Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

I wonder how this will get collected? I'd guess that Williamson's issues will get collected with his Superman so remaining 9 "superstar" issues in one trade?

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'd enjoy Waid on Supes, but I've said before that with Williamson doing that style already it'd feel a bit redundant to me. I'd probably drop Superman and just stick to Waid's book.

Up in the Sky is my favourite Superman book in decades (though honestly PKJ's Warworld Saga is right up there) and I'm a big King fan anyway so I'd love him on Action.
    Ditto on Up in the Sky and Warworld.

Plus, with Waid on WF (and Last Days of LL) then I don’t necessarily need him on another book. I’d rather have King take over the ongoing.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Stuff like this just backs up my belief that King will be the one to get Action permanently, he’s already giving notes on Supes for Gunn, if Gunn wants more King Superman material, what better time than now to put him on one of the ongoings?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Since Aaron is going with the Multiverse Bizarro and not the clone I’d like to see a Bizarro that really is a villain. Sympathetic Bizarro is something we’ve seen repeatedly and has become a cliche approach for the character. I want to see him as a full blown bad guy.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Bizarro is really taking this fight to Heaven and back.

https://www.gamesradar.com/jason-aar...ign=socialflow
    Something I noticed right away in Action Comics #1061 is that your reputation for writing very mythical superheroes is definitely coming through with your take on Superman and his world. How do you find ways to convey that larger-than-life scope in a story that's only three issues long?

Well, I felt like, tackling Superman for the first time, I couldn't do something small, right? On one hand, it's a three issue story, but the issues are 30 pages so there's still room to pack a lot of stuff in there. I didn't want to come out and make a small statement. I wanted to lean into the same way I felt when I took over Thor, like writing the God of Thunder, one of the most powerful figures in this entire universe. I needed to, in my mind, make a similar statement with Superman for my first time writing him.

So yeah, I wanted to go big in every way. The first fight we see between Superman and Bizarro is a colossal battle that spans the whole solar system. And then Bizarro strikes at Superman in a way that profoundly changes Metropolis, which will lead to issue two where those threads continue to build and strike at Superman in increasingly more challenging ways.

So even though it's only a three issue story, this is me, you know, absolutely swinging for the fences in every way to say something big with Superman, through a sort of challenge I don't think he's ever faced before.
    Good interview, he also says he wants to do more stories with Batman and Superman beyond what he’s doing right now.

“When you go back and read some of [the earlier Bizarro stories], especially the Bizarro world stories from the '50s, they are very much played for wacky laughs: Look at how ridiculous this guy is and all of his people from his planet. But as I read him, I felt so sad,” Aaron explained, when talking about his upcoming three-issue Action Comics run. “I felt so sorry for this guy and he's just like, ‘Hey man, I'm just trying to live my life. This is just who I am. This is the way we are. And you're just like, telling me how stupid and terrible and ridiculous [I am], and I'm just a mistake, basically, is what you're saying. That Superman's the cool guy and I'm just his ridiculous, pathetic opposite.’”

He continued, “I just came away with this great sympathy for Bizarro. Like, man, it's got to really suck to be that dude.”
    https://www.thepopverse.com/dcs-supe...er-jason-aaron

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://www.gamesradar.com/jason-aar...ign=socialflow

Good interview, he also says he wants to do more stories with Batman and Superman beyond what he’s doing right now.

Got a chuckle out of his little dig at Bryne (while keeping it respectful of course).

Liked what he had to say about not having characters be stagnant forever:

So I think change is a fundamental part of these characters. They have to change and grow and evolve over time, just to stay relevant. That doesn't mean you throw out everything before. Again, you pick and choose the best parts that feel important, and fundamental to who the character should be.

This is why people still care about them so many years, so many decades after they were created, right? Like, you get to use all the best bits of that history to, again, tell a story that's different from all that other stuff. Not just standing on the shoulders of the great creators of the past and picking the bones of their stories, but how are you going to tell a story we haven't seen before? So I think that's absolutely what I'm trying to do here.
    Also really like how he makes no bones about the fact that he wanted to hit the ground running and go big.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 01-09-2024 at 04:40 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Finally read it

spoilers:
    So Bizarro randomly lands on a sorcerer planet where by implementing the logic of Superman's weakness to magic would have a reverse effect on him, turning him into a master wizard. He implements a plan to try to return to Bizarroworld which has been lost cause of the constant Crisis and multiverse shuffles has rendered it a lost planet, Bizarro can't return to. Bizarro did manage to accomplish his spell but it apparently tears him apart, and has resulted in the citizens of Metropolis becoming Bizarros.
    end of spoilers

Also the imagery of spoilers:
    of the forced laughing obviously actually meaning pain and crying is very Joker-like.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Finally read it

spoilers:
    So Bizarro randomly lands on a sorcerer planet where by implementing the logic of Superman's weakness to magic would have a reverse effect on him, turning him into a master wizard. He implements a plan to try to return to Bizarroworld which has been lost cause of the constant Crisis and multiverse shuffles has rendered it a lost planet, Bizarro can't return to. Bizarro did manage to accomplish his spell but it apparently tears him apart, and has resulted in the citizens of Metropolis becoming Bizarros.
    end of spoilers

Also the imagery of spoilers:
    of the forced laughing obviously actually meaning pain and crying is very Joker-like.
    end of spoilers
    Glad I skipped this. I love the art but hate Bizarro so I decided to pass. Maybe I'll be back after Bizarro is gone.

I don't hate Bizarro, but I HATE his backwards talking thing. It is both confusing and also impossible to take seriously. It makes every story that includes it feel stupider while also making the reader feel stupider for struggling to understand it - a losing combination if ever I saw one. So that makes me a little reluctant to read this. I don't understand why they ever went away from the Post-Crisis decision to just give him bad grammar.

Not usually a huge Bizarro guy for similar reasons as the rest of you, but I enjoyed this first issue! Bizarro wielding magic is a fun shake-up and I really enjoyed the slugfest between Clark and Bizarro here. Seeing them casually destroy one of Jupiter’s moons did make me laugh. I’m wondering if the impact of this arc here is that now there will be some Bizarros living in Metropolis at the end since they have nowhere else to go? By the way:

Is the Super Chopper a reference to something? Given Waid’s involvement I’m expecting it to be an obscure Silver Age reference

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I've always loved Bizzaro for the very reasons Aaron stated in the interview above and I loved this issue. I was originally sad to see PKJ leave as I loved the Superman family concept but at least if that's over the replacement is just as good.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!