Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Machine

Amazing Member

I'm really looking forward to this. I enjoyed the Geiger mini. I created a fan page last week on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3410...are_group_link

You are all welcome to join

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Lore View Post
    I actually picked up the Geiger and Junkyard Joe trades today and plan to back everything from the company. Such a great lineup of creators. A couple I am unfamiliar with, but I'll give everything a shot. I see no reason they can't outsell Marvel and DC if they keep adding this level of talent now that Marvel and DC are basically unsaleable books no one wants.

I feel like DC in particular is losing it's best writers and artists.
    Looking at top sales listing it's mainly Marvel and DC killing it. There is nothing Image can do about that.

Because no store is going to over order an Image book that will leave unsold copies on the shelves.

At worst these books will do like Milestone and some of Boom's titles-you better buy them when they come out because you will be hard pressed to find them in bins.

Which translates to they are selling and not needing a ton of reorders.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Looking at top sales listing it's mainly Marvel and DC killing it. There is nothing Image can do about that.

Because no store is going to over order an Image book that will leave unsold copies on the shelves.

At worst these books will do like Milestone and some of Boom's titles-you better buy them when they come out because you will be hard pressed to find them in bins.

Which translates to they are selling and not needing a ton of reorders.
    Where Image is killing Marvel and DC is in the long tail of the book trade, not in the direct market. In trades, not single issues. Marvel and DC will pretty much always dominate the direct market because of the nature of the direct market, the buying habits of retailers, and the direct market customer base. That customer base cares less about creators and more about characters and brands, and has shown that for decades. Yes, superstar creators can drive sales if their fanbase travels, but not as much as popular characters do, and not as much as brand loyalty and trade dress does in the direct market.

I tend to follow creators more myself, but Johns is a creator I have zero interest in following and I disliked Gieger which is at the heart of this publishing initiative. If something by those creators catches my interest, I will give it a look, but for the most part nothing mentioned so far interest me at all, so I'm passing on it despite liking previous work of some of the creators. There's other stuff out there by creators I like that does interest me and will get my dollars, mostly from publishers who aren't Marvel or DC, but a handful of books they put out as well.

In fact, it seems I am getting less stuff put out by Image than I have at any point in the last 10 years right now.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Incredible Member

This is huge. This is like Image 2, but its inside of Image. DC just lost all of its talent. Johns-sama, I kneel.

Incredible Member

Peter Snejbjerg will be working with Peter J. Tomasi on Hornsby and Halo.
    HORNSBY AND HALO stars two kids on the verge of puberty…with no clue how pivotal their role in the universe is. Thanks to a divine agreement between the forces from Above and Below, two children of Angels and Demons swap families at birth to prevent a cosmic war of epic proportions in a classic story of nature versus nurture.

Fantastic Member

Finished Geiger volume 1 and currently reading junkyard Joe. Great stuff so far. I just hope these creators don’t stretch themselves too thin and hire an editor to keep them in balance

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

My opinion of Geoff Johns was always marred by the fact that he never did anything with his own ideas. I want to rescind that opinion now and say that Geoff Johns is one of the best comics creators currently working today. Junkyard Joe was excellent. It made me go back and get Geiger which was also excellent. Ghost Machine is on to something with this Unnamed fighting the Unknown War.
    Junkyard Joe was excellent, different from current comics and this Universe seems to be well planned. Looking forward to more.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    My opinion of Geoff Johns was always marred by the fact that he never did anything with his own ideas.
    He actually had two OC comics as far as I know. Olympus was decent and I don't recall The Possessed being that good.

On board for Geiger and Red Coat in April for sure. Enjoyed both Geiger & Junkyard Joe, and the first issue of the Geiger origin story. Will read all the Unnamed titles. The other books under the Ghost Machine family will be wait for the previews, look at in the LCS, etc.

Hyde street doesn't debut until October of 2024. Preview will be in the one shot.

They seem like the Valiant comics of the 2020s. Here's hoping they don't fizzle out as fast.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    They seem like the Valiant comics of the 2020s. Here's hoping they don't fizzle out as fast.
    I think the talent level is a lot higher than 2020 Valiant. I also think the fact that they all have a piece of ownership at the company will keep them on projects for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Lore View Post
    I think the talent level is a lot higher than 2020 Valiant. I also think the fact that they all have a piece of ownership at the company will keep them on projects for the long haul.
    Here's hoping you're right.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-17-2023 at 09:24 PM.

the one shot that comes out on Wednesday is huge. It has like 6 stories / previews and profiles of alot of the main characters. Its only $4.99, and 48 pages with a cardstock cover. It marvel was putting this out it would probably be like $8.99. Good book to pick up if you are interested in any of the Ghost Machine titles.