Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I finally read this issue.
    I was going to skip it but I'm glad I didn't. One of the best single-issue stories I've read in a while.

The Tarantino/Memento structure of the story was done very well.
    Especially if you consider the suspense that just would not have been there if it had been told in chronological order.

The Cluemaster code was a great trick to get the story to fold back in on itself and requires a fresh look at the previous pages. Especially page 1 where Helena glides her hand along the rope (presumably using the acid- which means Dick told her the trick) and with her saying "the roof" (most likely the extraction point).

My interpretation of the issue is that they were on an assassination mission for Spyral and the only way to get close to The Beast was to become heroes in his eye. That led them to getting a medal and brought Dick and Helena within reach of their target.
    They knew there would be no way out and capture was imminent.
    The only escape would be a fake execution.

I give it 5 out of 5 stars.
    Most pre-Grayson fans may think less of it, but I weighed it as a spy/espionage comic instead of a superhero comic.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I was going to skip it but I'm glad I didn't. One of the best single-issue stories I've read in a while.

Especially if you consider the suspense that just would not have been there if it had been told in chronological order.

The Cluemaster code was a great trick to get the story to fold back in on itself and requires a fresh look at the previous pages. Especially page 1 where Helena glides her hand along the rope (presumably using the acid- which means Dick told her the trick) and with her saying "the roof" (most likely the extraction point).

My interpretation of the issue is that they were on an assassination mission for Spyral and the only way to get close to The Beast was to become heroes in his eye. That led them to getting a medal and brought Dick and Helena within reach of their target.

Most pre-Grayson fans may think less of it, but I weighed it as a spy/espionage comic instead of a superhero comic.
    A fantastic comic book that done exceptionally well. I was very disappointed at a lot of the reviewers who gave the book low scores at the time but didn't read it and missed everything your mentioning. A few sites had to review the book twice because of that. It really exposed the flaw in the system.

I don't think that it exposes a flaw in the system, but that many reviewers understand about as much (or less) than random poster on the forums.

I also read this recently after borrowing it from a friend. Convinced me to pick up the title it was that good.
    Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Yep. For me it was the best single issue DC put out last year and one of the best in quite some time.

Something else I've noticed...
    I know King has a background in secret service but... there's been many a moment in the series where I've felt a 60s British spy-fi vibe ala Avengers and Prisoner.

The archery framing sequence in #2 was one such time. As was most of this Future's End special.
    Of course, nothing screams spy-fi more than Spyral, itself.

I would love a Checkmate series written by King and I'm already very much interested in Omega Men. Much more now after seeing how well he can do a "one and done" story.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.