Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Default Superman Superstars will take over Action Comics in 2024

DC has announced a new initiative centered around the Man of Steel. Superman Superstars will take place in the Action Comics series throughout 2024, with former Marvel flagship writer Jason Aaron as well as Dawn of DC architect (and current writer of the eponymous Superman series) Joshua Williamson each taking a turn on the title.

Jason Aaron will be joined by artist John Timms on a three issue story titled "I, Bizarro" running in Action Comics #1061-1063. About the storyline, Jason Aaron shared in a statement provided by DC Comics, "the amazing John Timms and I are doing our very best to give readers a Superman tale full of action and surprises, the most Bizarro of all Bizarro stories, in what Bizarro himself would call the worst Bizarro story ever told’!"

In April, Aaron and Timms will hand the reins to Joshua Williamson and Rafa Sandoval for a story that will bring Braniac back. About the return of Braniac, Williamson shared, "We’ve been building to Brainiac’s epic return since Superman #1 and the start of Dawn of DC... This crossover will have massive ramifications not just for Superman but across all of the DC Universe. Plus, it’s a fun roller coaster ride with Superman, Lex Luthor, Lobo, Supergirl, and the Super-Family up against Brainiac and a Czarnian army."

http://www.thepopverse.com/dc-comics...hua-williamson
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 10-13-2023 at 08:47 AM.

So I assume that Waid will take over after Williamson?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Seems likely, but not confirmed yet I don’t think.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Very likely. It seems there'll be different writers up to Dec. 2024.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Well ****.

I'll give it a go, as I do like what I've read from Aaron*, but losing PKJ will kill a lot of my interest. I already have two light, cartoony Superman books (inc B/S: WF), and it's already a little much for me.

Is William's endgame to write every DC book himself? Lol.

*To be fair, "the most Bizarro of all Bizarro stories" is exactly the kind of nonsense I love.

Fingers crossed PKJ still gets his own new Superman (or SuperFam) book
    Last edited by exile001; 10-13-2023 at 08:50 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Aaron does mention his Bizarro story will have a darker edge to it. Honestly of all the potential writers, he’s the one who is already closest to PKJ in terms of tone, and it’s only for three issues.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-13-2023 at 11:26 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

For me this is worst case scenario in that it's the opposite of what they're currently doing and IMO everything wrong with the modern approach to the character. That sounds completely negative and I'll probably enjoy some of this more than I can predict but y'know, I just have to ask what's wrong with a writer planting their feet.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    For me this is worst case scenario in that it's the opposite of what they're currently doing and IMO everything wrong with the modern approach to the character. That sounds completely negative and I'll probably enjoy some of this more than I can predict but y'know, I just have to ask what's wrong with a writer planting their feet.
    Yeah I tend to agree. One of the things I loved most about PKJ is how well he played the long game in his writing style and story arcs. Thought it was a good contrast of tone with AC and Williamson being a little more episodic and shorter arcs in Superman. Thought they had a great thing going currently. I’m pretty bummed about this change.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

It's a shame that they're ending PKJ's run like this, feels like he had more fuel in the fire.

I'm also skeptical of Aaron, but maybe he can deliver on a Bizarro story.

PKJ have been writing some of the best Superman stories in over a decade, for the first time it looked like something new was getting added to his mythology, and now we are losing that, probably to go back to the old Metropolis bounded stuff.

One thing I’m curious about: first issue of Williamson’s Superman run had Bizarro on the cover. He had Bizarro cameo as an unfortunate subject of Pharm and Graft, getting vivisected. Is this going to build off of what Williamson was doing or is Aaron just doing his own thing? Might be that Williamson is farming out a plot he didn’t have time for to someone else.

https://x.com/damontweet/status/1712...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

Couple of extra details:
    -It’s the Multiverse Bizarro from Tomasi’s Rebirth run. Last time he showed up was in Yang Terrifics I think.
    -Bizarro has a new power and a darker edge to him than we’ve seen before
    -Aaron consulted with Mark Waid for this story and he “passed the Waid test” in his own words

More evidence that Waid is stealth editing the Superbooks these days I guess.

What's the Waid test? Disliking the marriage and the Kents being alive?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm sure a lot of the Marvel people who come over think, "oh Waid really likes Superman, let me ask him about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

More evidence that Waid is stealth editing the Superbooks these days I guess.
    Haha, I don't think you give Kaminski enough credit.

Despite all characters dealing with continuity fuzziness these days I think Bizarro is particularly difficult because it's treated more like a title than a name. Mongul too but then he gets those super long stories that cover the was, is, and will be at the end.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES