Spectacular Member

Default Are the DCeased Spin-offs and Sequels Worth It?

Hello guys. Haven't posted in years but now trying to get back to comics/graphic novels.

I was able to buy the DCeased HC a few years back. Are the spin-offs and sequels worth it? The ones available in HC, namely: At World’s End, Unkillables, Dead Planet and War of the Undead Gods.

Many thanks!!!

I personally think the best are unkillables and dead planet. I enjoyed them all but At World’s End was sort of a tie-in that I imagine got created because DC was selling digital exclusives during Covid, plus if I’m honest it’s not 100% necessary to the series story overall.

War of the undead gods is the series ending it does in fact get a bit odd in ways that would be spoilers if I explained.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Personally I did enjoy them, so I would suggest getting them.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Unkillables, At World’s End and Dead Planet are fine. Nothing special, but pretty fun.
    War of the Undead Gods is boring and doesn't feel really neccessary, but ending is very emotional, especially if you're fan of certain characters.

Spectacular Member

Thank you all!!! Appreciate it!!!

Unkillables was really good.

War of the Undead Gods started out interesting and then just meandered and then ended. It didn’t seem like Taylor knew what he wanted to do with the story. He dragged it out and then the ending happened with a whimper.

Spectacular Member

So if I skip War of the Undead Gods, it is ok? It is the finale of the story right? I wont miss out?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasFnatic View Post
    So if I skip War of the Undead Gods, it is ok? It is the finale of the story right? I wont miss out?
    Here’s the thing, there are character moments and an end to an overall big threat you will miss out if you skip War of the undead gods. Including some things they set up for in Dead Planet.

The reason people are hesitant on War of the Undead Gods is because honestly it switched gears from being an overall zombie story like Dceased, unkillables, and dead planet. I would say it basically becomes a crisis level event set in an alternate universe with zombies in it. With becoming a crisis event some things get a bit crazy.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

They're zombie books written by Tom Taylor.

So no.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasFnatic View Post
    Well you'll miss how the story ends.
    At World's End and UnKillables are fun reads but they don't impact the DCeased storyline [UnKillables in particular doesn't impact the story and doesn't follow any of the characters that appear in dCeased] whereas the 2 sequels complete the story.
    DCeased ends with lots of plot threads left hanging. It covers the outbreak.

Dead Planet and At Worlds End covers the survivors rallying and searching for a resolution to save their world.
    War of the undead world covers the final stand while resolving the many plot lines left hanging at the end of DCeased.

DCeased isn't a complete story. It's set up that leaves you with more questions.
    Ignoring the 2 sequels would be like ending World War Z/Night of the Living dead at the point when the zombie outbreak occurs.
    Last edited by Fergus; 10-19-2023 at 04:12 AM.

I found them interesting tbh.

Incredible Member

Forgive me in advance if i'm not using the correct words to describe what i'm wondering but.... is Dceased canon? Are the changes made to characters now going to be applied and shown in other titles?
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    Forgive me in advance if i'm not using the correct words to describe what i'm wondering but.... is Dceased canon? Are the changes made to characters now going to be applied and shown in other titles?
    No, DCeased is an alternate world. It has zero effect on the characters in any other titles or main Comics ongoing canon world.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

No. tom taylor is a bad writer, and apparently a sexist.

Still bothers me how the main villain of a zombie DC story is Darkseid and not Anton Arcane or someone similar.