Mighty Member

Default Popeye vs Tor Johnson?

I was watching a early sixties Popeye cartoon where Popeye fights The Sea Hag's henchman Toar. Afterwards, Olive says she, Popeye and Wimpy will visit Yucca Flats! "The Beast of Yucca Flats" a movie(?)starring Tor Johnson. Was it a coincidence or deliberate tie in?

Incredible Member

I’d be more interested in knowing how many on this board even know who Popeye is…lol!

Talk about a character that’s received no love in quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I’d be more interested in knowing how many on this board even know who Popeye is…lol!

I used to love all the old Popeye cartoons. I remember I opened a can of spinach in the kitchen one day as a kid and tried to Popeye the can. Well I made a mess and the stuff was nasty and I made a second mess as I got sick. My mom was not pleased at all.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I was watching a early sixties Popeye cartoon where Popeye fights The Sea Hag's henchman Toar. Afterwards, Olive says she, Popeye and Wimpy will visit Yucca Flats! "The Beast of Yucca Flats" a movie(?)starring Tor Johnson. Was it a coincidence or deliberate tie in?
    Based on what you said, I would think it was a deliberate nod.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

I know Popeye, I loved the old cartoons, and sometimes still catch them on Me TV (a channel here in America that shows retro stuff). But yeah, Popeye hasn't seen much use in a long, long time. I vaguely remember seeing part of a CGI Popeye cartoon back in the 00's, maybe a tv movie or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I know Popeye, I loved the old cartoons, and sometimes still catch them on Me TV (a channel here in America that shows retro stuff). But yeah, Popeye hasn't seen much use in a long, long time. I vaguely remember seeing part of a CGI Popeye cartoon back in the 00's, maybe a tv movie or something?
    There was this homage in Heroes.

I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

’d be more interested in knowing how many on this board even know who Popeye is…lol!

He was pretty know pre mid 2000s on tnt toons, tbs, cartoon network, syndication and others. By the way thanks to me showing them to them my nephews love the popeye cartoons. He has a ride at universal also.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I used to watch Popeye as a kid and loved it. In the canned foods isle they had the Popeye brand spinach and we used to pass it. I used to sing the theme song.

Toar is a character from Segar's original comic in the '30s.

Mighty Member

One of my favorites from the 60's is pretty bizarre: Wimpy turns into a werewolf whenever he hears the word, "hamburgers"!