Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    McKay is doing a great job introducing new villain teams to the MU. And Larraz excels at designing monsters and odd creatures.
    Although it does kind of remind me of how Aaron was kind of doing the same thing at the start of his Avengers run.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Oh yeah these are great monster designs.

Love when they get wild with the villains, these guys look like straight up abominations.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    "I knew going in that vampires weren't bad enough. If the children of the night were going up against the Avengers, let alone the other heroes of the world, bigger guns were required,"

That's not true. Vampires already have more or less the combined powers of Storm, Shadowcat, Mesmero, Vermin, and Sabretooth. All you need to do to make them a threat, even to superheroes, is have them use their canon powers in intelligent combination.
    Not in the Marvel universe. Only high-level vampires like Dracula and his daughter have that range of abilities. Most never achieve that level.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    "I knew going in that vampires weren't bad enough. If the children of the night were going up against the Avengers, let alone the other heroes of the world, bigger guns were required,"

That's not true. Vampires already have more or less the combined powers of Storm, Shadowcat, Mesmero, Vermin, and Sabretooth. All you need to do to make them a threat, even to superheroes, is have them use their canon powers in intelligent combination.

This addition of non-vampire villains is a solution to a problem the writer himself created by writing the vampires as if they were just fanged zombies instead of creatures with enough powers to make a decent X-Men team divided up.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Not in the Marvel universe. Only high-level vampires like Dracula and his daughter have that range of abilities. Most never achieve that level.
    Which is a shame, and just goes to MichaelC's point. While most vampires are cannon fodder compared to what the average superhero can do in the Marvel Universe, it really shouldn't be that way. Ancient, or even just long-lived supernatural (or simply superhuman) predators upon humanity like vampires should be a lot more formidable even if/when going up against the best and worst of what a world full of superpowered heroes and villains can bring to their resting places. The Blade movies got it right in that sense; if you have a world secretly controlled and dominated by undead night-stalkers who have their hooks in pretty much every major human institution and power structure, especially transposed into a world full of shockingly and extremely powerful superhumans, those vampires should be scrambling for every edge they can get in the event of having to fight superheroes and/or supervillains. Beyond turning some of them, with advancements in genetic engineering and biological augmentation as they are, vampires with the resources and connections should be using that to upgrade themselves into the apex predators (that they believe) they're supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Oh yeah these are great monster designs.

Love when they get wild with the villains, these guys look like straight up abominations.
    Humanoid Abominations, for the most part, but still abominations.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I hope that Blade entices boy-thing to pal around with him for a while again. Get him on loan from the big guy.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope that Blade entices boy-thing to pal around with him for a while again. Get him on loan from the big guy.
    That was one of the better, if not best, parts of Jason Aaron's Avengers.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I mean that is the case for most vampire fiction even. A scrub that just got turned into one is above an average human but nothing more. Ancient elder vampires are generally the truly scary ones.

This is a quote from Jed Mackay in relation to this and why this group of super vampires needs to exist.
    https://www.ign.com/articles/bloody-...-fan-fest-2024

"You look at the Avengers, a lot of them have abilities that are extremely difficult for vampires to deal with, specifically Scarlet Witch who currently possesses the Darkhold, which itself has the Montesi Formula, which is the spell that can kill all vampires from the planet. Similarly, Dr. Strange had cast it previously, so with the vampires trying to take over the world, these are obviously people that are going to be high up on their hit list."

There is a reason the vampire corner is mostly contained to Blade. They are scary but let's not forget there are heroes with powers of gods and who deal with way more powerful stuff regularly.
    It's just like how many heroes don't deal with organized crime because that would similarly put the Punisher out of his job.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I trust Jed Mackay but does Superheroes vs vampires really need to be an event?
    Does it need to be? Not really, but i guess Marvel got envious of DC having a couple and decided to go for three (First one was with the X-men, second with the Avengers and now it is with the Marvel U as whole).

About the only thing this will have over DC VS V (both the first one and the upcoming one) IMO is that since it is set in 616 so there will be less foolishness on the heroes part. Not saying there won't be, just not on the same level as what DC did, but i mean 40+ issues? There is going to be A LOT of bad decisions made down the line.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I mean that is the case for most vampire fiction even. A scrub that just got turned into one is above an average human but nothing more. Ancient elder vampires are generally the truly scary ones.

This is a quote from Jed Mackay in relation to this and why this group of super vampires needs to exist.
    https://www.ign.com/articles/bloody-...-fan-fest-2024

"You look at the Avengers, a lot of them have abilities that are extremely difficult for vampires to deal with, specifically Scarlet Witch who currently possesses the Darkhold, which itself has the Montesi Formula, which is the spell that can kill all vampires from the planet. Similarly, Dr. Strange had cast it previously, so with the vampires trying to take over the world, these are obviously people that are going to be high up on their hit list."

There is a reason the vampire corner is mostly contained to Blade. They are scary but let's not forget there are heroes with powers of gods and who deal with way more powerful stuff regularly.
    It's just like how many heroes don't deal with organized crime because that would similarly put the Punisher out of his job.
    Exactatiously. It does make some logical sense.

Besides...there's no set Book of Rules on how Vampires should be written. There are many different types with varying powers and strengths as there are authors who write them. This is Jed Mackay's versions

I will say this though...(unless I completely missed it in the promo book and news) one name who is not mentioned at all so far in all this is Monica Rambeau. I would think with her powerset she'd be an asset in the fight.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Speaking of vampires... some time ago Dr. Strange used a spell that removed all vampires from existence. Some vampires still show up from time to time, as in the first Runaways series, but mostly as a continuity error. Did they ever explain why vampires are around again, and why Strange does not just use the spell again? And was there an out-of-universe reason for such a drastic move? Dracula was a public domain character the whole time, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Speaking of vampires... some time ago Dr. Strange used a spell that removed all vampires from existence. Some vampires still show up from time to time, as in the first Runaways series, but mostly as a continuity error. Did they ever explain why vampires are around again, and why Strange does not just use the spell again? And was there an out-of-universe reason for such a drastic move? Dracula was a public domain character the whole time, wasn't it?
    I think they did and it had something to do with the Darkhold book.

Ultimate Member

It was revoked a while ago, IIRC, but there have been vampires who boast about their age and resources despite having supposed to have been dead for a while (including a few in Jed's Moon Knight).

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I love their looks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    McKay is doing a great job introducing new villain teams to the MU. And Larraz excels at designing monsters and odd creatures.
    Ha, that's a trait of McKay, he introduces a set of badass, scary looking villains. He did it over with Avengers and he's doing it here.

I'm not complaining though. The villains look menacing. Bloodstorm One looks very statue-esque but creepy and monstrous.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

https://screenrant.com/doctor-strang...marvel-comics/ has the basics.

There was also a story sometime later that resurrected a whole bunch of formerly-dead vampires, but I can't find it right now.

As to why they did it... I think editorial felt vampires were getting stale, as superhero power levels increased. So they decided to let Drac & co go out with a bang.

ETA: The dead vampires were resurrected in Blade v4 #12, in 2007.
    Last edited by DigiCom; 03-10-2024 at 05:31 AM.

I wonder how he will write around T’challa’s king of the dead powers or whether it will be forgotten. Vampires are dead no? Maybe it doesn’t apply