Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Runs that you didn't love by writers that you do.

I'll start. I love Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman and JLA, but hated his Batman and X-Men. Similarly, I loved Mark Waid's Flash, Impulse, Superman Birthright, Kingdom Come, Captain America, and World's Finest, but disliked his Daredevil (although I did like parts, just not enough to satisfy me).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I'll start. I love Grant Morrison's…X-Men.
    ^^^I remember being SO EXCITED picking up Morrison’s first issue of X-Men.

And then I read it.

The Fabian Nicieza run on X-Men would be my choice. I mean, not even Remy could "persuade" me...

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-17-2023 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

I hated Morrison's X-Men. It was the first I've ever read from the writer, so for some time I was convinced that I wouldn't like anything. But them I've read the Batman run and it's still my favorite.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Brian Bendis. I loved his early work on Powers, Torso, Ultimate Spider-Man and Daredevil. I was excited to see him taking over Avengers after Chuck Austen's terrible run.

What followed led to me quit most Marvel books. His ten-year stranglehold on the Marvel universe was terrible.

Fantastic Member

Jason Aaron’s Avengers. Nailed it with Thor, hated the entirety of that series except for WW She-Hulk, and the War of Realms.
    Second choice would be Hickman’s Avengers. Loved his FF, hated the ‘everyone’s an Avenger’ thing. The point of the series was lost on me.
    Last edited by Jely4me; 10-18-2023 at 05:22 PM.

Sins Past and One More Day by Straczynski. I couldn't read Spider-Man after those.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

If never read anything written by Grant Morrison or drawn by Greg Land again it will be too soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Brian Bendis. I loved his early work on Powers, Torso, Ultimate Spider-Man and Daredevil. I was excited to see him taking over Avengers after Chuck Austen's terrible run.

What followed led to me quit most Marvel books. His ten-year stranglehold on the Marvel universe was terrible.
    This was my experience as well. I still live in fear that Bendis is going to show up again, like he is waiting for us to forget his disastrous Superman.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Sins Past and One More Day by Straczynski. I couldn't read Spider-Man after those.
    One More Day was at least partly Joe Quesada. As for Sins Past, the less said about it, the better. It's for the best that later writers retconned it.

Loved Tom Defalco's Spider-Man and Spider-Girl. But didn't think his Fantastic Four run was anything special. Its only highlight was basically ripping off an idea from a mid-1980's Legion of Super-Heroes story, with a Skrull in the role of a Durlan.

I liked Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man, but didn't care much for his Avengers or any 'team' book he's done.

Warren Ellis's X-Force is the absolute worst X-Force or New Mutants have ever been written. It's also probabaly the worst drawn they've ever been as well.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Totally agree on Bendis. The guy has a style that suits certain books, and when he goes outside of that its a trash fire. He is not a team book writer or a cosmic character writer. His niche is street level and that is where he should have stayed.

The one I will give is Mark Waid. I love his stuff most of the time, but god was his second run on the Legion of Superheroes a total failure. He reboots the whole team into unlikable assholes and writes 3 years of the most forgettable Legion stories ever. The really sad part is he was one of the main guys on the first Reboot and his year long run there was actually really great.

I like Zdarsky's Daredevil but not his current Batman run.

Incredible Member

Really enjoyed Peter David's run on THE INCREDIBLE HULK and even his STAR TREK novels but not so much some of his other stuff.
    Did not get to read all of Chris Claremont's run on UNCANNY X-MEN but enjoyed what I did get to read. But not his work on the FANTASTIC FOUR. It was SO boring. lol
    Please help Eisner Award winning comic book writer Paul Jenkins and his family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-he...7vlOjaJCkRwCIs

https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund