Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Fair enough. I’d just also say I think a big part is that the criticism of Duggan’s Kate focus is partly born of years of fans seeing high profile faves used to market Duggan’s books only to get ignored in favor of just one or two focal characters like Kate. As jbenito said, nobody’s specifically disappointed by the sidelining of established characters being used to get ppl to pick up XMen Red only to see the book only utilize one of them, Storm. She IS the only established character being used to promote the book, other than Roberto. But Duggan’s established a trend of loading his casts up with Storm, Iceman and Bishop only to only write about Kate and Emma, then the Year One cast where half of them got maybe a single issue of focus, then the Year Two cast where once again most of them barely did anything….thus the criticism has built up over time. Versus this where like….yes Ororo is getting more page time than anyone else but it’s not like Ewing brought in a bunch of A list mutants to be part of the Great Ring in order to get readers to try the book but then inexplicably sidelines them just to make it the Storm show.
    At least Ewing writes Nova better than Duggan writes Firestar.

I think the only critique that X-Men Red gets from its detractors is that they think actual X-men characters should be filling the roles of this sideline characters.

For example, Blink being used instead of Syzya.

Or more of Storm's X-men peers coming to her aid.

But IMO I love how Ewing has really nurtured and took his time to develop Arrako and not just toss it to the side.

It'll be a loss when he completes his X-men journey.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Fair enough. I’d just also say I think a big part is that the criticism of Duggan’s Kate focus is partly born of years of fans seeing high profile faves used to market Duggan’s books only to get ignored in favor of just one or two focal characters like Kate. As jbenito said, nobody’s specifically disappointed by the sidelining of established characters being used to get ppl to pick up XMen Red only to see the book only utilize one of them, Storm. She IS the only established character being used to promote the book, other than Roberto. But Duggan’s established a trend of loading his casts up with Storm, Iceman and Bishop only to only write about Kate and Emma, then the Year One cast where half of them got maybe a single issue of focus, then the Year Two cast where once again most of them barely did anything….thus the criticism has built up over time. Versus this where like….yes Ororo is getting more page time than anyone else but it’s not like Ewing brought in a bunch of A list mutants to be part of the Great Ring in order to get readers to try the book but then inexplicably sidelines them just to make it the Storm show.
    "This is your planet. We're just the people who live here." - Isca
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.

It was a good book my favourite issue of fall of x soo far. It really topped children of the vault #1 for me. Ewing seems to be setting up a lot whilst bring a lot to an end. A 10 out of 10 issue for ewing but what's new. Cant wait to see what apocalypse and storm talk about in issues 17.
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I think the only critique that X-Men Red gets from its detractors is that they think actual X-men characters should be filling the roles of this sideline characters.

For example, Blink being used instead of Syzya.

Or more of Storm's X-men peers coming to her aid.

But IMO I love how Ewing has really nurtured and took his time to develop Arrako and not just toss it to the side.

It'll be a loss when he completes his X-men journey.
    I have only heard this critique a few times. I hear that some find it boring. It's like reading a novel and the small minority want feats over a big story. They tend to downplay character growth and the heroes journey.

I am glad the others aren't there. The last few years storm was taking care of kitty and a side character for a character she raised. It was insulting. Now she's the focus and the story is about her facing the one thing she's been afraid of facing for 50 years, her own darkness and the destructive potential it creates she's having to do the one thing she's been afraid of, growth.

No other writer has come close to her facing this darkness with all her powers in tact. Usually she goes bezerk when she's powerless, on vampires, the brood... All of the other omegas love their power, storm rightly fears hers.

The X-men on earth are playing small battling an enemy they could beat in their sleep. Storm would have been relegated to fitting into that mold and in red she's doing the opposite with the fate of two worlds in the balance. Long live lord Ewing.
    Last edited by OG Storm; 10-11-2023 at 11:36 AM.

The level of satisfaction I got from seeing both War and Pestilence get SHUT UP is incomprehensible...
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Great issue. This is the first time it’s really felt like there’s a war raging, rather than being told there is through exposition and dialogue. Sunspot’s devastation, Storm’s anger, even Death’s faltering philosophy all fed into the plot and developed their characters at the same time.

I can’t wait to see what Storm does next and how the Uranos trigger is used. I’m wondering if Genesis will somehow get hold of it and release Uranos on her side, giving Storm the opportunity to avenge Magneto’s death.

I wasn’t that interested in the Arakki at first and I still find some of them to be attempts to be creative or weird as opposed to being solid characters, but for the most part, I like them and am invested in their journey. To me, it would make no sense if this story were being told with other, better known characters because this is the Arakki’s story - it works because it’s their home and their culture at stake. The world-building Ewing has been doing is around them and Storm. This is their fight.

I do think that Ewing has trouble writing compelling, fast-paced action scenes. Storm decimating the Horsemen was great, but it didn’t feel like a free-flowing battle. It felt more like a chess match, with each character making their move separately in turn, so while Storm got some awesome moments, it didn’t feel as frenetic as it could have. Still, it’s hard to complain about this when Storm was as badass as she was.

The only part I really disliked was Nova’s death. He’s been treated as a punching bag throughout this run like he didn’t lead a war against the Annihilation Wave, which makes Genesis and her army look like the Serpent Society. I like that he’s built a relationship with the X-Men and hope that pays off in the future, but with a writer that cares about Rich a little more.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

I remember when Ewing was writing other team books like Mighty/NEW/USAvengers or Ultimates, and managed to make every character useful and to show there should be no such thing as A or B or C listers.
    And now he is writing X-Men Red like DBZ. A bunch of good characters running around being useless, waiting for big name A-list X-woman Ororo the Unbeatable to show up and end the fight.
    It happened during the Xandra asassination attempt, with Vulcan, and in almost every issue of that Arakko Civil War.
    This is Aaron or Bendis level of character wankery, and other characters suffer from it.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I remember when Ewing was writing other team books like Mighty/NEW/USAvengers or Ultimates, and managed to make every character useful and to show there should be no such thing as A or B or C listers.
    And now he is writing X-Men Red like DBZ. A bunch of good characters running around being useless, waiting for big name A-list X-woman Ororo the Unbeatable to show up and end the fight.
    It happened during the Xandra asassination attempt, with Vulcan, and in almost every issue of that Arakko Civil War.
    This is Aaron or Bendis level of character wankery, and other characters suffer from it.
    It didn't happen with the Vulcan fight, it was the opposite, same thing with brand. Storm is the lead of the book, Magneto and other characters have had powerful moments in the book. He has done more to develop the arakki and center them as the subject that is most important. Storm is the pov character and the lead. She's made mistakes and yet she's doing the opposite of what's she's always done. She chose Arrako and they are fighting for their independence. The theme of the book to many people is the power of community or called by its detractors the power of friendship. I don't understand how that's not clear.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    It didn't happen with the Vulcan fight, it was the opposite, same thing with brand. Storm is the lead of the book, Magneto and other characters have had powerful moments in the book. He has done more to develop the arakki and center them as the subject that is most important. Storm is the pov character and the lead. She's made mistakes and yet she's doing the opposite of what's she's always done. She chose Arrako and they are fighting for their independence. The theme of the book to many people is the power of community or called by its detractors the power of friendship. I don't understand how that's not clear.
    I also don’t think any other characters have been made to look useless to promote Storm. She’s had big moments but so have most of the rest of the cast. Her moments haven’t been at the expense of other characters.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    I also don’t think any other characters have been made to look useless to promote Storm. She’s had big moments but so have most of the rest of the cast. Her moments haven’t been at the expense of other characters.
    I would agree.

I mean it wasn't long ago Vulcan just put the Smack Down on Gladiator, Nova, Frenzy and that Skrull Diplomat. And Sunspot tanked a Full Blast from Vulcan. All these characters are getting Good Moments, story and character development along with Storm. Sure, this may be a Storm Centered Book, but the People around her are in fact getting A LOT of Panel time along with her.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    I would agree.

I mean it wasn't long ago Vulcan just put the Smack Down on Gladiator, Nova, Frenzy and that Skrull Diplomat. And Sunspot tanked a Full Blast from Vulcan. All these characters are getting Good Moments, story and character development along with Storm. Sure, this may be a Storm Centered Book, but the People around her are in fact getting A LOT of Panel time along with her.
    Ya I sometimes feel other characters could get a little more screen time but he manages to give everyone a respectable moment or growth by the end of an arc. I think he has something planned for Sunspot with the way he had him talking, I don’t think Nova is dead, Magneto is coming back, and so is Vulcan. I have trust in Ewings writing. He hasn’t let me down yet.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I am thriller they remember Peter Corbeau. It's berm ages since we seen him last.

Though let Kate Pryde stay away from him, we know what she does with all Peters she has met.

I do hope they will use him more often now.

Also love they used Loolo, Kobb and Craig again.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Tbh I don't think Nova is dead. They pointed out that death would safely be able to touch him RIGHT before he turned on his family. That's a clear solution to get him some aid in the next issue. IIRC a couple of mutants survived that arrow attack back in XoS. Also Ewing has a CLEAR affinity for the character and has been writing him for years. I doubt he permanently kills him off in such a lackluster way.
    Yeah that's what I think too. Nova is Ewing's pet. He won't let Rich die.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    Great issue. This is the first time it’s really felt like there’s a war raging, rather than being told there is through exposition and dialogue. Sunspot’s devastation, Storm’s anger, even Death’s faltering philosophy all fed into the plot and developed their characters at the same time.

I can’t wait to see what Storm does next and how the Uranos trigger is used. I’m wondering if Genesis will somehow get hold of it and release Uranos on her side, giving Storm the opportunity to avenge Magneto’s death.

I wasn’t that interested in the Arakki at first and I still find some of them to be attempts to be creative or weird as opposed to being solid characters, but for the most part, I like them and am invested in their journey. To me, it would make no sense if this story were being told with other, better known characters because this is the Arakki’s story - it works because it’s their home and their culture at stake. The world-building Ewing has been doing is around them and Storm. This is their fight.

I do think that Ewing has trouble writing compelling, fast-paced action scenes. Storm decimating the Horsemen was great, but it didn’t feel like a free-flowing battle. It felt more like a chess match, with each character making their move separately in turn, so while Storm got some awesome moments, it didn’t feel as frenetic as it could have. Still, it’s hard to complain about this when Storm was as badass as she was.

The only part I really disliked was Nova’s death. He’s been treated as a punching bag throughout this run like he didn’t lead a war against the Annihilation Wave, which makes Genesis and her army look like the Serpent Society. I like that he’s built a relationship with the X-Men and hope that pays off in the future, but with a writer that cares about Rich a little more.
    It's an X-Men book so Ewing probably isn't able to show off Nova in all his fabulous glory. If this was a Guardians or Nova book, Rich would probably be one shoting most of these guys. He certainly has the power to do so.