Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rhode Island Comic-Con to feature "all" Clark Kent actors

This sounds like an amazing event. As far as I know this will be the first time all modern Clark Kent actors have appeared together. Actually, it's not quite all as is being reported by some, John Haymes Newton who played Clark on the first season of Superboy and Henry Cavill won't be there. Plus, some of the voice actors. The super guys look great!

https://www.ricomiccon.com/

1111111ri2.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-15-2023 at 12:04 PM.

Dean Cain, huh...

Also Tim Daly but no George Newbern?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dean Cain, huh...

Also Tim Daly but no George Newbern?
    Logistically getting everyone from Gerard to Tyler together at one 3-day event is not an easy task. I don't know if others were invited and couldn't make it or what. Don't recall Newton doing events (unlike Gerard and Staci) so maybe he wasn't interested. Cain? His Clark was actually quite good - his Superman not so much. Superman fans are lucky to have had these actors who all delivered strong performances as Clark Kent.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-15-2023 at 12:25 PM.

Wasn't Cain disgraced? He was fired from his Jeremiah Danvers role on Supergirl.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wasn't Cain disgraced? He was fired from his Jeremiah Danvers role on Supergirl.
    Hadn't heard that. I only watched season 1 of Supergirl when it was on CBS. Cain joined the show later on. Things get said. As with The Witcher and Cavill. Cavill was a major problem on set, or it was the producers who were the major problem? Who knows?

I've followed Routh and Christopher - both are well liked in the industry with Christopher for years active in cancer research causes. Hoechlin is praised by all his co-stars as a genuinely great guy. From Bitsie to the Teen Wolf cast.

Routh is what some call a "gentle soul". It can be seen in his interview with Rosenbaum, about losing the Superman role.

Routh on losing Superman role

The one Clark I did not like as a person (like I knew him - LOL!) was Welling. He seemed full of himself and shied away from fan events at the time. That was my impression, but time has proven me wrong. Seeing him on the SmallTalk podcast with Rosenbaum has changed my opinion of him. He really embraces Smallville and the fans. He's a lot more laid back and willing to make fun of himself than I had thought.

All of these actors were good, some very good, as Clark and added their enduring take to the mythos.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-15-2023 at 06:33 PM.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I hope everyone remains professional when it comes to Jon, because you know someone will ask that question.

Yeah, he's been saying some pretty problematic stuff lately.

Yeah, he's been saying some pretty problematic stuff lately.

Astonishing Member

He was cancelled for being a bit of a right-winger (which, considering the overtly left-wing tint of CW's Supergirl, understandably wouldn't have made him popular on set).

Retired

This con sounds like something I would like to go to--if only. I envy those people that get to attend.

SUPERGIRL was filmed in Vancouver, B.C., Canada where I live and have worked. Also where my nephew lives and has worked as a crew member on many television shows filmed here. We are all subject to the same laws and protections. We all have the same rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in the Constitution Act of 1982. If Dean Cain was denied work based on his religious or political beliefs that violates the Charter and he would have a case in B.C. against the production company.

The Constititution is up on my wall, in it the Charter states

Fundamental freedoms

2 Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

And

Life, liberty and security of person

7 Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

I might not agree with what Dean Cain thinks, but I believe in the Charter--that's much more important to me than the hurt feelings of some co-workers. On a jobsite you work with people of all faiths and creeds and you owe one another mutual respect. You don't refuse to work with someone based on the content of their inner thoughts. So long as they don't violate the rights of another co-worker, they should be allowed to make their own living. To refuse them that right is just not Canadian.

The same rights that apply to Dean Cain would apply to a boom operator. Are they going to fire a boom operator if he happens to post on instagram that the world is flat?

There have been way too many Superman actors over the last 30 years for this to be even close to all of them (Darren Chris, Justin Hartley, Jason Isaacs, Jerry O'Connell, Jason J. Lewis, etc etc) but even trying to get the really high profile Superman actors, the absence of Jack Quaid, George Newbern and Henry Cavill seem glaring, in light of the claim that this is all of them. But, I suppose I'm just splitting hairs.

As for Dean Cain, However, when I met him at a convention, he was a perfect gentleman. Practically carried my wife from her wheelchair to the photo area. Made her day!

He obviously has said some dumb things in the news and on social media, but it's not like he's a white nationalist or anything like that. He's just got a bad habit of inserting himself into news stories by saying things in the tired old vein of like, "so much for the tolerant left," or like "people are such snowflakes these days." It's irritating, but it's nothing too horrible, as far as I know.

So it kind of is overblown, in the sense that lots of people say thoughtless or ignorant things without it becoming a news story, but Dean Cain has the misfortune to be famous for having played a paragon of morality, so it hits his reputation differently.

Personally, none of that impacts how positively I view his run as Superman, the way something more egregious would. Lois & Clark is a great show!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    There have been way too many Superman actors over the last 30 years for this to be even close to all of them (Darren Chris, Justin Hartley, Jason Isaacs, Jerry O'Connell, Jason J. Lewis, etc etc) but even trying to get the really high profile Superman actors, the absence of Jack Quaid, George Newbern and Henry Cavill seem glaring, in light of the claim that this is all of them. But, I suppose I'm just splitting hairs.

As for Dean Cain, However, when I met him at a convention, he was a perfect gentleman. Practically carried my wife from her wheelchair to the photo area. Made her day!

He obviously has said some dumb things in the news and on social media, but it's not like he's a white nationalist or anything like that. He's just got a bad habit of inserting himself into news stories by saying things in the tired old vein of like, "so much for the tolerant left," or like "people are such snowflakes these days." It's irritating, but it's nothing too horrible, as far as I know.

So it kind of is overblown, in the sense that lots of people say thoughtless or ignorant things without it becoming a news story, but Dean Cain has the misfortune to be famous for having played a paragon of morality, so it hits his reputation differently.

Personally, none of that impacts how positively I view his run as Superman, the way something more egregious would. Lois & Clark is a great show!
    I appreciate this take on it.

In honor of Superboy's upcoming 35th anniversary and Gerard's appearance at the RI Comicon the guys at the allstarsuperfan podcast managed to snag an interview with Gerard. Fun and fascinating. GC refers to himself as the grandaddy of the Superman actors set to appear next week. His voice is exactly the same as on the TV show and he's 64! Gerard opines on all things Superman and Superboy including race and gender swapping of legacy superheroes, whom he would like to play if he had the chance to appear in SL and his preference for a more serious, less campy Superman - his big complaint about his first season as Superboy. When Gerard became co-producer later on the show's tone really changed and some the best eps are from the last 2 seasons. Gerard prefers a noir look for Superman and felt the costume was too bright and it was toned down in seasons 3 and 4 - I didn't know that. Trivia - the intro music for the allstarsuperman podcast is the theme music from the Superboy series. Check it out:

Gerard Christopher on 35th anniversary of Superboy, RI ComicCon and more
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-28-2023 at 03:42 PM.

Ultimate Member

I'm like, who's this Gerard Christopher? What, there was a Superboy TV show in the late 80's early 90's? How did I not know this? Was I off-planet at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm like, who's this Gerard Christopher? What, there was a Superboy TV show in the late 80's early 90's? How did I not know this? Was I off-planet at the time?
    Yeah, as the podcast hosts mention Superboy is a sadly forgotten iteration of Superman on screen. They ask Gerard does he think the series deserved more notice and Gerard of course replied yes, There was bad blood between the Salkinds and WB which led to WB basically burying the series. The season 2, 3 and 4 DVD did not come out until 2013 which is when I discovered the show. The series never went into rerun syndication even though it had the "magic" 100 eps to do so.

The DVDs can be purchased at Amazon and other places and are worth the money for any Superboy/Superman fans.

GC444.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 10-29-2023 at 10:06 AM.