iconography with or without the powers, so I'd start there. As far as the entity itself I would prefer it be a special occasion power up with some in-story reason she doesn't tap into it regularly.
    So. Who knows!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    How much should laser beams play a role in Cyclops' life?
    None? He doesnt shoot laser beams....

BANNED

Laser beams, tropical punch beams, same difference.

They should depower him for shipping instead and let Jean have her powers.

Interesting question, hard to answer and with so many possibilities, just like Jean herself!

I loved Jean was she was "just" a telekinetic way back in the early X-Men stories, for everything she was, is and will be. The Phoenix is an aspect of Jean that occurred with her maturity and increase in powers and control. The Phoenix is Jean.

Because writers made bad stories with Jean as Phoenix showing only evil, death and destruction, does not mean that we should not demand great stories where the power is fully controlled by Jean, with Jean at the helm, using the power to help, save and redeem others and their worlds.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Let Rachel handle the Phoenix. I think she did a way better job. I mostly liked the scenes where the Phoenix looked blue, like in War of Kings.
    So much this. They already have her playing Phoenix-lite with Betsy as it is.

Incredible Member

Laser beams, tropical punch beams, same difference.

They should depower him for shipping instead and let Jean have her powers.
    VERY different and part of the reasons Cyclops is so misuderstood and has been wrongly used the last few years, I mean people cant even get his powers right. Laser beams are more akin to Dazzlers powers then Cyclops. Lasors cut, a kinetic force beam is more like a beam that is like a giant fist punching you. MAJOR MAJOR difference. Would love to see Cyclops powers used properly.

Extraordinary Member

Just connect her with the Phoenix again. She is already written as being more powerful then her early Phoenix version. Not having her be tied to the Phoenix will not stop someone writing a story where she goes evil and whatever because they can connect her to PF immediately whenever they want, but maybe it will stop the PF being used in all sorts of crappier stories if the concept is actually locked in to character/book/writer/editor.

It's not Jean that needs rescuing; it's Phoenix!

Save the Phoenix.

Give to Jean... or give it to Rachel...

...but for the love of all that is holy, keep it away from Jason Aaron and everyone else who has abused it.

At this point, given how ridiculously overpowered that Nimrod and Mother Righteous have proven to be... and the powerhouses that have been on the Avengers and whatnot, I don't see the big deal on having Phoenix around. Shoot...

Maybe it will stop the writers from resorting to extinction-level events all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Let Rachel handle the Phoenix. I think she did a way better job. I mostly liked the scenes where the Phoenix looked blue, like in War of Kings.
    Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    So much this. They already have her playing Phoenix-lite with Betsy as it is.
    100% agreed. Rachel did great with the Phoenix for, what? 75 issues of Excalibur?

Fantastic Member

I like the Phoenix as an extension/full form of jeans tk powers like Morrison explored in new xmen and leave it to as needed by the writer according to the reasonable threat. The Phoenix and dark Phoenix can be like a power up/form of Jean grey if need be but let’s chill on that for most part.

Yes for sure. The Phoenix belongs to Jean and Rachel and they belong to the Phoenix. It is intrinsic to their being as characters that cannot be understated.

Honestly if it were up to me all Phoenix stories after Morrison and Davis’ Phoenix stories should be rendered void. Most especially AvX and everything Aaron did with the Phoenix treating it like it was one of the symbiotes that just attaches to everyone. Would prefer it was retconned away that the Phoenix in those stories was an imposter misrepresenting what the force stands for, while the real Phoenix exists only with Jean, Rachel and occasionally Madelyne!
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Give limited access to Jean or Rachel...and keep it away from the Avengers
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Yes for sure. The Phoenix belongs to Jean and Rachel and they belong to the Phoenix. It is intrinsic to their being as characters that cannot be understated.

Honestly if it were up to me all Phoenix stories after Morrison and Davis’ Phoenix stories should be rendered void. Most especially AvX and everything Aaron did with the Phoenix treating it like it was one of the symbiotes that just attaches to everyone. Would prefer it was retconned away that the Phoenix in those stories was an imposter misrepresenting what the force stands for, while the real Phoenix exists only with Jean, Rachel and occasionally Madelyne!
    To me, the solution to discounting all the junk has already been referenced in canon:
    errant Phoenix shards

I'd keep it away from Rachel too, and define an aesthetic and design specifically for that character. Stop the brand dilution.

On that note, they need to fix X-23 too.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 10-06-2023 at 03:50 PM.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Honestly, I'd settle for a clearly and concisely defined relationship, I truly do not care if she's empowered by it or not. However, her relationship to the PF, mythos, and legacy should remain intact, what's frustrating as a fan of Jean Grey first. Is why this even needs to be a discussion, dozens of characters have wield the PF recently, heck Echo managed just fine. I'd just like for her to have a relationship to the PF that is mutually beneficial.

On that note, they need to fix X-23 too.
    I agree. They need to kill off X-Men!Laura and transfer all of her memories to X-Force!Laura to reconcile the two versions.