Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Default Sigils vs Runes vs Glyphs vs Wards: Which Arcane mark is the most powerful?

Throughout fiction, artists and writers use these generally to describe arcane marks of power. So, throughout fiction, which of these are the most powerful and which would you prefer to wield?
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

I mean Sigils, Runes, and Glyphs are all pretty much the same thing. Writing mystic symbols to do magic. Wards are a bit more broad in the sense that they don't have to be writing or anything, but are also more restrictive in that they are almost always defensive or warnings, where as the others can incorporate any type of magic.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

That said, In Magic at least:

Wards tend to be way more powerful than Glyphs (which mostly only work on walls).

Sigils mostly just power people up, but wards could stop that.

Runes are the only competitor for Power, and that's mostly because they've been around they do a lot of wacky things, even if it IS mostly "make more mana".

But overall Protection is pretty OP, and Hexproof is on up there, so Wards win in my book.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I mean Sigils, Runes, and Glyphs are all pretty much the same thing. Writing mystic symbols to do magic.
    This.

It's like asking 'In all of fiction, what's the pecking order between Wizards, Sorcerers, Mages, Warlocks, Witches, etc?'

They're just names. Names of fictional stuff, so it's basically up to each author which is stronger in their own fictional universe.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Sigil is some crossgen thing that I never got into or understood.
    Rune is some alien/demon/vampire from the Ultraverse, who once fought Silver Surfer and another time almost got killed by Conan the Barbarian.
    Glyph is one of those lesser Transformers that nobody cares about.
    and finally, Ward played Robin alongside Adam West's Batman.

... Eh... based on all that, I'm going to have to go with Rune.

Don't know which is more powerful, but I think runes would be quickest to do. However they do have a downside that multiple of them must be used. While just a single sigil is used for one spell in just about any fiction it appears in.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 10-10-2023 at 06:20 AM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Everyone knows that the most powerful magical writing system is whatever set of graffiti tags causes the Jet Set Radio franchise's soundtrack to start playing.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I know they are often interchangeable, but what about examples of the strongest ones you have all seen?

In the Dresden Files, a Valkyrie uses a rune containing Norse lightning to blast a Grendelkin as an example.
    Last edited by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade; 10-10-2023 at 12:23 PM.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Well, Rune King Thor was broken AF, so…
    Chief Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Sigil is some crossgen thing that I never got into or understood.
    Rune is some alien/demon/vampire from the Ultraverse, who once fought Silver Surfer and another time almost got killed by Conan the Barbarian.
    Glyph is one of those lesser Transformers that nobody cares about.
    and finally, Ward played Robin alongside Adam West's Batman.

... Eh... based on all that, I'm going to have to go with Rune.
    Sigil is also the center of the universe in D&D and a city so powerful even the Gods are banned.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Sigil is also the center of the universe in D&D and a city so powerful even the Gods are banned.
    I was going to mention that, but a) it’s pronounced differently (and yes, I know these words are all written rather than spoken, but the intent is clearly more ‘sijil’ than ‘siggle’) and b) that’s more the result of the Lady of Pain’s own power, rather than the city itself. She’s very much “You step through a doorway and I end you.” to gods.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    ... which would you prefer to wield?
    Okay, if we're going with specific examples in fiction.

I have zero need to create stuff that blows people up, makes force screens of magic, or whatever of the sort.

On the other hand, runes are often used to make lasting, enduring artifacts of magic (can think of several examples off the top of my head). So, yeah. Give me the ability to work with Runes. Seems useful.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Plus Runes are a language, whereas the other don’t have much utility outside of their magic potency.

Runic knowledge could mean a whole new method of communication.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

It depends on the mechanics, of course, but I guess wards are usually an all-purpose trump against all sorts of magic, so in a way, they are more effective in that they do one thing exceedingly well against all other types. On the other hand, the only thing they really do is block/dissolve magic, so they don't have nearly the versatility of almost any other kind of magic. Ultimately, it's up to the author to decide on such things, and my knowledge of magic systems isn't extensive enough to give even a rough guestimate of the averages across various fictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Plus Runes are a language, whereas the other don’t have much utility outside of their magic potency.

Runic knowledge could mean a whole new method of communication.
    Runes keep getting better and better for me. ^_^
    Why are we here?