Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This, as the saying goes, hurts.

Over the decades, Keith was a creator who I always gave a chance on whatever project he was doing - particularly if it was for DC. His influence of the whole of the DCU is, in my opinion severely undervalued.

Damn.

I have only three pieces of original comic art on my wall (I'd have more but I can't justify paying Jack Kirby or George Perez prices). Two Curt Swans (a Superman vs. Terra-Man page, and the title page for the origin of the JLA hq written by Grant Morrison), and a page from the "All this and Kobra Too" issue of DC Comics Presents. It's the one where Superman and Ambush Bug swap brains, and Ambush Bug, in a lead helmet, runs around in Superman's body yelling "I'm blind!" Pure effin' genius.

I'll pour out a Yoo-Hoo tonight in Keith's honor.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Keith Giffen is one of the all time legends in my book. I don't think I ever read anything he wrote I didn't thoroughly enjoy. His work on Legion of Superheroes and JLI still stand as some of my all time favorite series ever. From L.E.G.I.O.N. to underrated Doom Patrol series the man put his all in everything he did. Writer, artists, legend. The man will be missed. RIP Mr Giffen

Astonishing Member

Giffen was talented, but he also had some eccentricities that didn't always benefit the work. He even admitted that he was a bit of an ahole when starting out (and possibly still). He certainly contributed a great deal to the comic book medium -- most of it good, but some of it not so good, but that is a discussion for another day.

That said, I honor the good stuff and will add, R.I.P., Keith Giffen.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Goddammit. This week just keeps getting worse and worse.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Damn man, and I recently read both Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest. Great stuff.

Rest in peace to another legend.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 10-13-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Rest In Peace Keith Giffen.

SoAB6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I suppose one could argue, but it would be a tough case to prove anybody ever took The Legion to the heights it enjoyed under Giffen. Peace be upon him and his.

Attachment 135131
    His Legion is when and what I got into LSH. Now with Keith and ( previously) Steve Lightle gone, the Legion seems a little more dim....

Extraordinary Member

Well, at least Karate Kid is safe at last.

Bad joke. I loved his work. Paul Levitz is a great writer but you could see the quality jump big time when Giffen came onto LSH in the early 80s. And he just kept surprising and entertaining us from that point forward.

Giffen was a comic book genius. Whether plotting or drawing, he always brought high quality to any book he was involved with.

A big part of my childhood just left us. He will be missed.

Rest in peace
    BB

Unhappy

So sad. He might be my single favorite DC creator -artist and writer, if you take his entire body of work into account.

I first took note of him from one issue of "Nightmask" that he drew when he was in his dark, non-traditional style. (that some people hate, but I love) Back when I used to actually follow artists around, it brought me to Dr Fate, as well as the 5YL Legion title - which created my lifelong love for the Legion! (I hit the stores and bought up as many back issues as I could)

RIP Keith Giffen - his work will live on. LLL!

Rest in peace.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Rest in peace.

Extraordinary Member

It would be great if DC would put out some of his unreleased collections.

The first 12 issues of L.E.G.I.O.N '89 or more volumes of JLA or JLE would be great.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Giffen, you'll be sorely missed.

Peace

Rest in peace.