Astonishing Member

Default Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the animated Castlevania world

How would Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV version) fare if she replaced Trevor Belmont and later Ritcher Belmont in the animated Castlevania world?

She gets ripped to shreds in one of her first fights. I’m pretty sure she’s way slower (and less skilled) than Trevor or Richter.
    Chief Curmudgeon

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

she does not want any part of dracula or alucard. hell, she won't even make it to fight death.

don't you think that's weirdly fucked up?

For Buffy to make it through the first episode--let alone live long enough to see the season finale--she'd have to be Uber-Buffy or Super Buffy from the comics. Otherwise, she's dead meat.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    She gets ripped to shreds in one of her first fights. I’m pretty sure she’s way slower (and less skilled) than Trevor or Richter.
    I don't recall many exceptional speed feats from Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    she does not want any part of dracula or alucard. hell, she won't even make it to fight death.

don't you think that's weirdly fucked up?
    She didn't exactly stop Dracula on her show either.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    She didn't exactly stop Dracula on her show either.
    compared to other versions of drac, he was...........pretty much a bitch. outside of being able to come back from being dusted and some mild hypnosis powers, he wasn't really anything special.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

If we float her enough world-specific knowledge to get through a couple bits, she can probably make it up to fighting Alucard. I dunno what happens there specifically - I think she can deal with what he shows in that scene, but later stuff maybe recontextualizes it. Things go downhill after that for a bunch of reasons.

There are a whole lot of unnamed vampires in Netflixvania that I think she would beat just fine, but just about any of the named/significant ones (that actually fight) are a problem, but less on stats, more on weird powers. I think she could beat 90% of even the significant ones in just a straight forward punch up or sword fight, but they've all got really good magic or weird stuff of various flavours. Carmilla could probably beat her on stats, but Carmilla has some pretty really good feats in the last season, probably some of the best and cleanest in terms of strength and speed. But for the most part, the significant vampires come off to me as having some really good weird tricks like teleporting or wire **** but not actually a lot to back themselves up once that's overcome. Plenty to beat Buffy with for the most part, but I don't think the vampires who are lacking those tricks and also lacking the feats that characters like Carmillla, Dragan, and Dracula have are actually all that much tougher than what Buffy's used to. Netflixvania vampires don't really come off as having any particular stock set of powers besides immortality and somewhat heightened stats (and I'm not sure even *that's* a given, considering the sheer mookery of the vampire footsoldiers we see). Comparatively, I think your standard Whedonverse vamp is actually doing quite a bit better starting out, and they really only die from the specific vampire weaknesses, where standard-ass Netflixvania vampires generally seem to die from pretty much anything that will kill a human.

There's a bit of difficulty in that Netflixvania abstracts space and size a *lot* in some of its fight scenes, like in a good way for making a cool show, but also in a way that makes it kind of hard to tell just how mobile the characters are at times. Like there's a very clear shot of Trevor facing down a Death that looks around 7-8 times his height while standing on a platform that looks in the area of 20 feet wide. By the end, without anything actually changing, Death is like Godzilla sized and that platform is the size of a football field. It's great and I love it and think it's a great choice to just abstract all that stuff and make it be what it feels like, but also I'm not 100% sure what's actually going on in some scenes as far as feats go. Like in his first few swings, Death absolutely carves more stone off that section of the castle than was there in the profile shot, but still has enough space to backhand Trevor into the outfield (with hands that have gone from being about half Trevor's size to twice Trevor's size). There's a similar profile shot to the start not to far into the fight where Trevor has shrunk down to smaller than Death's eye socket. There could be some perspective going on, but not *that* much. A lot of the fight scenes do this, though not quite as much.

Anyway, I think it makes them look like they're doing more than they are sometimes.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 10-08-2023 at 12:36 AM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Obviously she is not beating Dracula, Death, Alucard etc, or most of Dracula's top court.
    But yea, the run of the mill vamps, and some of the named vampires (little Godbrand) and nightcreatures? sure, she faced similiar and worse.

Carmilla and some of her sisters, like Striga in her day armor are also probably too much for buffy.

As for replacing Trevor and Richter, not sure where she stops with Trevor, but for Richter, she might make it to the final battle in the abbey? Where Drolta most likely kills her. The other uber vamps, Olrox and Erzsebet weren't really fighting Richter.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Eeeeh, I'm not sure Striga's really outside Buffy's ability, day armour or not. IIRC, she mostly fought what amounted to angry peasants, and I'm pretty sure Buffy could beat an unlimited number of those too. Without some better feats, Buffy's warped thicker and better steel than some 1400s plate. Striga punched out a horse and bisects people with that big sword, which seems about in Buffy's strength bracket (albeit with different kinds of feats), but I'm not sure she's got the speed to stop Buffy from disarming her and cracking her open like a lobster. Also she was panting for breath after a handful of swings with that sword. Compare with "my arm's not even tired yet" on a hammer Spike couldn't even lift.

...not sure Striga is actually a very good general either. Like come on lady, you know the daytime is a problem. Get a dog or something that can make noise when humans come along. Or a tarp or *something.* Sunlight doesn't even seem that hard to avoid in this setting; there's vampires handling it with little umbrellas! Some were avoiding it with little hoods! You were my favourite design and it *pains* me to say these things about you.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands