Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

R.I.P. Keith.

A tribute to Keith Giffen in this week’s comics with art by the great Kevin Maguire.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    A tribute to Keith Giffen in this week’s comics with art by the great Kevin Maguire.

Bless Kevin Mcguire. This is a perfect tribute to Giffen. Love it. ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Bless Kevin Mcguire. This is a perfect tribute to Giffen. Love it. ❤️
    Great piece. Who's the character at the top that looks like maybe they are made of stone/concrete? Very glad to see Laurel Gand in this art.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Great piece. Who's the character at the top that looks like maybe they are made of stone/concrete? Very glad to see Laurel Gand in this art.
    Stone Boy. Legion of Substitute Heroes member. Which is weird, since Stone Boy was before Giffen's time. I'm sure there is an obvious reason that escapes me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Stone Boy. Legion of Substitute Heroes member. Which is weird, since Stone Boy was before Giffen's time. I'm sure there is an obvious reason that escapes me.
    Giffen did some stuff with the Subs, and kind of reinvented them, including changes like Polar Boy having a headfull of ice and Fire Lad's head on fire, and Chlorophyll Kid being heavy. (I kinda wanted him to go all out with the hair thing and have Chlorophyll wear a potted plant on his head and Stone Boy's hair stay in stone form and Nightgirl wear some sparkly hairnet that made her head look like a black starfield and Color Kid color his hair in rainbow stripes, just to make a gag of the changes to Fire Lad and Polar Boy.)

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Ah yeah. Specifically how Stone Boy looked in the Legion of Subs Special that Giffen did back in the 80's.

Extraordinary Member

I know it's a crowded picture but I wish Kevin had included Stealth from L.E.G.I.O.N. She was a very unique character IMO.

Incredible Member

I forgot to include KG doing the art chores for Dan Didio's OMAC series, which was surprising good, considering that Dan Didio was the primary writer.

I will say that the ONLY criticism I have is his treatment of Captain Marvel, aka SHAZAM! I felt that this character suffered the most under his watch, and never fully recovered from the mischaracterization. Yes, Billy Batson and Cap were treated one-and-the-same post-Crisis, but DC's insistence on putting on the JL, over the objection of John Byrne, and then subsequently dropped soon after, only to languish for years, had hurt his development. Then again, to be fair, Captain Marvel is a hard character to right without having him fall into the "goof-ball" role. Makes me wonder what plans there could have been for Cap, had he made it to through the transition from Justice League to Justice League International.

Anyway, again, RIP, KG. You made your mark well.

Loved it, especially the detail of Mr Giffen's t-shirt. Bwa-Ha-Ha-Ha! Classic. Kudos Mr. Maguire.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If you have never checked it out I highly recomend Giffen's Doom Patrol run. It was very good. 22 issues of Giffen madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    If you have never checked it out I highly recomend Giffen's Doom Patrol run. It was very good. 22 issues of Giffen madness.

I absolutely loved that series.

One of the best and most “Giffen” endings of any book.

Blue Beetle #7 will be a tribute to Keith.

Fantastic Member

I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen the heckler show up as part of the DCU since his creation

Ohhh! That explains not only that eclectic grouping, but the way the Legion appears. (except Lightning Lad for some reason... but who knows, by the time it's finished)