Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman will be less of a jobber if stays bulletproof.

I have seen some people argue that being bulletproof would take away her iconic bracelets. But that is not true. They are still useful. And can still be used in different ways. Also, at this point everybody should know, that not being bulletproof is the main reason why Diana jobs more often than others. How can you explain the many times that she has been put up against streetlevers? Deathstroke, Ra's al Ghul, katana, batman, joker, and literally no name characters that have put her life to risk with a regular gun. Sure she can still be used as a jobber while being bulletproof. But nobody can deny that being bulletproof would allow her to avoid many bad situations that certain writers love to put her in, taking advantage of a stupid weakness without even a prope explanation. Because in most situations where they want her life at risk because of a normal bullet. They also nerf her speed and reflexes to make the scene happen. As they can't even bother to put effort into think of a clever way to execute the situation, without having to nerf her other abilities in the proccess. So for that is better if she stays bulletproof. You would never see her job to street levelers with regular guns if she was always bulletproof. And that would already be a welcome improvement in this mess known as shared universe.

Why is this a new thread instead of in controversial?

Regardless, invulnerability or the lack thereof has nothing to do with someone being a 'jobber'.
    Both Snyder and King had the entire Justice League get effortlessly curbstomped to hype the Joker and Gotham-man as big deals.
    Superman was effortlessly defeated by Ultro- I mean Fail-Safe in the most recent run just to show how dangerous a threat the villain was.
    Batman vs Robin had Damien defeat all the worlds magic types as build up to a plan to defeat Batman which included Fate, Circe, and Le Fay.
    King had Harley Quinn defeat Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all at once in Heroes in Crisis.

If someone has a reputation for being strong, they will get used as fodder to show how tough their counterpart is regardless of what the scouter says on their power levels. Deathstroke WILL defeat Superman in the Deathstroke book. Batman will defeat the entire Justice League in the Batbooks. In a story where Catwoman is the main character she will defeat Cheetah regardless of the power difference.

Writers don't look at things with a question of how invulnerable someone is or how many powers they have. They look at what best sells the character their writing and works for the story and will make it work regardless.

Make Wonder Woman invulnerable? Sure, you can do that. Though that will just mean Deathstroke will once again have a godkiller sword that can wound her anyway. Or Katanas Katana will slice through regardless. Or Ras will have some macguffin that nullifies it.

You can give a character as many feats and powers as you want. It wont matter if a writer wants or needs a story to go in a certain direction.

Fuzzy Mittens beat me to it.

You can make a character as powerful as you want, that won't matter if a writers needs a super strong character to take a loss for the story they're writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post

Regardless, invulnerability or the lack thereof has nothing to do with someone being a 'jobber'.
    Both Snyder and King had the entire Justice League get effortlessly curbstomped to hype the Joker and Gotham-man as big deals.
    Superman was effortlessly defeated by Ultro- I mean Fail-Safe in the most recent run just to show how dangerous a threat the villain was.
    Batman vs Robin had Damien defeat all the worlds magic types as build up to a plan to defeat Batman which included Fate, Circe, and Le Fay.
    King had Harley Quinn defeat Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all at once in Heroes in Crisis.

If someone has a reputation for being strong, they will get used as fodder to show how tough their counterpart is regardless of what the scouter says on their power levels. Deathstroke WILL defeat Superman in the Deathstroke book. Batman will defeat the entire Justice League in the Batbooks. In a story where Catwoman is the main character she will defeat Cheetah regardless of the power difference.

Writers don't look at things with a question of how invulnerable someone is or how many powers they have. They look at what best sells the character their writing and works for the story and will make it work regardless.

Make Wonder Woman invulnerable? Sure, you can do that. Though that will just mean Deathstroke will once again have a godkiller sword that can wound her anyway. Or Katanas Katana will slice through regardless. Or Ras will have some macguffin that nullifies it.

You can give a character as many feats and powers as you want. It wont matter if a writer wants or needs a story to go in a certain direction.
    They won't make her a jobber asgainst regular weapons, even in the hands of literal no name characters. Which has been the peak of terrible moments for WW lately too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    They won't make her a jobber asgainst regular weapons, even in the hands of literal no name characters. Which has been the peak of terrible moments for WW lately too many times.
    .....The most recent issue outright establishes the government invented super bullets which would work on Amazons. Steve Orlandos run had the Baroness use special 'god killing bullets' on Wonder Woman. There is literally no plot contrievence you can invent that someone could not turn around and circumvent without batting an eye.

'Shes invulnerable!'
    'Cool. Cool. Well this cuts through her.'
    'But...But shes SUPER invulnerable!'
    'Well we just mass produced this thing that anyone can use that can kill her.'
    'But....NOTHING CAN HURT HER!'
    'LOL'

.....The most recent issue outright establishes the government invented super bullets which would work on Amazons. Steve Orlandos run had the Baroness use special 'god killing bullets' on Wonder Woman. There is literally no plot contrievence you can invent that someone could not turn around and circumvent without batting an eye.

'Shes invulnerable!'
    'Cool. Cool. Well this cuts through her.'
    'But...But shes SUPER invulnerable!'
    'Well we just mass produced this thing that anyone can use that can kill her.'
    'But....NOTHING CAN HURT HER!'
    'LOL'
    Yet you also had things like priest jl run. The tom taylor superboy issue. The fontana run where a doctor pierced her with cactus needles etc. That is the kind of jobbing i am talking about. You still have many writers making her job to regular weapons held by no name characters even. She needs to be officially bulletproof across all DC comic appearances, so at least that kind of jobbing doesn't happen anymore.

I mean, as long as she deflects bullets anyways.

I’m fine with her being bulletproof via convention firearms and guns, as long as she’s reflecting gun and weapon fire with her bracelets. I mean, Mera and Arthur are bulletproof too, so why not Diana. I’m also good with technologically and/or magically advanced weaponry that can put the hurt on Diana or Clark or other characters as well and/or a sufficient amount of strength and power from an adversary that can cut, wound, concuss, etc. them.

Diana’s bullets and bracelets is unique to her and one of the things that make her wonderful. The bracers are as much a defense for her from mundane and magical projectiles as they are a defense for other people she’s protecting and as they are a speed, dexterity, and power skill she can use to intimidate adversaries. This alone in as gun-happy a country as the U.S. is is significant. She’s bulletproof and “untouchable” in a sense.

Anyway, regardless of all that, the practical thing would be for DC to have a character bible for each character, bigger and more in depth for major characters, that explains where their powers are derived from, how they work, where they rank on some scales in relation to one another and their limitations. That’d give creators a better sense of the characters’ abilities to build their story and be creative around and perhaps add to the bible depending on the plot and drama in their stories.

To avoid getting jobbed, there has to be some boundaries and explanations about the character and accountability to be creative, but work within the boundaries.

Extraordinary Member

Because reasons, I guess?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

She should be bulletproof i.e. no mortal weapons can harm her, idc if Cyber or the gods or whatever makes special things that can kill her, hell at least there's an extra step involved aside pulling out a basic pistol and putting it to her stomach.

but yeah only thing that's going to prevent jobbing is a strong editorial team with an index about her powers, history, and skills.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Since when is being bulletproof, bulletproof to being less of a "jobber"?

Superman, Darkseid, plenty of super powerful heroes/villains get "jobbed" who are practically bulletproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    but yeah only thing that's going to prevent jobbing is a strong editorial team with an index about her powers, history, and skills.
    Well that doesnt make sense since if you have a strong editorial team with an index of her powers, history, skills.....she wouldnt be bulletproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Since when is being bulletproof, bulletproof to being less of a "jobber"?

Superman, Darkseid, plenty of super powerful heroes/villains get "jobbed" who are practically bulletproof.

Well that doesnt make sense since if you have a strong editorial team with an index of her powers, history, skills.....she wouldnt be bulletproof.
    Maybe you missed the first sentence when I said she should be? not that she already is. And fun fact getting hit and hurt from regular old bullets is a thing that's happened to her and iirc NOT superman, darkseid, and plenty of other powerful characters. In fact, I'd rather deal with other forms of jobbing than getting hit by bullets and nearly dying from it any day.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Maybe you missed the first sentence when I said she should be? not that she already is. And fun fact getting hit and hurt from regular old bullets is a thing that's happened to her and iirc NOT superman, darkseid, and plenty of other powerful characters. In fact, I'd rather deal with other forms of jobbing than getting hit by bullets and nearly dying from it any day.
    Didnt miss anything. Because regardless, "should be bullet proof and writers should follow this new rule" is different from "should be bullet proof but only editorial teams with an index about her powers, history, and skills" would mean she still isnt bulletproof.

"Jobbing" is "Jobbing" regardless of how they jobbed. Even if she was fully bulletproof, some here would still be mad that she is jobbed another way as Superman, Darkseid, etc... prove by getting jobbed throughout their history.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Didnt miss anything. Because regardless, "should be bullet proof and writers should follow this new rule" is different from "should be bullet proof but only editorial teams with an index about her powers, history, and skills" would mean she still isnt bulletproof.

"Jobbing" is "Jobbing" regardless of how they jobbed. Even if she was fully bulletproof, some here would still be mad that she is jobbed another way as Superman, Darkseid, etc... prove by getting jobbed throughout their history.
    Still they don't get jobbed in such a pathetic way as being killed by a normal bullet. So my point stands still. It would be one way of jobbing that wouldn't exist for her.

Rebirth has had her bulletproof in more recent feats. They should keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    Still they don't get jobbed in such a pathetic way as being killed by a normal bullet. So my point stands still. It would be one way of jobbing that wouldn't exist for her.

Rebirth has had her bulletproof in more recent feats. They should keep it that way.
    You act like she gets killed by bullets left and right