13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Earth 616

10 76.92%
  • Earth 1610(The Ultimate Universe)

1 7.69%
  • Neither

2 15.38%
    Astonishing Member

Default The Symbiote Saga - 616 Or 1610: Which Did It Better?

The Symbiote saga is one of my favorite Spider-Man stories ever told; having first experienced it through the 90’s animated show and then reading the comics version afterwards. In the comics, we have two versions of the first time Spider-Man encountered the Symbiote and fought Venom — the original 616 version where the Symbiote was had extra-terrestrial origins and the 1610(otherwise known as the “Ultimate universe” comics) written by Brian Micheal Bendis and drawn by Mark Bagely where the suit was given a more grounded spin as this organism artificially created by Peter Parker and Eddie Brock’s scientist parents in hopes of curing cancer.

Personally even though I’m primarily a 616 purist I think the Ultimates take is a bit better for me as I do think the story is a little more personal for Peter. I like the idea of the connecting Symbiote organism to Peter and Eddie’s parents but I still love the original 616 version take as well. What about you guys which version between the comics versions of the symbiote saga do you prefer and why?
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Wasn’t really a fan of Ultimate’s handling of the symbiote. I don’t mind it being man-made especially with how they wanted to be a bit more down to Earth but I hated how there was zero redeeming qualities about Venom there. Unlike in 616 where there was at least the whole Lethal Protector thing and how Peter and Eddie could occasionally put their differences aside especially when it came to Carnage, the Ultimate version basically took the joke about Venom eating brains and turned it up to 11, making it into a literal cannibal. It just felt like another aspect of the universe that was just far too cynical for its own good.

I didn't care for anything about the Ultimate symbite origin.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I think Earth-616 did it better.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

The 616 version will always be my favorite, because of the revelation that MJ always knew Pete's secret...

I vastly prefer the OG 616 Symbiote Saga.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    The 616 version will always be my favorite, because of the revelation that MJ always knew Pete's secret...

That’s honestly what ruins it for me. It completely babies Peter.

616, I felt like they were just racing through Peter's tenure wearing the black suit so they could get to Venom.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Extraordinary Member

The Animated Series one, or the Spectacular version, is probably the best overall; the idea of the suit altering Peter’s moods has been copied ever since for a reason.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Really enjoy the Ultimate version for what it is - and Eddie/Peter dynamic is great. It’s just a shame Peter didn’t spend longer in the suit.

616 wins.