Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    I don't think it matters at all how powerful a character is established.

Even if they make her bulletproof, someone will make god-killing bullets in the comics and it will render everything pointless.

Wonder Woman's biggest problem is not her power level, but its being handled by writers who think writing her is homework.
    I think this is getting semantical, god-killing bullets aren't regular bullets otherwise why clarify they can kill gods that?

And you are right about how writers handle her like she's a chore than something exciting. But I still do not understand this insistence on her being harmed even potentially killed by regular old lead bullets... You'll get moments like in Priest's JL run or anything that plays on this singular tangible weakness a writer can use and then people get upset and blame writer? Newsflash, it's the only thing on paper a writer has to use easily like Superman and kryptonite. Diana getting shot or harmed by bullets are all bad moments because this character has a bad weakness, and most writers aren't going to dive into her history to know that. But guess what I'm not blaming the writer on this one anymore, I'm blaming the shite weakness. It gets ridiculous having this pop up every now and again, "oh in this issue will Diana survive the m1911 gunshot wound she received from joe lunchbox as he makes his escape from the bank..."

People act like making her bulletproof is going to destroy everything this character is and it's like wow, do you even pay attention to all the other shite that happens. This one thing, this pointless weakness that was put on her for no reason, people are finally done with it, and suddenly half this board loses its mind when people say 'hey, let's give this character some vulnerabilities that make some sense'.

I can by Martian Manhunter being weak to fire, sometimes it's psychological other times it's legit just fire, guess what, bullets still don't mean anything to him. Aquaman, despite how many times he punches Superman or Diana or whoever else he still isn't as powerful as Diana, guess what he's bulletproof. Batman even uses bulletproof armor in his suits. So why Diana? I have never heard of a good reason for Diana to have a specific vulnerability to bullets ever, it's probably not going to start now but hey, I'd love to hear it.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I think this is getting semantical, god-killing bullets aren't regular bullets otherwise why clarify they can kill gods that?

And you are right about how writers handle her like she's a chore than something exciting. But I still do not understand this insistence on her being harmed even potentially killed by regular old lead bullets... You'll get moments like in Priest's JL run or anything that plays on this singular tangible weakness a writer can use and then people get upset and blame writer? Newsflash, it's the only thing on paper a writer has to use easily like Superman and kryptonite. Diana getting shot or harmed by bullets are all bad moments because this character has a bad weakness, and most writers aren't going to dive into her history to know that. But guess what I'm not blaming the writer on this one anymore, I'm blaming the shite weakness. It gets ridiculous having this pop up every now and again, "oh in this issue will Diana survive the m1911 gunshot wound she received from joe lunchbox as he makes his escape from the bank..."

People act like making her bulletproof is going to destroy everything this character is and it's like wow, do you even pay attention to all the other shite that happens. This one thing, this pointless weakness that was put on her for no reason, people are finally done with it, and suddenly half this board loses its mind when people say 'hey, let's give this character some vulnerabilities that make some sense'.

I can by Martian Manhunter being weak to fire, sometimes it's psychological other times it's legit just fire, guess what, bullets still don't mean anything to him. Aquaman, despite how many times he punches Superman or Diana or whoever else he still isn't as powerful as Diana, guess what he's bulletproof. Batman even uses bulletproof armor in his suits. So why Diana? I have never heard of a good reason for Diana to have a specific vulnerability to bullets ever, it's probably not going to start now but hey, I'd love to hear it.
    Yeah, I understand your point. I just think sometimes people focus too much on WW's fluctuating power level as something holding her back, but I feel the problem is just that most writers simply dont bother understanding her.

But honestly, given WW goes toe to toe with Superman, it would be ridiculous for her to be vulnerable to bullets. So I agree there that she should be bulletproof.

As far as use for her iconic bracelets is concerned, it can be made that her bracelets absorb kinetic energy so it prevents bullet missing her or ricocheting off her and hitting someone else. So as soon as the bullets hit her bracelets, they fall down harmlessly.

Yeah, I understand your point. I just think sometimes people focus too much on WW's fluctuating power level as something holding her back, but I feel the problem is just that most writers simply dont bother understanding her.

But honestly, given WW goes toe to toe with Superman, it would be ridiculous for her to be vulnerable to bullets. So I agree there that she should be bulletproof.

As far as use for her iconic bracelets is concerned, it can be made that her bracelets absorb kinetic energy so it prevents bullet missing her or ricocheting off her and hitting someone else. So as soon as the bullets hit her bracelets, they fall down harmlessly.
    Yeah, I agree too that writers are most of the time the ones that deserve the blame, since they more or less direct the direction of the story. Yes, editorial exists, but I don't believe people are constantly trying to pull her down, yes, those people do exist, however. Basically, it's more willful ignorance than malice most the time.

Personally, like that it does ricochet, she's just that skilled in directing their trajectory. But, the kinetic absorption is cool too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    What are the multiple possible outcomes of WW vsa dudes with guns? Are you really saying that somebody with the strength and speed she is supposed to have could find herself losing and or dying in such situation? Please. She should always win the fights against normal people with gunbs easily. She is not the type of character that is supposed to struglle with that. That is not the same as wanting her to win everything, or never struggle. The struggle needs to happen organically, by facing opponents oin her level. Not regular people with guns.

I would prefer if WW never interacts with BM and SM. But if they have to interact, i wouldn't mind seeing her kill SM, like they have done to her. SM has killed her easily more than once, but i am sure that is ok with you. Diana is the one who always needs to struggle right? Never the others. Sigh.
    Name one opponent you want WW to struggle against. You've made it clear you want her to one-punch Supes and Bats. And no, SM killing anyone is not okay with me, let alone WW, so please put words in someone else's mouth.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think it matters at all how powerful a character is established.

Even if they make her bulletproof, someone will make god-killing bullets in the comics and it will render everything pointless.

Wonder Woman's biggest problem is not her power level, but its being handled by writers who think writing her is homework.
    But haven't you heard? Stats are everything!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    But haven't you heard? Stats are everything!
    WonderLight just whines about everything. Even when they get what they want they still whine. “I want WW to kill Superman!” ok done, she did that in Dead Earth. She beat him up in Injustice. I’ve posted the panels before and they just kept whining. WL really should just write some godawful fanfic where Wondy utterly beats Kal to death to blow off some steam because apparently actually having writers give them what they’re asking for isn’t enough. I suppose nothing less than full Mary Sue status for Wondy where she wins every fight and beats everyone without breaking a sweat would do it.

But really not even then, what WonderLight wants is not something you can get by raising power levels. They want Batman status for Wondy and that’s not happening any time soon. You don’t get that simply by declaring your fave the strongest. And you certainly can’t stop a character from jobbing when the writer wants them to.
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-12-2023 at 02:40 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Name one opponent you want WW to struggle against. You've made it clear you want her to one-punch Supes and Bats. And no, SM killing anyone is not okay with me, let alone WW, so please put words in someone else's mouth.
    batman has one shotted and two shotted WW. So it's only fair she returns the favor. SM has killed her multiple times in one or two hits. If that is the use writers have for her. Then at least i would like to see WW getting the same opportunities to return the favor. Or even better. Stop writing WW next to batman and superman. To me itwould be much better that she doesn't interact with them, than to see her killing them.

Well i would like to start with her own villains. Cheetah, Queen Clea, Circe, Ares. All her powerful foees. if they could get some respect by DC, and be portrayed as the powerhouses they are meant to be. What i don't want to see WW struggling with, is normal humans with regular guns.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    WonderLight just whines about everything. Even when they get what they want they still whine. “I want WW to kill Superman!” ok done, she did that in Dead Earth. She beat him up in Injustice. I’ve posted the panels before and they just kept whining. WL really should just write some godawful fanfic where Wondy utterly beats Kal to death to blow off some steam because apparently actually having writers give them what they’re asking for isn’t enough. I suppose nothing less than full Mary Sue status for Wondy where she wins every fight and beats everyone without breaking a sweat would do it.

But really not even then, what WonderLight wants is not something you can get by raising power levels. They want Batman status for Wondy and that’s not happening any time soon. You don’t get that simply by declaring your fave the strongest. And you certainly can’t stop a character from jobbing when the writer wants them to.
    WW still is fodder to BM and SM in most stories where they have faced her. So you can't act like this is not the case. WW has also been the punching bag for Awuaman, Mary Marvel etc in how many stories already?

Call me when they stop making her jobb so much to almost anybody.

WW in her introduction was said to be faster that Hermes, stronger than Hercules and wiser than Athena. Yet, very few writers over the decades have to stuck to that edict. So even if you power her up and say that she is a reality warper now, if the writer ultimately does not care about the character enough to write believable fight scenes then it's all for naught.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    WW in her introduction was said to be faster that Hermes, stronger than Hercules and wiser than Athena. Yet, very few writers over the decades have to stuck to that edict. So even if you power her up and say that she is a reality warper now, if the writer ultimately does not care about the character enough to write believable fight scenes then it's all for naught.
    Small note.. she was usually described as swifter than Mercury, stronger than Hercules, BUT as wise as Athena ( she was " more" than the male, but equal to the female").

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Small note.. she was usually described as swifter than Mercury, stronger than Hercules, BUT as wise as Athena ( she was " more" than the male, but equal to the female").
    oh yeah, "equality" at it's finest.

Extraordinary Member

batman has one shotted and two shotted WW. So it's only fair she returns the favor. SM has killed her multiple times in one or two hits. If that is the use writers have for her. Then at least i would like to see WW getting the same opportunities to return the favor. Or even better. Stop writing WW next to batman and superman. To me itwould be much better that she doesn't interact with them, than to see her killing them.
    She's already taken Batman out. If this doesn't quench your very clear bloodlust, I don't know what will:

91QJA44BGhL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I actually agree with that last part, though. If that's what it would take to put an end to all this mindless prattle about who's favorite superhero can beat another's favorite superhero, I'm all for it.

Well i would like to start with her own villains. Cheetah, Queen Clea, Circe, Ares. All her powerful foees. if they could get some respect by DC, and be portrayed as the powerhouses they are meant to be. What i don't want to see WW struggling with, is normal humans with regular guns.
    She hasn't been struggling with them. Like, at all. She's taken them all out so far really easily. So I'm really not sure where you see the struggle.