Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Bringing Back a Married Spider-Man - The Official Appeal - The Discord is Live!

Well, everyone, big update.

The official "Spider-Fam" Community Discord is created and currently getting everything set up. I have to get in there and hammer in the rules, mission statements, get moderators set up, etc... but this is hopefully going to be ground zero for any movement, organizing, and planning.

Before this goes "public", I'm going to be asking for volunteers to help me build up to an acceptable state to handle what I'm hoping are a lot of users with the means for continued discussion, outreach, and development. This thing started here at CBR, so anyone interested, here is the sign-up link. It's a skeleton server right now, but with time I'm thinking this thing is going to be jumping. At least if we play our cards right.

https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

I take a deep breath. This is... well, if this does have any positive progress, it starts here. Right here. Right now. It's real.

I don't know where this is ultimately going to go. Maybe nowhere. Maybe EVERYWHERE. I don't know what on earth is going to happen next...

Thank you in advance to everyone who pushed for this, who will be part of this, and what kind of positive impact we might have.
    Last edited by Garlador; 12-27-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Alright, I'm in, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Alright, I'm in, lol.
    I've got a "beta testing" channel created, which I welcome anyone here to jump in and be a part of. Feel free to invite whomever you feel might be able to help us get set up. I'm open that my proficiencies in social outreach might be a tad outdated, so helping this dinosaur out is certainly appreciated. I promise I'll do my best to get this thing in tip-top shape by at least this Saturday. I have dozens of people requesting I give them the invite once it's good to go public.

Fantastic Member

I’ve joined and will happily participate in any sort of letter writing or other mass fan campaign we can try to put together

Nice, but it won’t do any good. Marvel doesn’t want to do it, so they’re not going to do it until there’s someone in charge that gives them the green light. We’ve had several opportunities over the years and it feels like the rug gets pulled out at the last minute. I wish you luck, but I feel it will be fruitless…

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Nice, but it won’t do any good. Marvel doesn’t want to do it, so they’re not going to do it until there’s someone in charge that gives them the green light. We’ve had several opportunities over the years and it feels like the rug gets pulled out at the last minute. I wish you luck, but I feel it will be fruitless…
    Maybe, maybe not.

But one thing I've learned and experienced with comics is that the only constant in life is "change".

I've lived through over 7 leadership changes with Marvel. Some of them were very pro-marriage!... and, clearly, some of them were very anti-marriage. Marvel and Spidey Office isn't a hive mind, and there are people working there right now that are very much in favor of the marriage but aren't in a position to make that change. Maybe leadership will change its mind, and maybe leadership itself will change.

DC comics also underwent plenty of changes over the decades I've read. Even just a few years ago, some of the people in charge were hellbent that NO superhero could get have a marriage, that superheroes "had to sacrifice their happiness" for the job as an editorial mandate, and some of the best heroes like Wally and Nightwing were targeted as examples of characters they wanted gone, killed, erased, or diminished. It took leadership changeover for these characters to bounce back (and, hey, some of them are in award-winning, best-selling books right now!).

I'm not ignorant of the current odds stacked against us. I'm also not somebody who sits around and does nothing hoping things will get better. Maybe it does go nowhere. Maybe it fails. But at least I can say I was part of an effort to try and make things better. I'm also not someone who thinks it would all be for nothing if they dig their feet in the ground and refuse to budge. Maybe we'll get a book like Spider-Girl relaunched. Maybe we'll change more minds and keep the movement alive with stronger voices than before. Maybe we'll inspire someone who one day will be in a position of power to make meaningful change. You never know where you'll end up on a journey like this.

I just know it'll be somewhere else, and I want to see what that looks like.

Given that Ultimate Spider-man is going to middle aged, yo guy should maybe support that book as well

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    Given that Ultimate Spider-man is going to middle aged, yo guy should maybe support that book as well
    I need more information, but I like everything they shared.

Fantastic Member

I’ll support anything that’s good Peter Parker content. This looks like it will be. And it’s got an artist that’s an all-timer on it.

Wait, what?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It has absolutely catapulted its way to our attention. IF it's what we hope it is, then it's a no-brainer and probably fits our campaign better than even "Spider-Girl" or "Renew Your Vows" does.

I don't want to get my hopes up but... yes. This feels like a direct response to the legion of complaints asking for Peter to be allowed to move on with his life.

The last time Ultimate Spider-Man launched, Marvel said it shook their entire office to the core and their whole approach to the character and how they market and write him changed. Miles coming along later did it all over again.

So if this has the same kind of positive impact... it could be the break we've all been asking for.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    It has absolutely catapulted its way to our attention. IF it's what we hope it is, then it's a no-brainer and probably fits our campaign better than even "Spider-Girl" or "Renew Your Vows" does.

I don't want to get my hopes up but... yes. This feels like a direct response to the legion of complaints asking for Peter to be allowed to move on with his life.

The last time Ultimate Spider-Man launched, Marvel said it shook their entire office to the core and their whole approach to the character and how they market and write him changed. Miles coming along later did it all over again.

So if this has the same kind of positive impact... it could be the break we've all been asking for.
    Or will Marvel just use it as a substitute (e.g. "we don't have to listen to the fans and get rid of OMD because they can just read this other series instead")?

Do we have any indication at this point that the series will be featuring Peter and MJ married at all?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Or will Marvel just use it as a substitute (e.g. "we don't have to listen to the fans and get rid of OMD because they can just read this other series instead")?

Do we have any indication at this point that the series will be featuring Peter and MJ married at all?
    No, which is why I'm cautiously optimistic.

With the Discord live, things are moving pretty fast. IF this book is what we hope it is, then it'll be paramount to get our messaging on-point and unified, letting Marvel know exactly what we're doing, why we're doing it, and what our requested outcome is. Our support may be contingent on those factors.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

I found this interesting snippet the other day and I don't know where to share it, so I figured a thread about the marriage would probably do:

Image1.jpg

From a Tobey Maguire interview in The Wizard Mega Movie Issue, 2007 (just before Spider-Man 3). Fans were calling on Marvel to dissolve the marriage?! That's the first I've heard of this!
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

Well if it does, you guys need to make sure Ultimate outsells Amazing! Then they'd get the message.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman