Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    Yep, an element of tragedy and creates a new villain to hound both Peter and Ben (And Kaine, if he ended up roped in)
    Considering Spidercide killed Kaine in Maximum Clonage shortly before his own seeming death at the end of that sorry event, I could see Kaine looking for some kind of payback.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ahmed really does love the Clone Saga .

But wait...what sorcery is this? Peter actually won!? Without help !?
    It's not the main Spider-Book so it's okay. If Peter seems absolutely competent and well written, you're NOT reading Amazing Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

The issue is… something. I think it’s a good something, but it’s very different than anything I’ve read in Spidey comics before. Like even more different than ‘Reign.’ I’m going to put spoiler tags, even though I’m not really spoiling anything beyond very mild hints of what’s in the book. spoilers:
    This is not like a faux-horror book or just has horror-like elements… once you get past the halfway mark, it is straight up horror and there’s a couple panels (ahem… “dinner guest” scene) that are more graphic than anything I’ve ever seen in a Spidey comic.

The most conventional part of the book is the preview pages with Spidercide (I was a bit disappointed there was no backstory on why he’s back… everything with him is in the preview). I did find it funny how Ben referred to Spidercide as “brother” in his mini from last year while Peter pointedly says he’s “not his brother.” I don’t think Ahmed intended this, but it’s a happy coincidence showing the different ways Peter and Ben view the clones. Anyway… it’s a very small part of the story so if you’re buying it only for that you might be let down. But the rest of the book is something out of ‘The Twilight Zone’ and Peter doesn’t even suit up the whole issue. It first gets a bit weird and confusing, but still not too crazy… but then things get horrific from the “have you paid your fare?” splash page and it doesn’t let up until the end. I’m still figuring out how I feel about the book, but they definitely let the writer and artist go nuts. I think it’s worth a buy, but it’s definitely not for the faint of heart (or people expecting a conventional Spidey comic).
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 10-16-2023 at 06:13 PM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The issue is… something. I’m going to put spoiler tags, even though I’m not really spoiling anything beyond very mild hints of what’s in the book. spoilers:
    I think it’s a good something, but it’s very different than anything I’ve read in Spidey comics before. Like even more different than ‘Reign.’ It’s not like a faux-horror book or just has horror-like elements… once you get past the halfway mark, it is straight up horror and there’s a couple panels (ahem… “dinner guest” scene) that are more graphic than anything I’ve ever seen in a Spidey comic.

The most conventional part of the book is the preview pages with Spidercide (I was a bit disappointed there was no backstory on why he’s back… everything with him is in the preview). I did find it funny how Ben referred to Spidercide as “brother” in his mini from last year while Peter pointedly says he’s “not his brother.” I don’t think Ahmed intended this, but it’s a happy coincidence showing the different ways Peter and Ben view the clones. Anyway… it’s a very small part of the story so if you’re buying it for only that you might be let down. But the rest of the book is something out of ‘The Twilight Zone’ and Peter doesn’t even suit up the whole issue. It first gets a bit weird and confusing, but still not too crazy… but then things get horrific from the “have you paid your fare?” splash page and it doesn’t let up until the end. I’m still figuring out how I feel about the book, but they definitely let the writer and artist go nuts. I think it’s worth a buy, but it’s definitely not for the faint of heart (or people expecting a conventional Spidey comic).
    end of spoilers
    Sounds good. I can't wait.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The issue is… something. I think it’s a good something, but it’s very different than anything I’ve read in Spidey comics before. Like even more different than ‘Reign.’ I’m going to put spoiler tags, even though I’m not really spoiling anything beyond very mild hints of what’s in the book. spoilers:
    This is not like a faux-horror book or just has horror-like elements… once you get past the halfway mark, it is straight up horror and there’s a couple panels (ahem… “dinner guest” scene) that are more graphic than anything I’ve ever seen in a Spidey comic.

The most conventional part of the book is the preview pages with Spidercide (I was a bit disappointed there was no backstory on why he’s back… everything with him is in the preview). I did find it funny how Ben referred to Spidercide as “brother” in his mini from last year while Peter pointedly says he’s “not his brother.” I don’t think Ahmed intended this, but it’s a happy coincidence showing the different ways Peter and Ben view the clones. Anyway… it’s a very small part of the story so if you’re buying it only for that you might be let down. But the rest of the book is something out of ‘The Twilight Zone’ and Peter doesn’t even suit up the whole issue. It first gets a bit weird and confusing, but still not too crazy… but then things get horrific from the “have you paid your fare?” splash page and it doesn’t let up until the end. I’m still figuring out how I feel about the book, but they definitely let the writer and artist go nuts. I think it’s worth a buy, but it’s definitely not for the faint of heart (or people expecting a conventional Spidey comic).
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It's me or does this comic ignores the character development of Spidercide? It's just there, but it could be any other character. Not only that, but ruin the ending of his previous appearance without any explanation.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    spoilers:
    It's me or does this comic ignores the character development of Spidercide? It's just there, but it could be any other character. Not only that, but ruin the ending of his previous appearance without any explanation.
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, when you bring that up, it is a bit disappointing or disconcerting.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

OK, I'm calling the bait and switch.
    Sure the horror part of the book made for a good read. This is partly what I signed on for. However, the preview pages also lead me(us) to believe it was going to ALSO be about Spidercide to some degree.
    This story arc isn't going to deal with him at all.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    OK, I'm calling the bait and switch.
    Sure the horror part of the book made for a good read. This is partly what I signed on for. However, the preview pages also lead me(us) to believe it was going to ALSO be about Spidercide to some degree.
    This story arc isn't going to deal with him at all.
    Would be a shame if Spidercide doesn't appear again and he does turn out to just be a "bait and switch," as you put it.

Spider-Man should have been having a Halloween special for decades by now.

I remember the Wendigo short story by Charles Vess. That was a nice way to approach things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Spider-Man should have been having a Halloween special for decades by now.

I remember the Wendigo short story by Charles Vess. That was a nice way to approach things.
    True enough, especially since Spider-Man's beginnings lend themselves very well to a more horror-influenced take and could have well been a horror story if not for Peter's famous realization at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    True enough, especially since Spider-Man's beginnings lend themselves very well to a more horror-influenced take and could have well been a horror story if not for Peter's famous realization at the end.
    Now you mention horror comics in Spider-Man I remember the issue where the author made Peter not believing in Vampires forgotting everything about his team ups with Blade and having Morbius as enemy.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    Now you mention horror comics in Spider-Man I remember the issue where the author made Peter not believing in Vampires forgotting everything about his team ups with Blade and having Morbius as enemy.

lol
    Ha, what an oversight.

Astonishing Member

lol
    Spider-Man dealing with Santeria was even more creepy then Morbius or the Blade team up: .

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Spider-Man dealing with Santeria was even more creepy then Morbius or the Blade team up: .
    Was that the Amazing Grace side story at the beginning of the "Worldwide" status quo post-Secret Wars?

Spider-Cide was my retcon solution to the Ben Reilly being ruined by Slott/Wells since Clones Conspiracy.
    Yep. The way Humanity Agenda ended was a perfect (and possibly intentional) easy out for everything that has happened to "Ben" since his return in Clone Conspiracy. Cos Marvel could just say that he never did, and it's been Spidercide the whole time. Yeah, that would mean Ben is still dead - but given how Spidey editorial have treated him since he came back, actually not coming back now feels like the much better option.

Assuming this book is set in the main continuity (I'm well out of the loop, so I don't know), Spidercide's brief appearance here effectively ruins that possibility, however monumentally slim the chances were that editorial would have ever used it anyway. And apparently for absolutely no reason too, given Spidercide's seeming absence for the rest of the story.

Unless his cameo here was at editorial's request, of course. For the specific reason of shutting that potential door.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"