Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's your favorite era for Phantom Stranger?

I haven't read a lot of him, but I did enjoy some of his bronze age stories with Terry Thirteen and I also liked his relationship building with Cassandra Craft.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Bronze Age Stranger was my favorite, FWIW. I was always happy to see him pop up in a story, even if he were just seen walking among a crowd of people in a single panel (as I recall happening in an old Batman story).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Definitely his solo series 1969-76.

Actually, any time Jim Aparo got to draw him. I loved his appearances in Brave and the Bold and his guest appearance in Batman and the Outsiders

I'm partial to Len Wein's run writing the character in the early 1970s, but that's when I first discovered him.

Retired

What's a "Bronze Age?" Is that when Tin and Copper got together?

Stories from the Phantom Stranger's first run of six issues in 1952--with stories by John Broome and Carmine Infantino--were reprinted in various comics between 1968 and 1974. So for anyone reading the Phantom Stranger during those years, the reprints would just be more Phantom Stranger stories.

Although, the original P.S. does come across as being more like Doctor Thirteen--exposing hoaxes and not necessarily a supernatural entity himself.

It's really with the 4th issue of his 1969 title that the Hippy Stranger emerges--interior art by Neal Adams. And it's with the 6th issue (first issue I bought) that the Jim Aparo run begins. This is the best of THE PHANTOM STRANGER. It ends with issue 26 (August-September 1973), the last interior art by Aparo (although he would continue to do some covers). After that Gerry Talaoc takes over. I could never get used to his art--but I don't believe he was that bad, technically.

1969 - 1973--this was really the "Golden Age of Horror" at National Periodicals--that is to say a period of great achievement in the genre.

Astonishing Member

His solo series, 1970s issues -- especially when Black Orchid appeared in back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Definitely his solo series 1969-76.

Actually, any time Jim Aparo got to draw him. I loved his appearances in Brave and the Bold and his guest appearance in Batman and the Outsiders
    ^^^I’ll have what he’s having.

Definitely the 1970s. Great art! Plus the Spawn of Frankenstein backups are interesting for the first few issues. Then it just became a bad comedy.

I much prefer the Phantom Stranger’s origin to remain a mystery. I hate when he’s given a definitive origin. The New 52 was the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I much prefer the Phantom Stranger’s origin to remain a mystery. I hate when he’s given a definitive origin.
    I agree on that one.

I should defiantly read his solo adventures. I'd always loved his look, but felt he was too much of an enigma. If someone wouldn't mind, how was he portrayed back then? Did he fight villains like Doctor Strange? Was it shown that he had a personal life, or did he simply go from case to case, fighting supernatural events? How powerful is he? Does he have limits, or did his powers fit within the structure of the story that was being told?
    I know people prefer his origin be ambiguous, but did he ever show longing of any kind?

Now for his modern iteration: how best should he be used?
    Could he function on a team?
    What should his mission be?
    How would he be different than Dr. Fate?
    Should he be as powerful as the Spectre?
    Even if we wouldn't know his origin, should he be human (dead or otherwise) or be a supernatural entity on the same level as a god?

Retired

I believe the original concept was that he should be like the mysterious narrator on a classic radio show--the Whistler, Raymond, the Mysterious Traveler, et al--the Shadow was originally one of those before he became a participant in the stories.

Of course, Joe Orlando had other mysterious narrators (inspired by his former employer, E.C.). Cain, Abel, the Three Witches rarely participated in the stories they narrated. I think Phantom Stranger was best when they struck a balance between him introducing the story and playing a part in the story. I prefer that he just comes in when he's needed, but he stays out of most of the action. He's just a bit more active than Rod Serling and Alfred Hitchcock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I agree on that one.
    ^^^I do too.
    Some writers just can’t help themselves though, they gotta go where no one’s asking them to.

Ultimate Member

On the one hand, I liked the mysterious origin, but I also really liked the 'used to be an angel' origin that was run with during his War of Heaven and Hell / Swamp Thing appearances, which were some of my favorites.

But other than that Swamp Thing appearance, I liked his drive-by Satellite League appearances more than his solo stuff. He made for a fun sort of 'quest giver' who would just mysteriously appear in the satellite, give some dire warning, and slip back into the shadows, annoying investigative types since he wasn't using the team teleporter to come and go (and teleportation wasn't a common superhero power, before Raven came along and made it cool for heroes). In his solo stuff, he was more zap-thrower like your standard comic-book magic-user, and they all kind of blur together. Zap, shield, teleport, random other casually-used plot device power that would have been super-useful last issue, but will never be seen again, even next issue when it would be super-useful again...

As someone who just showed up (mysteriously!) and warned of danger (obliquely! can't make it easy!), but had to 'activate' the team to deal with a threat, rather than go face-punch it himself, he was kind of unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    As someone who just showed up (mysteriously!) and warned of danger (obliquely! can't make it easy!), but had to 'activate' the team to deal with a threat, rather than go face-punch it himself, he was kind of unique.
    ^^^So true.
    From the way he looked w. his stylish non-costume, to the way he operated in solo stories, to the way he interacted w. the more traditional heroes, PS didn’t neatly fit into any of the standard categories. I really liked that about him.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

1st Phantom Stranger story I read was in The Brave and The Bold #145 that I got in a WHITMAN 3-pack of DC Comics at Woolworths.

WhitmanBB145.jpg