Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Same, but if he wants it I think he's getting it with almost certainty.
    King has said that he’s pitched ideas for a Superman ongoing several times in the (recent) past but was always bad timing in that they had other writers already lined up each time. Perhaps this will be his time.

He’s divisive, but I’d love to see it myself.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Question is how much is King involved with Gunn's DCU. He might just nit have enough time for two big ongoings

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Question is how much is King involved with Gunn's DCU. He might just nit have enough time for two big ongoings
    He’s in the thick of things, Gunn’s posted pictures of him in the writer’s circle with Gunn and writers like Drew Goddard. But look at it this way: King writing a Superman ongoing may double as doing work for the DCU. Since Gunn loves his work so much, anything King does with Superman is liable to provide material for Gunn to adapt for the movies. Therefore it would be killing two birds with one stone for King.

Same, but if he wants it I think he's getting it with almost certainty.
    Interesting, why do you dislike King.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    If we take all rumors into account, he's involved in working on Lanterns, Supergirl (obviously, it's his story is being adapted) and rumored Strange Adventures adaptation (not confirmed).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well, I liked Vision and Grayson as much as anyone. I imagine his standing now is definitely based on a thought out approach and the ability to simply deliver on a level readers find satisfying.

But I feel as though he's "figured out" that process too finely, if that will make sense. The first issue I read of Miracle was vague and repetitive with its reliance on Gerads, felt like the motions of a deep story to me with a strange awareness. WW had a start I felt was steeped in gratuitous fanservice, with Steel basically just being like, "ya can't beat us fighting men ya wimmins" as he's given the Wile E. coyote treatment in a sea of indulgent narration. Up in the Sky either tried way too hard or didn't try much at all to be a great Superman story, in either case at the expense of feeling comfortable writing a story over a FAQ that plays his "greatest hits." They just had Jason Aaron do his first Superman comic ever and I get the impression that he has some comfort, to compare, because it doesn't at all feel like the character is being curated.

He certainly wouldn't have to try to be Johnson or Aaron or anyone but himself, I just haven't had the confidence that these things are what I'd enjoy as a replacement for the kind of world building and character writing I've enjoyed from writers who might not even have what I'd consider a Grayson or Vision. Tldr, I feel like his approach might end up shallow in an indulgent way because at this point he's quite accustomed to writing stories with good fanfare.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Well, I liked Vision and Grayson as much as anyone. I imagine his standing now is definitely based on a thought out approach and the ability to simply deliver on a level readers find satisfying.

But I feel as though he's "figured out" that process too finely, if that will make sense. The first issue I read of Miracle was vague and repetitive with its reliance on Gerads, felt like the motions of a deep story to me with a strange awareness. WW had a start I felt was steeped in gratuitous fanservice, with Steel basically just being like, "ya can't beat us fighting men ya wimmins" as he's given the Wile E. coyote treatment in a sea of indulgent narration. Up in the Sky either tried way too hard or didn't try much at all to be a great Superman story, in either case at the expense of feeling comfortable writing a story over a FAQ that plays his "greatest hits." They just had Jason Aaron do his first Superman comic ever and I get the impression that he has some comfort, to compare, because it doesn't at all feel like the character is being curated.

He certainly wouldn't have to try to be Johnson or Aaron or anyone but himself, I just haven't had the confidence that these things are what I'd enjoy as a replacement for the kind of world building and character writing I've enjoyed from writers who might not even have what I'd consider a Grayson or Vision. Tldr, I feel like his approach might end up shallow in an indulgent way because at this point he's quite accustomed to writing stories with good fanfare.
    That’s an interesting analysis. I don’t agree but I have heard complaints that King like Hickman suffers from a “coldness” in his writing. My counterarguement would be that Up in the Sky! was created to be a series of one and done stories that showed how awesome Superman is, and were King to get one of the main books he would likely aim to do a deeper treatment of the character. I think King could totally botch handling of Superman but my belief is that would happen if he approaches the character with too much attachment to the Pre-Crisis material he enjoys mining, and writes Supes like Supes is still the guy who mindlessly obeys what people in authority tell him to do. TDKR criticism of Pre-Crisis Superman dug up and whaled on again by a guy who loves his Moore and Miller.

But hey, the chance we get a take that brings some of the Moore/Miller maturity and political commentary to Superman without casting him as the stooge is one I would take personally, especially if King was only on Action. Williamson can keep writing the main Superman book with a lighter tone to offset whatever King is doing, or Waid could take over after Williamson and then we get two Superman books with very different flavors.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Up in the Sky I shouldn't be quite so hard on if I recall that it was for the Walmart line where they intended to sell as far out of the lcs demographic as possible. The pretty recent MoT stuff was the same from what I know.

The main thing is I wanna see someone stick around. 100 issues of Batman or Spider-Man, amazing, but I haven't seen anyone do that and then go do the same for Superman. Thirty odd issues was impressive, Bendis around 60 was also something. If Aaron wants to equal Thor I hope it's because of the character and not the task, and I say go for it. Turn him into a duck, have Klar Ken become a time traveling khagan, have Jimmy fuse with Mxy, just keep showing up.

And I will say King gives me some of the same impressions as Hickman but I do tend to buy a lot of the titles they give Hickman so there's that
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

King writing both Superman (in Action Comics) and Wonder Woman at the same time would be interesting...I dont think we've ever had the same writer on these two major characters before have we (outside of JMS writing his alternate universe WW and his Superman walkabout that he bailed on both shortly into their runs.)
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

He’s in the thick of things, Gunn’s posted pictures of him in the writer’s circle with Gunn and writers like Drew Goddard. But look at it this way: King writing a Superman ongoing may double as doing work for the DCU. Since Gunn loves his work so much, anything King does with Superman is liable to provide material for Gunn to adapt for the movies. Therefore it would be killing two birds with one stone for King.

He was great on Grayson and Omegamen but just about everything since then has been middling to plain terrible and his plagiarism of late was just really bad.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    King writing both Superman (in Action Comics) and Wonder Woman at the same time would be interesting...I dont think we've ever had the same writer on these two major characters before have we (outside of JMS writing his alternate universe WW and his Superman walkabout that he bailed on both shortly into their runs.)
    Rucka was writing Adventures of Superman and Wonder Woman at the same time about 20 years ago.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000642566770

King mentions here that because of the Hollywood stuff ramping up, he’s going to be downsizing his comic work. He has some more minis in the can coming out, but it looks like he’s going to only have WW as an ongoing for the foreseeable future. Guess we can cross him off the list as a candidate. Means that the two most likely people to take over the book full time are Waid or Taylor. Rooting for my dark horse candidate of Gene Yang over either.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

King mentions here that because of the Hollywood stuff ramping up, he’s going to be downsizing his comic work.
    *DC shuts down Black Label* Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

King mentions here that because of the Hollywood stuff ramping up, he’s going to be downsizing his comic work. He has some more minis in the can coming out, but it looks like he’s going to only have WW as an ongoing for the foreseeable future. Guess we can cross him off the list as a candidate. Means that the two most likely people to take over the book full time are Waid or Taylor. Rooting for my dark horse candidate of Gene Yang over either.
    Half of the fan base rejoices, while the other half is bummed. I’m part of the latter.

Can’t wait to see who it’ll be tho.

“The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.” -Willy Wonka
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Well I can accept and understand his decision here. Better to do what work you are capable of than doing far more than you can handle and getting your work constantly delayed like Geoff Johns did.

Just hope he doesn't screw over any characters in the movies .