Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    With Storm easily defeating 3 of the Horsemen, I think Mr. Ewing is giving us hope before the fall of Storm.

I wouldn't be shocked if Genesis push Storm and the other heroes on Mars to their limit. Forcing them to do some extreme sh1t.

This is sign of good story telling. Make you feel like everything is going to work out. Then pull the rug-out from under your feet and destroy everything.
    2 Horsemen
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Ororo didn't kill War and Famine.
    Do you really think she's going to use Uranos or do something terrible herself?
    That’s the big question now, isn’t it? I can see Ororo pulling the trigger because she knows what needs to be done but she herself doesn’t have the stomach to do it. Once Uranos gets going though, there’s only one character on the board that can stop him. And it isn’t -A- and it isn’t Storm. It’s Death. No. Not that one. He’s as useless as his Horsemen siblings. I’m talking about the real thing. That cloaked figure behind -A-. I think that’s the [I]real[I] Death. The one who is always the Achilles Heel of that other Universe-threatening Eternal, Thanos.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Hickman is all cerebral, no emotion, or at least only the most pointed emotions. I love his words and ideas, but he doesn't do intricate emotional tapestries, which is the fundamental substructure of X-Men. We love these characters, and we go on these adventures with them and see how they all interact. That's the core and all the extra sci-fi, fantasy, social commentary, body horror, teen angst, superhero battles even are the window dressings that pepper their lives. But we have to care about them and see them caring about each other. That was lost in Hickman's run for the sake of his clever ideas, which he didn't even get to finish his thought, so...

I feel like Ewing is the perfect person to take a central role for the whole X-Line like Hickman got to do, or even like how Claremont did back in the day. Marvel has him spread all around different properties, but if you focus him on the X-Line on several books, and kinda giving ideas to a few other writers for a few more, you could have something great. His SWORD, Red, S&tB, Cable oneshot, and Thor books have all been nearly flawless. Fun adventures, cool battles, nice character beats, it's all there. Consistency, issue after issue, very good pacing. I will say I though his return to Red had been a little soft in comparison to his previous work, but this issue really turned up the heat in the right direction.

I don't know what the new editor has in mind, but whenever Lord Ewing finishes his run with the mutants, a great treasure will have been lost. I can understand wanting longer, more drawn out battles, and getting into the intricacies of every single character in this war. We are now used to something like Game of Thrones going on and on for dozens of hours examining all these characters. Monthly 20 pages can't do that. Ewing is painting with broad strokes at times, but I think he's doing a great work. My only criticism is I want more.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see some emotional character work by Hickman in his GODS #1 (the bar scene). It seems he's stretching himself in that regard so hopefully that continues.

I fully agree with everything above about Ewing.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    2 Horsemen
    It's 3 Horsemen Storm has beaten. He is counting the Time Storm beat the Horseman Death in XoS.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

BANNED

Hmm... I thought active X-Gene mutants were barred from using the Krakoan Gate system in the aftermath of the Gala Massacre...

Perhaps I missed something but how is it that En Sabah Nur is casually using them here, now?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Hmm... I thought active X-Gene mutants were barred from using the Krakoan Gate system in the aftermath of the Gala Massacre...

Perhaps I missed something but how is it that En Sabah Nur is casually using them here, now?
    It's not a Krakoa gate,
    Poccy's using the thrid Okkara gate,
    the same that Genesis uses to get back to Arakko and send her army from Amenth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to see some emotional character work by Hickman in his GODS #1 (the bar scene). It seems he's stretching himself in that regard so hopefully that continues.

I fully agree with everything above about Ewing.
    GODS was classic Hickman, but I wasn't enthused. I wish he had gotten to finish his X-run the way he originally wanted to, but I am also glad he's moved on. I think his FF run was by far his best Marvel stuff. I think that small family unit allowed him to get the emotional beats, while still focusing on his hyper-intellectual Reed. When I circled back to his Avengers run right after HoX, I realized he wasn't going to be able to pull the X-Men off, at least not really. Clever ideas, symmetrical execution, but ultimately formulaic and heartless. That woman in GODS felt like an Emma reskin, and while he was trying to invoke some emotions, it all still came across as sterile to me. If you saw that as improvement, you certainly have the right to your own opinion... but I would agree to disagree.

Glad we can agree on Ewing, though!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I'm also praying for Apocalypse vs Uranos. Apocalypse at his best has absolute control of his molecules and a healing factor rivaling the best of them... Uranos only has an hour Big A need only distract for that time and I wanna see it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Regent View Post
    I'm also praying for Apocalypse vs Uranos. Apocalypse at his best has absolute control of his molecules and a healing factor rivaling the best of them... Uranos only has an hour Big A need only distract for that time and I wanna see it!
    I kinda want to see Uranos destroying Amenth. Show that uppity Anihilation what is what.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This book continues to be so good, I'm dreading the day it will eventually come to an end.

So much deserved praise gets heaped over Mr Ewing but I need to point out how insanely good Yildiray Cinar is getting. I'm getting a strong Mahmud Asrar quality from his pages, as shapes get rounder, characters more expressive and pages are filled with exquisite detail. I enjoyed his art when he did a few issues of the relaunched Uncanny X-Men a few years ago but his Red is even better.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    I kinda want to see Uranos destroying Amenth. Show that uppity Anihilation what is what.
    LOL Right !? I'd LOVE to see that. I think Uranos would have so much fun destroying an Endless Horde of Demons.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by guanlishabi View Post
    It's not a Krakoa gate,
    Poccy's using the thrid Okkara gate,
    the same that Genesis uses to get back to Arakko and send her army from Amenth.
    And, here I thought all of the Gates despite their origin source were tethered to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Oooh. I like this.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    And, here I thought all of the Gates despite their origin source were tethered to one another.
    All the Krakoan gates were tethered. Okkaran gates are unique, they don't even need a plant on the other side in place to work.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    All the Krakoan gates were tethered. Okkaran gates are unique, they don't even need a plant on the other side in place to work.
    Ah... I see.