Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

You say that like Peter sharing the spotlight with a well-written loving family is a bad thing. It isn't.
    It might not be to you, but to people that want a solo hero story and get a team book instead, it very much is.

Incredible Member

Did the issues with the Dikto Estate ever get worked out? I ask because I saw a Twitter exchange yesterday about Spider-Man rights with Peter Parker, and it just hit me…

What if Marvel is playing a long game approach, with the risk of them loosing all rights to Peter Parker and Amy other Dikto created era character, and all this mess that Peter has been dealing with has been some gamble to ruin the namesake of Peter in case they loose the rights, to make the Peter brand more negative?

Just a thought running through my head after I saw that Twitter exchange.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Did the issues with the Dikto Estate ever get worked out? I ask because I saw a Twitter exchange yesterday about Spider-Man rights with Peter Parker, and it just hit me…

What if Marvel is playing a long game approach, with the risk of them loosing all rights to Peter Parker and Amy other Dikto created era character, and all this mess that Peter has been dealing with has been some gamble to ruin the namesake of Peter in case they loose the rights, to make the Peter brand more negative?

Very doubtful. I mean I don’t really put it past the crew on charge of Marvel right now to be spiteful and small, but they’d have to know they’re pissing in the wind if they try that. What with the massively successful video game that just came out

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Very doubtful. I mean I don’t really put it past the crew on charge of Marvel right now to be spiteful and small, but they’d have to know they’re pissing in the wind if they try that. What with the massively successful video game that just came out
    The massively successful game that is moving forward with Miles as the star? Remember when they tried to bench the FF and X-MEN? It's funny that back then there were people saying that Marvel would never do such a thing. Then when rights issues were cleared up everyone stopped denying that it was a rights issues.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It might not be to you, but to people that want a solo hero story and get a team book instead, it very much is.
    So what are your thoughts on Hickman's Ultimate Spider-Man where it sounds like only Peter will have powers.

It seems your best case scenario would make it so Spider-man wasn't even the star of his own book anymore, just one of the cast members.
    The most popular Spider-Man story in over a decade stars a completely different person as Spider-Man, with Peter Parker taking a backseat…

I continue to laugh as a Flash fan reading Flash comics that have a whole family of Flash characters running around causing trouble and helping each other out. They had a barbecue earlier this year. It was great.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    The most popular Spider-Man story in over a decade stars a completely different person as Spider-Man, with Peter Parker taking a backseat…

I continue to laugh as a Flash fan reading Flash comics that have a whole family of Flash characters running around causing trouble and helping each other out. They had a barbecue earlier this year. It was great.
    I mean, I think there's something to be said that sometimes a family of characters or a whole host of people with the same powers can take the spotlight or focus away from the actual main character.

Peter has been hit hard with this in various forms across comics and other media. Even Miles has had issues where he gets shoved into stuff where Peter is the main character so there's not really as much you can do with him.

Maybe if they actually executed these characters together better and on a more consistent basis, it would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Lowe’s recent letter response to the Paul situation I think continues to skew towards “out of touch."
    Which letter?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Who's talking about a team book? A family and a team have different dynamics. And again, I was mainly talking about having a Spider-man book with a well-written family dynamic rather than taking away the spotlight from Peter. But you decided to just ignore that bit.

Yes, Spy X Family was the example of good family dynamics and in that series the entire family acts as the main cast. But you can totally have a superhero comic with a lead character and their direct family as the cast. Just look at the old Spider-Girl book. Great family dynamic, but it's Mayday who is the clear star of the series. Same with the current Flash series I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Which letter?

Sort of avoids the question regarding MJ. Kind laughed that the best defense of Paul boils down to “UNINTENTIONAL genocide”.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post

It doesn't seem to work given that the book tops the sales charts.

If they wanted to tank the character, they wouldn't put artists like John Romita Jr, Pat Gleason and Ed Mcguiness on the book.

An obvious indication that editorial wants the book to succeed is the lack of rush-jobs.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The massively successful game that is moving forward with Miles as the star? Remember when they tried to bench the FF and X-MEN? It's funny that back then there were people saying that Marvel would never do such a thing. Then when rights issues were cleared up everyone stopped denying that it was a rights issues.
    Peter is not being replaced in the games. You only need to actually pay attention to see that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Peter is not being replaced in the games. You only need to actually pay attention to see that.
    This. Insomniac Peter didn't quit, he took a break to focus in being Pete.

And they explicitly have him tell Miles he'll be there if Miles needs help.

Guess what Miles might need some help with? Ock-Goblin team up.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    This. Insomniac Peter didn't quit, he took a break to focus in being Pete.

And they explicitly have him tell Miles he'll be there if Miles needs help.

Guess what Miles might need some help with? Ock-Goblin team up.
    Or even Ock-Goblin with Carnage as a wildcard f***ing everything up that he sees because he just wants chaos and blood, and when the symbiote is somehow eventually separated from Cletus Kasady, either Ock takes it as a means of circumventing his neurodegenerative disease, recreating Monster Ock from the PS1 Spider-Man game, or Osborn takes it to give himself an edge against Spider-Man when the G-Serum enhancements prove insufficient and becomes the Red Goblin, shedding what decency or humanity remains inside him in favor of revenge on Spidey.
    The spider is always on the hunt.