Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Al Ewing is doing his first DC work in this year’s Pride Special. Could he be the fourth Superstar? Aaron, Williamson, Waid, and then Ewing as the final Star who takes over the book going forward? Worth mentioning that he loves Triangle Era Superman same as Williamson.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-13-2024 at 12:28 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Joker being a bro, Jesus now I really have seen everything. Him and Supes teaming up was the most fun I've had reading Joker in ages (and his final message to Supes after reverting back made me laugh). Timms was fantastic on the art here, the fight scenes were spectacular, especially the scene where Bizarro was killing Supes over and over. Was that a deliberate homage to what Batman went through in Emperor Joker, or am I seeing things that aren't there because that was the last big "canon" story with Supes and Joker both in it? Regardless, as someone who felt Aaron had burnt out over at Marvel in his last few books, this and Batman: Off-World have reinvigorated my enjoyment of his writing again. Supes head is getting rather cluttered these days between Bizarro and whatever Brainiac has implanted in him. Perhaps Williamson is actually going to use the Bizarro remnant in Supes head to explain why he can resist whatever Brainiac has done to him.
    Perhaps the soundtrack for this run should include The Pixies, “Where is My Mind.”
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    This actually would've been a good time to dust off his mastery of the "Theta State" he used to beat Dominus way back in the King of The World storyline.
    I liked how he talked about Kryptonian meditation techniques and thought that was what he was alluding to, but Torquasm-Vo should've been explicitly mentioned. It was a wasted opportunity.

Fantastic Member

This story went as I expected.

It was like two issues of setup with Superman just so Jason Aaron could write his "Sane Joker saved the entire world" story. Aaron is already doing Batman: Off-World but I think he also wanted a Joker story, so Action Comics was an easy to do that. In the final issue, Superman was irrelevant in his own book, he simply relied on Joker to do everything and save the world for him.

And that's my problem with current comics writers. It's like everyone comes to DC just so they could write Batman/Joker stories and as a result, the other characters suffer. Is it not enough that the Batman brand get the most Ongoing, Elseworlds and Black Label comics. But even in other characters' books, its the Bat-characters who get to shine at the expense of the actual lead characters.

I had the same problem with Superman: Space Age which was basically a Superman/Batman teamup story. Mark Russell, like many other writers, had a Batman story in mind and he used a Superman comics as a medium to tell that story. And now he is writing Batman: Dark Age too. An even worse example was letting Frank Miller write Superman: Year One.

PKJ and Williamson were a step in the right direction, both seem like writers who genuinely wanted to write Superman stories. I don't think it is necessary for a writer to be a big fan of the character, but they have to be honest in their storytelling. I don't mind if Aaron or Russell don't like Superman or whatever, but if they are taking a Superman project, the least they can do is make a genuine attempt with it.
    Last edited by Laser_Man; 03-13-2024 at 02:04 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Heh, I don't necessarily hate it by any means, I just don't like it as much as the rest of the Supes material out there right now. And I'm still a bit bitter about PKJ leaving so there's that, lol. But yeah, I'm not really feeling the writing I guess. This is a nitpick, but in one issue they had two characters say the same exact exclamation phrase within consecutive (or every-other) panels. Seemed rather lazy to me. But...

Attachment 138229

I suppose the rotating writer thing is both a blessing and a curse. Just a few more issues before a new team takes over.

And Brainiac soon!

I agree about the rotating writer being both a blessing and a curse .
    I think that this Bizarro story could have gone 5 issues , to me it seems like it ended kind of quick .
    Also I wish these issues would tie into the main Superman book . Just IMHO .

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I think that this Bizarro story could have gone 5 issues , to me it seems like it ended kind of quick .
    A little bit of connectivity to other stories would make it feel less filler-y. That was kind of something I had in the back of my mind when this format was announced. Having said that though, I don’t think a story has to be completely beholden to continuity to be either good or memorable by any means.

Haven’t read the conclusion issue yet myself but the reviews here have been good so I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out. I did like the first issue of the arc, just wasn’t crazy about the second installment, moreso in execution as opposed to the premise itself.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I agree that it should feel kore connected, but I don't think Jason Aaron had more than a fourth issue at that rate
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Gail Simone and Eddy Barrows are apparently doing a Superman story together. Perhaps they’re the last Superstar Action team? Although Supes rocking a Fleschier logo means it could be BL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Eddy Barrows posted a sneak peek of this cover back in January and said it was the cover for Action Comics #1069. So I think it's safe to say she is the next writer after Williamson.
    Looks like we found out who the last mystery team is: Simone/Barrows. If Leancarp is right then that means Waid/Henry is actually the (chronologically) last Superstar team. Maybe Waid is finally doing a run on one of the main books, if he stays on into 2025.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-31-2024 at 02:58 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

I think that for 2025 it would be cool to see Waid do one of the books. I still think that he has Superman stories left to tell .
    I actually like Aaron on Superman as well , that would be nice .
    Don't think that Simone should be a permanent or close to permanent writer for a Superman book .
    I associate her too much with Bat books .

I think that for 2025 it would be cool to see Waid do one of the books. I still think that he has Superman stories left to tell .
    I actually like Aaron on Superman as well , that would be nice .
    Don't think that Simone should be a permanent or close to permanent writer for a Superman book .
    I associate her too much with Bat books .
    She's also busy with the X-Men right now.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Well this scratched the itch of a clown supporting cast for superman.But,it was more tell than show.i loved the line that says "don't try to change the world to fix what's broken inside you".A bit anti climatic.
    But, also loved "i would rather be crazy in gotham than sane in metropolis (pulled an Achilles)".

In strange way,this was supposed to be superman's "one bad day".He pulled uno reverse card using joker.I like the idea of bizzaro being in the back of superman's head scratching and clawing
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-02-2024 at 11:28 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Amazing Member

Has anyone been reading both Action and Suicide Squad: Dream Team? Is the Bizarro on the Suicide Squad the same one that was featured here?

Quote Originally Posted by RogueWhistler View Post
    Has anyone been reading both Action and Suicide Squad: Dream Team? Is the Bizarro on the Suicide Squad the same one that was featured here?
    No, that's a clone Bizarro
    The Bizarro that was featured here was Bizarro from Bizarroworld
    Last edited by JorgeJ77; 04-17-2024 at 06:08 PM.

Officially announced for Gail taking over.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/gail-simo...action-comics/

THE FIRST OF SIMONE AND BARROWS’S THREE ISSUES KICKS OFF WHEN A MASSIVELY POWERFUL ALIEN RACE MAKES EARTH THEIR ARENA. SUPERMAN, DC’S MAN OF STEEL, MUST STAND ALONE AGAINST IMPOSSIBLE CHALLENGES THAT THREATEN LOCATIONS ALL AROUND THE WORLD AND THE LIVES OF THOSE HE LOVES. ACTION COMICS #1067 BEGINS A NOT-TO-BE MISSED EPIC TALE OF SUPERMAN’S STRENGTH, WIT, AND RESOURCEFULNESS IN AN EARLY STAGE OF HIS PUBLIC CAREER!
    “I LOVE THE CLASSIC SUPERMAN CAST, AND THIS STORY IS DELIBERATELY MEANT TO ECHO MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE SUPERMAN TIME PERIOD,” SAID SIMONE. “WE DIDN’T WANT TO TELL A QUIET STORY OF SUPERMAN IN A DINER; WE WANTED TO HAVE A MASSIVE THREAT, A WAR TAKING PLACE ALL OVER THE WORLD, AND ONLY SUPERMAN COULD POSSIBLY PROTECT HIS ADOPTED PLANET. IT IS UNAPOLOGETICALLY HUGE IN SCOPE AND FUN AS HELL, WITH ONE OF THE BEST ART TEAMS I’VE EVER WORKED WITH…EDDY BARROWS, DANNY MIKI, AND REX LOKUS ON COLORS!”
    Edit: Vordan must have posted while I was busy copying and pasting, lol.