Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Grayson: Futures End, #1

In Tom King, Tim Seeley, and Stephen Mooney's "Grayson: Future's End" #1, Dick Grayson has reached the end of his rope... with none other than Helena Bertinelli on the other end.

Full review here.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Thank goodness, a reviewer that actually read the comic! I am so disheartened to see so many 1 star reviews of this comic (all of which can be adequately summed up as, "I skimmed it, did not understand it, therefore it was trash").

I have to agree, the art was the weak point of the comic. It was adequate but could have been a bit cleaner and more well refined. Still, better than a lot of comics out there these days.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I honestly don't find a lot wrong with the pencils. There's occasional rough spots, but I'm sure that had more to do with time constraints than his acutal ability. The mini Half Past Danger that he wrote and drew is fantastic. Highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 09-08-2014 at 02:09 PM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Finally, a fair review of this comic book. I hate to channel Morrison fans circa 2008, but I can pretty confidently say anyone giving this 1 or 2 stars (as has been done on some other sites) simply did not understand it. If nothing else it was a unique way to tell the story and had all sorts of nuggets in it if people bothered to do more than glance at it. For my money it was one of the better written comics DC has put out this year

I wonder if the review knew his costume was supposed to be Red Star's costume.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Finally a fair review of this comic book. I hate to channel Morrison fans circa 2008, but I can pretty confidently say anyone giving this 1 or 2 stars (as has been done on some other sites) simply did not understand it. If nothing else it was a unique way to tell the story and had all sorts of nuggets in it if people bothered to do more than glance at it. For my money it was one of the better written comics DC has put out this year
    I agree with you. This was a fair review. I'm seeing more pop up know from reviewers that actually read it like this site and bleedong cool. This was one of the best single issues this year in my opinion. The treatment this got reminds me of how Morrison's work was treated back in the day.

Incredible Member

Also Newsarama just did a fair review after the abysmal one that was put up the first day it came out and it was obvious the reviewer didn't get it.

Ha, yep two 9 out of 10 reviews up at newsarama, the first guy even taking pot shots at the other staff ha.

http://www.newsarama.com/22070-best-...nd-1-more.html
    http://www.newsarama.com/21534-best-...il-5-more.html

WhiteLantern

I'm not exactly sure what people mean when they say that people who don't like this issue don't "get it". What's there to get? The concept of how the story is told is interesting, but it doesn't work. There's supposed to be a puzzle, but after reading it three times, it doesn't seem like there's a solution to anything that enhances the story. Other than the first page spelling out "The roof", Helena saying "I love you" and "Fart" (seriously?), there's nothing that makes it worth having. If you like it, fine. But saying that people who don't like it don't "get it" is really just a cop-out explanation.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLantern View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what people mean when they say that people who don't like this issue don't "get it". What's there to get? The concept of how the story is told is interesting, but it doesn't work. There's supposed to be a puzzle, but after reading it three times, it doesn't seem like there's a solution to anything that enhances the story. Other than the first page spelling out "The roof", Helena saying "I love you" and "Fart" (seriously?), there's nothing that makes it worth having. If you like it, fine. But saying that people who don't like it don't "get it" is really just a cop-out explanation.
    When someone reviews it and gives it a bad rating because "Dick died" even though it's strongly implied he didn't, or they make no mention of the Cluemaster's code, I'm going to conclude they might not have got it

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLantern View Post
    Dick's parents were killed by Zucco who used a special acid that could burn through rope but be completely undetectable on your hands after you wash them. Batman found the jar of the acid that Zucco used and gave it to Robin. Dick kept that jar for his whole life. While on a mission with Helena, he used the acid to burn through a rope bridge, Helena was curious but Dick swore to never tell her his secrets unless they were dying. During the War with Earth 2, Helena and Dick were in a bad way and so he revealed his secret to Helena.

Robin figured out the Clue Master's special code of using the first letter of the first word of each sentence and using them to form a secret message. Dick taught this code to Helena and they used it regularly.

Helena used the term "roof" to mean "extraction point.

During the war, Dick and Helena wanted to eliminate the KGBeast, who had become a brutal dictator. When they first allied themselves with him, they were disappointed to realize they would not meet him in person. During the war, the Beast used Helena and Dick as a tool to fight off a swarm of Parademons, while he slaughtered "rebels." Without Dick and Helena's efforts, he would never have had the opportunity to pull it off. Dick is aghast at the butchery of the Beast.

Helena and Dick were to be awarded a medal, personally given to them by the Beast. The night before, Helena comments that the medal is just one more thing to hang on Dick's neck.

During the ceremony, Dick kills the Beast. Helena is outraged and begs him not to do it because she will have to "hang him."

Helena indeed hangs Dick but before she does, she touches the rope in the same way Zucco did to Dick's parents' trapeze rope (i.e. she used the acid on it). She then tells Dick, in the Clue Master's Code, to go to the "roof" (i.e. the extraction point).
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 09-08-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Can't Zuko just burn the rope with his fire bending?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Can't Zuko just burn the rope with his fire bending?
    Leaf me alone, I'm bushed.*

*True Airbender fans will get the joke.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Leaf me alone, I'm bushed.*

*True Airbender fans will get the joke.
    Chuckle. And here I thought I was the only one out there who was apt to quote favorite shows at the drop of a hat.

Anyway, nice to see a fair review of this issue. I didn't care for the art here either but in the context of the story and it's setting I do see why this particular artist was used. Because of that I find nothing to complain of on that score.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-09-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

I think the reviewers ARE right in that this scenario is bleak for the sunny likes of Dick Grayson. Looking forward to next month and hoping Janin is back.