Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Big fan of them canonizing Superman wearing the Fleschier shield in the past. Wish Waid/Mora had put that on him for the WF era.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I wouldn't have expected "Superman fights aliens" from Simone and Barrows but I'm eager to see how they execute it.

Extraordinary Member

Rainbow Rowell makes DC debut with ‘Action Comics’ #1067 story
    DC Comics has revealed Rainbow Rowell and Cian Tormey are teaming up for a Lois Lane backup story running in Action Comics #1067-1069. Paired with Gail Simone and Eddy Barrows’ main story, the first issue will debut in comic shops in July.
    “As a former newspaper reporter, I’ve always had a soft spot for Daily Planet stories,” shared Rowell. “I love that Clark Kent is Superman and also a working journalist—and that it isn’t just dusty backstory. It’s a real facet of his character. I love that Clark met Lois in the newsroom, and that they still work there together. (This is so realistic, I swear.) I really like it when comic book romances last…There’s a lot of story to tell after two people say yes to each other. So—even though I was a little nervous about diving into the DC Universe—I couldn’t resist the chance to write a love story that is also a newsroom story, and still a superhero story.”

“The story that Rainbow and I are telling is about Lois finding her strength, with Clark supporting her as she becomes stronger in her convictions,” added Tormey. “He sees her finding her courage in a new role, her sense of responsibility for everyone—a gentle reminder for Clark of how far he has come, and how far all of us who are not blessed with superpowers can go when faced with adversity.”

“I’ve just seen the first of Cian Tormey’s pages, and I think people are going to adore his take on Lois and Clark,” continued Rowell. “Cian’s work has a timeless quality that’s perfect for this relationship.”

Never expected to see Rainbow Rowell writing for DC.

So that's two-for-two female creative team writing Superman.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Neat story from Barrows on why Superman is special to him.

"For me talking about Action Comics is something that goes beyond the title itself," added Barrows. "I remember when I was 7 years old, I was playing on the sidewalk, and suddenly I was run over by a truck, right there. I spent 3 days fighting for my life, and during that whole year that followed I remained in bed, doing lots of physiotherapy, lots of meds and exams. Going to the doctors was a very regular thing. And it was during that time that Superman came to my life, reading Action Comics. Kal-El became a good friend of mine, making my days better. His adventures and his behavior were things that stuck with me! Reading his stories were the highlight of my days, for a 7-year-old recovering from an accident like I was. Back then I wouldn't have imagined that one day I would be helping to build his legacy: illustrating his stories. The stories of my all-time favorite superhero… SUPERMAN!"
    https://www.gamesradar.com/gail-simo...omics-in-2024/
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Incredible Member

I was starting to find it kinda dull that all three Superstars arcs would be "the whole world is in danger like never seen before because of an alien threat, can Superman save it?", but that Lois Lane back-up sounds like it'll balance things perfectly. Still, hopefully the final Superstar arc is... something different. Smaller scale, bigger scale, anything but alien invasion for a fourth time.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    I was starting to find it kinda dull that all three Superstars arcs would be "the whole world is in danger like never seen before because of an alien threat, can Superman save it?", but that Lois Lane back-up sounds like it'll balance things perfectly. Still, hopefully the final Superstar arc is... something different. Smaller scale, bigger scale, anything but alien invasion for a fourth time.
    Final Superstar arc is Waid/Henry and it involves the Phantom Zone. So it’s kind of an alien invasion I guess, but I wouldn’t agree that they’ve all been invasion stories. Bizarro was a possession story, Brainiac was an abduction, and I reckon the PZ bad guys will be gunning for revenge.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Neat story from Barrows on why Superman is special to him.

https://www.gamesradar.com/gail-simo...omics-in-2024/
    Wow, that's poignant stuff.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Big fan of them canonizing Superman wearing the Fleschier shield in the past. Wish Waid/Mora had put that on him for the WF era.
    So does this mean he wasn't Superboy in the current continuity?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So does this mean he wasn't Superboy in the current continuity?
    As things inDC continuity "eh noyes......we'll wait until our lawyer tell us"

but in honestly it all up to the writer to decide at this point as there various contradicting origin stories that telling like the current origin is the John Byrne’s The Man of Steel i believe in Williamson run

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venomized-spider-man View Post
    As things inDC continuity "eh noyes......we'll wait until our lawyer tell us"

but in honestly it all up to the writer to decide at this point as there various contradicting origin stories that telling like the current origin is the John Byrne’s The Man of Steel i believe in Williamson run
    What a mess.
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm 80% certain he was Superboy.

He wasn't. The post-Crisis origin is the one in play for Supes. Remember, the Legion of Super-Heroes were currently inspired by Jon, not Clark. Teenage Clark is probably more like the Smallville TV show, where he was friends with Lana Lang and Pete Ross, and used his powers to help out at the farm and do some covert heroics, but didn't wear a costume until he moved to Metropolis.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

They should make Superman: Year One the canon origin. In fact that's what I initially thought they were doing here because I forgot about the Fleischer cartoons having this chest symbol. They would just have to rejigger the events of the terrible third issue so it makes a little more sense, show Clark and Lois having actual interactions together, explain how Clark finds out about Kryptonian lore and finishes up his fight with Brainiac, etc. And explain why Batman was so out of character. Okay, it sounds like more effort than it's worth, but what can I say, I actually liked the first two issues.