View Poll Results: What your preferred time of death?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jonathan and Martha Kent – die when Clark is in his late teen or early 20s (but adult)

9 25.71%
  • Jonathan and Martha Kent – die when Clark is 25+ and has become Superman

20 57.14%
  • Silas Stone – dies within a few months of Vic becoming Cyborg

3 8.57%
  • Silas Stone – dies 6 months to 5 years after Vic becomes Cyborg

5 14.29%
  • Silas Stone – dies 5+ years after Vic becomes Cyborg

15 42.86%
  • Jack Drake – dies when Tim is a minor

5 14.29%
  • Jack Drake – dies only Tim is a young adult

9 25.71%
  • Jack Drake – dies a natural death when Tim is well into adulthood

12 34.29%
  • Henry and Nora Allen – death/imprisonment when Barry is a child

10 28.57%
  • Henry and Nora Allen – die only after Barry has been the Flash for years

21 60.00%
  • Donald Fite – dies when Anita is a teenager, not reborn

6 17.14%
  • Donald Fite – dies when Anita a teenager, reborn and speed-aged

3 8.57%
  • Donald Fite – dies when Anita a teenager, reborn and not speed-aged

2 5.71%
  • Donald Fite – dies only after Anita is grown

1 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The dead parents poll

I'm not only including things that were in continuity at different times in the comics, but some that weren't and I would have liked and some I wouldn't have liked, too.

I don't think I've ever read anything with Anita Fite in it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't think I've ever read anything with Anita Fite in it . . .
    90s Young Justice. I didn't like how it played out. I felt her dad should have either not died or stayed dead. Haven't voted yet, because I'm not really sure which. But didn't like her dad (and long-dead mom) being reborn as infants that the 15-year-old is seemingly going to raise.

Retired

I only voted regarding the Kents and the Allens. I'm not sure about Stone--I always think that was Vic's grandfather not his father, maybe because he's named Silas and that sounds like a grandfather figure. I have no idea who Jake Drake and Donalt Falt are.

Also did the Allens ever die in original continuity? They were at Barry and Fiona's wedding and that was close to the end of THE FLASH run. If they died, I think it was off panel. Or maybe that was covered in the post-Crisis Wally run.

If Barry and Iris are still young, then I see no reason for Henry and Nora to be dead yet. Obviously, the death/imprisonment plot is a non-starter.

The Kents were established as having died early in the life of Clark Kent, in the Siegel and Shuster original stories. And that's how it was for 45 years or so.

I'm not sure about Stone--I always think that was Vic's grandfather not his father, maybe because he's named Silas and that sounds like a grandfather figure.
    Yeah, Silas is Vic's dad's name, and his grandpa is Tucker. Grandma Maude is suitably old-fashioned, though. But then, so is mom-Elinore. I was surprised to find (from [social security OACT](https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/) site, that Silas has had a resurgence in popularity. It was the 87th most popular boys' name in 2022. Victor was 212th most popular in 2022.

Also did the Allens ever die in original continuity?
    Not that I know of.

If Barry and Iris are still young, then I see no reason for Henry and Nora to be dead yet. Obviously, the death/imprisonment plot is a non-starter.
    I agree. Now, whether Barry was born when dad was in his 20s or after his finished his residency or whatnot, is something I don't know. But I see no real reason they shouldn't be alive at least until Barry in his 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I agree. Now, whether Barry was born when dad was in his 20s or after his finished his residency or whatnot, is something I don't know. But I see no real reason they shouldn't be alive at least until Barry in his 40s.
    See: Geoff Johns.

I like the Kents being alive.

I don't have any real strong opinions on the rest except I'm tired of the cliched dead parents.

Although I enjoyed Bruce having to deal with his partner Tim having a very much alive father aback in the day.

I voted for the Allen's to be alive simply because Nora being dead got us Flashpoint and the New 52 and for that alone they need to be protected at all costs.

See: Geoff Johns.
    I suppose I should have said no good reason.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I really have no opinion on most of these outside of Jack Drake and the Kents. All of whom, I do prefer to live to ripe old ages.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

By the way, any particular reason you didn't have "Martha Kent still alive but Jonathan Kent dead" as an option?

(Though I'm glad you skipped having Jor-El still alive.)

By the way, any particular reason you didn't have "Martha Kent still alive but Jonathan Kent dead" as an option?
    Not really. It wasn't the status quo in any era I read, so I didn't think about it. Also, I had to remove several options to get in under 15, so we lost me asking about Kara's bio parents or Raven's mom or Rita Farr.

Ultimate Member

Am I the only one who thinks parents get snuffed because writers can't be bothered to remember them?

Astonishing Member

I'd settle for an "alive but rarely seen" option for the Kents and the Allen's. The Allen's did that well Pre-Crisis, the Kents did it poorly Post-Crisis.

Ultimate Member

(Though I'm glad you skipped having Jor-El still alive.)
    Those two things would totally be my votes, if they were on the poll. Martha still alive. Jor-El still dead (and not a villain).

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

If we still had Clark as Superboy, then I would prefer Jonathan and Martha the way they were for most of their existence (but "alive" in the Smallville stories). Otherwise, we're stuck with them in the Superman tales, also.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?