Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dick Grayson going to college and Bruce moving out of Wayne Manor?

Definitely Alan Moore taking over Swamp Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Definitely Alan Moore taking over Swamp Thing.
    It's funny reading something years ago and then finding out (like today) where part of it was inspired from:

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

Most of these make sense to me. The Blackhawks becoming the Junk Heap Heroes was a response to the Camp Super-Hero craze that took hold of all comics thanks to the 1966 BATMAN. Characters that weren't super-heroes were putting on masks and tights to cash in. The whole Archie gang were super-heroes. This boom was followed by a big bust as super-heroes rushed to burn their boots and trunks and go into action wearing civilian clothes--thus Diana Prince. This also explains why Dick Grayson suddenly aged enough to graduate--as they were trying to distance Batman from anything that smelled of the T.V. series.

Green Arrow giving up his old clothes and losing his fortune was a big change, but made sense as they tried to breathe life into the character. Likewise Alan Moore's idea for Swamp Thing doesn't seem so strange--it follows from what came before.

I think killing off little Arthur was a pretty hard turn. Aquaman had gone on a quest to find a member of the Aqua Family before. For him to find his son dead and at the hands of the Black Manta was a very dark development and an unheroic resolution. Granted, characters were being killed off left and right back then and super-villains were turning more vile. But killing off a little kid in a comic book? That just seems too heartless. It was strange as it seemed out of touch with most readers' values.

After a bit of thinking I would say for me the Harley Quinn title in 2000

Starts out like your typical Harley Quinn series and then around issue 26 I believe turns suddenly into Batman-type stories just with Harley Quinn in them.

Also this run has one of the best Martian Manhunter stories, I think issue 23 or something.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I thought about it, but that was the relaunch of a title though ... would that qualify for this thread? Titles frequently change up when there's a new #1.
    My thoughts was that it was more like a renumbering in that Levitz run ended one month and Giffen took over the next. It wasn't as if the book was cancelled for bad sales and was being retooled.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I think the first one I can recall was when Wonder Woman started publishing stories solely about the Earth-2 Diana during WWII (due to the success of the TV show).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Nightwing becoming a mob enforcer (I don't think that was event-driven)
    OMG! Glad it counts!! Still love the artwork from that era (XD)