Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 457
  1. #31
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,899

    Default

    And at least this is an alternate universe. It's my opinion that 616 Peter Parker shouldn't get married but date his revived Gwen Stacy rather than Mary Jane Watson. Having characters in in a world with a sliding timeline get married and have kids is rarely a good option. The good writers can create new concepts but not lost the key aspects that the characters appealing. I am tired of people demanding these kinds of changes. Writers who do it are lazy and not creative enough to add dynamic ideas that don't break the characters.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  2. #32
    Fantastic Member Kurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    And at least this is an alternate universe. It's my opinion that 616 Peter Parker shouldn't get married but date his revived Gwen Stacy rather than Mary Jane Watson. Having characters in in a world with a sliding timeline get married and have kids is rarely a good option. The good writers can create new concepts but not lost the key aspects that the characters appealing. I am tired of people demanding these kinds of changes. Writers who do it are lazy and not creative enough to add dynamic ideas that don't break the characters.
    I really don’t see how getting married or having kids breaks characters. The character is the same, just at a different stage in their life. Plus there’s only so many stories of the same status quo and conflicts you can do before it gets tired. Eventually the character should progress and move on, or else things will get boring. There’s a reason you never hear anyone talk about the Simpsons. And if you want to get your unmarried Spider-Man itch, the issues have never been easier to read with marvel unlimited.

  3. #33
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,899

    Default

    A good writer knows how to write stories that people talk about. These are stories that should never end and progressing the characters to different parts of their life in a sliding timeline does indeed break a character. There are fundamental aspects of characters in pop culture that should not be messed with. And you say that people can read the old stuff, I do, but too many people don't and let new comics define the characters with no desire of reading back issues. You can look no further than the X-Books. A fake fandom who don't know who the characters or have read any back issues used to be at all and bully the real fandom. And that fake fandom now writing comics and other writers pandering to them with awful stories.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  4. #34
    Mighty Member Garlador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    I really don’t see how getting married or having kids breaks characters. The character is the same, just at a different stage in their life. Plus there’s only so many stories of the same status quo and conflicts you can do before it gets tired. Eventually the character should progress and move on, or else things will get boring. There’s a reason you never hear anyone talk about the Simpsons. And if you want to get your unmarried Spider-Man itch, the issues have never been easier to read with marvel unlimited.
    Marvel is basically fighting back against an ever-increasing progression for the entire Marvel universe, while Peter is "frozen" in place and it becomes more untenable as the years progress.

    Regarding kids - and JUST the Marvel side - we're currently in an age where Hulk, Venom, Moon Knight, Deadpool, Wolverine, TWO Spider-Women, Cyclops, Reed & Sue, Luke Cage & Jessica Jones, Tigra, Ant-Man, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Ghost Rider, Blade, Star-Lord, Black Knight, and even perennial teenage mallrat Jubilee have become parents. The son of Peter's best friend from college & Liz is now 10 years old. Betty Brant is a mother. Mary Jane herself has now LOST FOUR KIDS in the 616 universe.

    ... How much longer can they pretend Peter is perpetually 28 (especially with all the time-skips Wells keeps using) as the rest of the Marvel universe ages around him?

    For logical, organic storytelling, the character needs to grow. There have been multiple younger generations of heroes introduced since his marriage that run circles around him in the "young, single hero" department (Miles included).
    Last edited by Garlador; 10-31-2023 at 07:33 AM.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

  5. #35
    Spectacular Member Ubauba01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I personally don't care that much about the Spider-Marriage. I like the Brand New Day era.

  6. #36
    Mighty Member Garlador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubauba01 View Post
    I personally don't care that much about the Spider-Marriage. I like the Brand New Day era.
    Almost nothing in BND would fundamentally change if Peter and MJ were married outside of losing Peter wasting time sleeping around and dating charisma-vacuums like Carlie and Michelle.

    If readers wanted a young, hip single Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis was largely hailed as the superior book of that era.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

  7. #37
    Spectacular Member Ubauba01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Almost nothing in BND would fundamentally change if Peter and MJ were married outside of losing Peter wasting time sleeping around and dating charisma-vacuums like Carlie and Michelle.

    If readers wanted a young, hip single Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis was largely hailed as the superior book of that era.
    Marriage is better as alternate timeline stuff IMO (Spider-Girl, RYW, Peter B Parker).

    Maybe I think so because most Spider-Man comics I read were BND.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 10-31-2023 at 09:03 AM.

  8. #38
    Mighty Member Garlador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubauba01 View Post
    Marriage is better as alternate timeline stuff IMO (Spider-Girl, RYW, Peter B Parker).

    Maybe I think so because most Spider-Man comics I read were BND.
    Isn’t that an argument for the opposite? The existence of the MAIN book moving forward is what inspired the creation of alternate timelines in the first place.



    A long-running book has much more history and character development to move heroes forward through the stages of their lives than AUs that rarely last a few years to get them to that same point. You can tell any single, stand-alone Spider-Man story in an alternate universe more easily than a married one, because there’s less history and baggage attached.
    Last edited by Garlador; 10-31-2023 at 09:11 AM.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

  9. #39
    Mighty Member marvelprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Almost nothing in BND would fundamentally change if Peter and MJ were married outside of losing Peter wasting time sleeping around and dating charisma-vacuums like Carlie and Michelle.

    If readers wanted a young, hip single Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis was largely hailed as the superior book of that era.
    I liked Peter with Carlie and Michelle, which couldn’t have been done with a married Peter.

  10. #40
    Mighty Member Garlador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I liked Peter with Carlie and Michelle, which couldn’t have been done with a married Peter.
    Someone likes Sue with Namor. So should we erase her marriage to Reed now? You can’t do this with a married Sue after all, right?

    If Spider-Man writers want Peter sleeping around and casually dating, why not just ask them for an alternate universe book they doesn’t have two decades of marriage baggage they insist you ignore?

    I had no problem with Peter and Kitty dating in Ultimate for that very reason.
    Last edited by Garlador; 10-31-2023 at 09:17 AM.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

  11. #41
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I liked Peter with Carlie and Michelle, which couldn’t have been done with a married Peter.
    You liked Peter having blackout drunken sex with Michelle that he can’t remember and Michelle being r*ped by deception by the Chameleon?

    You’re right, those stories probably wouldn’t be told with a married Peter. But then, they probably should never have been told with a single Peter, either.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

    — Stan Lee

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member Tuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Someone likes Sue with Namor. So should we erase her marriage to Reed now? You can’t do this with a married Sue after all, right?
    You know, I've always just assumed some editor will eventually give the green light to an affair. It wouldn't even make the top 5 most insane decisions Marvel has ever made.

  13. #43
    Mighty Member Garlador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    You liked Peter having blackout drunken sex with Michelle that he can’t remember and Michelle being r*ped by deception by the Chameleon?

    You’re right, those stories probably wouldn’t be told with a married Peter. But then, they probably should never have been told with a single Peter, either.
    I didn’t want to say it, but yeah. The Michelle stuff was insanely gross and tone-deaf.

    Sure, we could have this again:


    OR we can have emotionally detached drunken sex and rape storylines instead. Gross.

    I would trade the latter for something actually meaningful in a heartbeat.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

  14. #44
    Spectacular Member Ubauba01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Isn’t that an argument for the opposite? The existence of the MAIN book moving forward is what inspired the creation of alternate timelines in the first place.


    .
    I suppose it's just a matter of personal vision for the main book, as in what you want out of it.

    If the main book features a single Spider-Man, then a married Spider-Man would automatically be AU or a prequel taking place before OMD. If the main book features a married Spider-Man, then vice versa.

    I realize me not caring about the marriage is an unpopular opinion on online circles but whatever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    A long-running book has much more history and character development to move heroes forward through the stages of their lives than AUs that rarely last a few years to get them to that same point. You can tell any single, stand-alone Spider-Man story in an alternate universe more easily than a married one, because there’s less history and baggage attached.
    Well, It wouldnt too hard to write. MC2 Peter and MJ have essentially the same history as 616 up until Clone Saga.

    Also remember if it was solely about the character's progress through life, then Peter would grow old and die. I guess I just don't care much for the marriage part of the character pprogress. Nowadays, many people don't have a strong desire to marry and have kids, birth rates are below replacement rate in many countries.

  15. #45
    Astonishing Member Tuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubauba01 View Post
    Also remember if it was solely about the character's progress through life, then Peter would grow old and die. I guess I just don't care much for the marriage part of the character pprogress. Nowadays, many people don't have a strong desire to marry and have kids, birth rates are below replacement rate in many countries.
    60% of American men in their 20s are single right now. But I wouldn't use that reality to ignore a key element of both Spider-Man books and Peter's personality . . . that he clearly wants to be in a relationship.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •