View Poll Results: It would be possible to repeat it again, thus Part 2?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but it would take a lot of brainstorm from both sides, also copyrights issues.

22 68.75%
  • Never Ever, both bridges were burned and Some doesn't even want it to happen again.

10 31.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Cool This Year marks the 20 Years of JLA/Avengers: the big canon event for the big 2

Last month marked the release of JLA/Avengers 1 drawn by the late and great George Perez(may God bless him) and written by Kurt Busiek.

This crossover not only was the biggest Love letter for all super hero sagas but also the Hallmark of the big 2 after the Comic Crash of the 90's, a crossover on which is remembered by having not only some of the best stories of how DC and Marvel would work together but also a sendoff of a age long gone and something that sadly will never happen these days due to events following after it was done.

Also it made possibly the best and still the most memorable cover art of all comic books history, personally the top 1 of all, which is Superman's Last Stand at the end wielding Captain America's shield and Mjolnir with both Multiverses clashing as the Crisis is at its peak.

Recently i got myself to read all over it again and i must say, it aged well.
    Also, some people say that the events of this comic influenced what would happen after during the remaining of the 2000's for both sides, though i don't think this is possible.
    Though it is still "canon" that all heroes and villains from both sides still has memories of what happened, though they don't mention at all.

Some of the events were mentioned in a Justice League book. There was talk of what happened to Krona.

I also personally choose to believe that channeling the DC-verse magic was what really messed up Scarlet Witch in later marvel stories. As much as I'd like a sequel, even igornignt he legal issues, you simply can't get George Perez back and without him, it looses something. I don't think there's another artist that could pull the series off the way he did and still make it feel classic to both universes.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Some of the events were mentioned in a Justice League book. There was talk of what happened to Krona.

I also personally choose to believe that channeling the DC-verse magic was what really messed up Scarlet Witch in later marvel stories. As much as I'd like a sequel, even igornignt he legal issues, you simply can't get George Perez back and without him, it looses something. I don't think there's another artist that could pull the series off the way he did and still make it feel classic to both universes.
    Seeing that Johns brought Gary Frank back for Doomsday Clock, i would love to see him drawing this one.

Ha, can't believe it's been that long since it came out. I've read it from time to time and yeah I still feel that it holds up. Just some of my random thoughts:

- It was such a love letter to both Marvel and DC and it was such a treat for the fans. Yes, there were the big crossovers with the two teams. But the sharpest of fans geeked out over the briefly mentioned crossovers. Mongol attacked by the Brood. The Shi'ar Imperial guard trying to quell Lobo. And that was just in the first issue!

Of course, there was the commentary. DC heroes saw the Marvel Universe as too out of control due to the Avengers' negligence. Flash getting attacked by an angry mob in the Marvel Universe because he was perceived to be a mutant. The destruction of Genosha. Batman stopping Punisher's rampage. On the other hand, Marvel heroes saw DC heroes as taking away freedom. Cap was angry over how the people of the DC universe fawned over their heroes. And again all of that was just in the first issue!

- The miniseries made me brush up on my comic knowledge. Yeah, I knew about Dr. Doom. But what's a Source Wall? And why is Dr. Doom stuck in it?

- Way too many favorite moments. The ones that stick out to me the most are the Captain America/Batman fight since that was a hugely debated topic on the message boards at the time. I was hoping it would be more, but I applaud Busiek's handling of it.

Oh yeah, Hawkeye's comments on the Justice League:

Crack up every time. I remember Wizard Magazine pushed to have that line put in there and Busiek did it!

- Favorite issue was number four. Wow, Perez was working over time for that issue. Teams of both Avengers and Leaguers from different eras working side by side against wave after wave of Marvel and DC villains. Getting a little choked up right now as I type it because it was that good.

So yeah, JLA/Avengers was an amazing crossover. And still it holds up. But I can't help but think what if there was a new JLA/Avengers crossover today? How much has changed in twenty something years with the two companies? What characters could we see team up? Yes, with Marvel and DC in competition for billions and billions of dollars now, we'll never see it. But yeah, it would be something.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I’m the only one to vote no.

That series was lightning in a bottle. Just leave it alone.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    - It was such a love letter to both Marvel and DC and it was such a treat for the fans. Yes, there were the big crossovers with the two teams. But the sharpest of fans geeked out over the briefly mentioned crossovers. Mongol attacked by the Brood. The Shi'ar Imperial guard trying to quell Lobo. And that was just in the first issue!
    That was the part that really pleased me, was that the book was respectful of both sides, so that, as a fan of both DC and Marvel, I didn't feel like either side was being 'played down' in any way. (As often happens even in inter-office teamups, where the guest-starring character or team looks like a chump in the book they're visiting.)

The X-Men / Teen Titans crossover was also pretty cool, but other than that, the few other company-crossovers I've seen, I've not particularly liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitterman View Post
    Though it is still "canon" that all heroes and villains from both sides still has memories of what happened, though they don't mention at all.
    For Marvel, there is no reason why it can't be canon.

DC, on the other hand, has no real hard canon, let's be real. Their timeline is constantly changing. Or at least it was, not sure now.

Let's also not forget that it gave us this wonderful image of Batman getting kicked in the face by Batroc.

And nothing can ever take that away from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Let's also not forget that it gave us this wonderful image of Batman getting kicked in the face by Batroc.

And nothing can ever take that away from us.
    Lol! I love it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member

I would like to see the two companies do another crossover because it would be very beneficial for a struggling industry to have an event that big. Unlikely, but it would be wonderful.

It shouldn’t be JLA/Avengers part 2, though. That series only exists because George Pérez wanted to do it. What artist would want to try and compete with that? Better to try something else.

The original series is sometimes messy, the characterization of Superman isn’t quite right (the story requires him to act like kind of a jerk through most of it and he doesn’t get enough time to show what a good man he really is), and it’s unfortunate that there wasn’t room for all the team ups/fights fans wanted to see, like Scarlet Witch/Zatanna. But every page is a treat because it’s George Pérez, the ultimate superhero team artist, drawing the ultimate superhero team event.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I would like to see the two companies do another crossover because it would be very beneficial for a struggling industry to have an event that big. Unlikely, but it would be wonderful.

It shouldn’t be JLA/Avengers part 2, though. That series only exists because George Pérez wanted to do it. What artist would want to try and compete with that? Better to try something else.

The original series is sometimes messy, the characterization of Superman isn’t quite right (the story requires him to act like kind of a jerk through most of it and he doesn’t get enough time to show what a good man he really is), and it’s unfortunate that there wasn’t room for all the team ups/fights fans wanted to see, like Scarlet Witch/Zatanna. But every page is a treat because it’s George Pérez, the ultimate superhero team artist, drawing the ultimate superhero team event.
    Superman in this entire run has more consciousness than the entire marvel cast, as his reactions were gold.
    I would love to see his reaction once he discovers that the avengers let 2 dictators rule the entire world during after he left.
    Plus Perez captured how he was uncomfortable with Marvel Earth-616, bonus for marvel heroes wishing their own kind respected them like that as DC New Earth at that time did.

Bonus for Pietro wishing that he had access to the Speed Force as Wally.

And let's not forget captain america getting told by batman cap would win if they fight and cap later fights the guy who beat batman and has all of batmans moves--and cap beats him easy with no shield most of the fight while giving orders to both teams and still takes time to give him a speech about not using someone Elses moves!

Hawkeye joining the jla has been listed in some profiles as well.

The cosmic marvel books talked about it also with galactus getting restored from events of issue 4, plus the marvel handbooks have talked about the event.
    Two big screwups are infinity gems don't work in another universe when adam warlock used them just fine in the ultraverse and no speed force but barry used speed force just fine in quasar! Oops.

Comic felt one sided in dc favor for a bit like a two pages spread of how awful marvel is but no two spread for dc just two panels of "they have merch". Big deal so does the avengers. That made no sense from the avengers who have toys, movies and cartoons in their universe. DC needed a two page spread also to counter marvel. Then they switch it up and the avengers had beat the jla if cap didn't throw the fight. As powerful as the jla where they still would have lost to the avengers!

Avengers lose points for not calling mantis who lived in the dc universe also! You have a member who knew about that world--call them in!

Also 20 years already! Yikes!

Hawkeye trying the boomerang arrow on flash was pretty funny however. "Would have worked on whizzer!"
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-07-2023 at 02:35 PM.

Astonishing Member

It was Marvel's Earth 616 and slightly messed up DC's New Earth.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And let's not forget captain america getting told by batman cap would win if they fight and cap later fights the guy who beat batman and has all of batmans moves--and cap beats him easy with no shield most of the fight while giving orders to both teams and still takes time to give him a speech about not using someone Elses moves!
    To be fair, Batman didn't say Cap would win, just that he could ("But it would take you a very long time"). But they realized they didn't need to fight, because both of them were smart enough to realize they were being played, so they teamed up to find out why the two teams had been pitted against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    To be fair, Batman didn't say Cap would win, just that he could ("But it would take you a very long time"). But they realized they didn't need to fight, because both of them were smart enough to realize they were being played, so they teamed up to find out why the two teams had been pitted against each other.
    To be more fair, Batman has got his butt handed to him by people that he thought had no chance against him.

That's as close as Batman would come to admitting he's going to loose.