Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    You made me think of something... So if she has the strength of Gaea, the blunt force vs sharp objects kinda makes sense in a way.

It easier to shove something pointed into the Earth vs something with a flat point of contact. So I see where the idea of projectiles might hurt her, but a punch might not
    Do her powers even have anything to do with Gaea anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Um no lol.
    Well, the two examples you gave are different. A punch , whether Kryptonian or not, had a different surface impact than something smaller/ sharper/ pointier. That a punch would hit her differently than a projectile.

In the 70s I remember a Brave and Bold where Diana takes the brunt of an explosion, and is only dazed thanks to her " tough Amazon hide"

The real answer to all of this is that she never gets shot, because she deflects whatever the projectile is.

And a lack of that is the fault of writers/ editors who do t make writers fall within the parameters of a character and it's established mythos.

The discussion really should be, do we want her to be a flying brick, or do we want to maintain her iconic elements that make her unique?

Also, I think thinking too much about stuff makes comics less fun...lol. we accept the physical impossibility of a solar powered man flying and shooting lasers from his eyes. We accept a man can be the best, smartest, most skilled fighter and detective , the most well equipped warrior in a short amount of time, cuz money . Aliens, magic rings, witches, speedsters. It all take a degree of suspension of disbelief.

So I'm fine with perceived inconsistency in " punch but bullet?!?" Because it's not real. I just want her to maintain the " bullets( or whatever) and bracelets skillset because it's cool, it's unique to the Wonders, and it's visually more interesting that watching crap bounce off of her.

I also don't think she should be able to submerge herself in lava, and that happened once. But that was lazy writing, and I don't consider that indictive of established powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Do her powers even have anything to do with Gaea anymore?
    Who knows? She was blessed by the Gods with her powers in the retelling of her original in Rebirth, but so much has happened since then. I guess since " everything happened ' at least somewhere in there, she has the strength of the Earth....lol

I love the notion of Diana having 'the strength of Gaea,' not just because it is a feminine deity/force that gifts her strength (versus the outdated [and potentially problematic] 'stronger than Hercules' thing or the vomit-inducing [to me] Daddy Zeus Gave Me My Power thing), but because imo, evokes enough power to support the idea that Diana can move planets (lol). In any case, I am a firm proponent of Diana's bulletproof skin and her use of the bracelets to deflect projectiles peacefully coexisting.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Well, the two examples you gave are different. A punch , whether Kryptonian or not, had a different surface impact than something smaller/ sharper/ pointier. That a punch would hit her differently than a projectile.

In the 70s I remember a Brave and Bold where Diana takes the brunt of an explosion, and is only dazed thanks to her " tough Amazon hide"

The real answer to all of this is that she never gets shot, because she deflects whatever the projectile is.

And a lack of that is the fault of writers/ editors who do t make writers fall within the parameters of a character and it's established mythos.

The discussion really should be, do we want her to be a flying brick, or do we want to maintain her iconic elements that make her unique?

Also, I think thinking too much about stuff makes comics less fun...lol. we accept the physical impossibility of a solar powered man flying and shooting lasers from his eyes. We accept a man can be the best, smartest, most skilled fighter and detective , the most well equipped warrior in a short amount of time, cuz money . Aliens, magic rings, witches, speedsters. It all take a degree of suspension of disbelief.

So I'm fine with perceived inconsistency in " punch but bullet?!?" Because it's not real. I just want her to maintain the " bullets( or whatever) and bracelets skillset because it's cool, it's unique to the Wonders, and it's visually more interesting that watching crap bounce off of her.

I also don't think she should be able to submerge herself in lava, and that happened once. But that was lazy writing, and I don't consider that indictive of established powers.
    Last time i checked. She is supposed to be a flying brick.

She has taken high heat attack a lot of times.

Basically you want her to be pathetically weak. A bullet can koll her, lava can kill her. anything else? Seriously. A kryptonian punch should also kill her based on the idea that you have about what her power level should be. A weaklink. Wonder weak should be her codename if some of her ''fans'' could write her.

And by the way. There is nothing unique about dying from a bullet. Countless chartacters can die from that. And alñl humans in real life too. And here i was thinking WW is supposed to be super powerful. Guess i was wrong.

I prefer Diana being bulletproof and find deflecting bullets with her bracelets to be the least impre6thing she can do. That being said, I don't think this will make her less of a jobber. That will probably only happen if she's removed from the wider DCU entirely.

One of her powers is sisterhood with fire. Submerging in lava isn't lazy writing, it's part of her established power set.

In my opinion, bullets and bracelets is way below on the list of unique and iconic elements for Diana.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-29-2023 at 11:24 AM.

One of her powers is sisterhood with fire. Submerging in lava isn't lazy writing, it's part of her established power set.

In my opinion, bullets and bracelets is way below on the list of unique and iconic elements for Diana.
    Sisterhood with fire in it's exact quote is " that it may open men's hearts to her". So that can be read as several things, but not lava proof...lol

How is deflecting things with her bracelets not one of her most iconic things? When most folks ( comic fans or not-- and honestly most folks in the general public) hear the name WW, they probably think of deflecting stuff with her bracelets and the lasso.

Now, is that what's most important to her character? No. Has she done other amazing things? Of course. But it's a pretty freaking unique skill , and it's impressive. And definitely iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    Last time i checked. She is supposed to be a flying brick.

She has taken high heat attack a lot of times.

Basically you want her to be pathetically weak. A bullet can koll her, lava can kill her. anything else? Seriously. A kryptonian punch should also kill her based on the idea that you have about what her power level should be. A weaklink. Wonder weak should be her codename if some of her ''fans'' could write her.

And by the way. There is nothing unique about dying from a bullet. Countless chartacters can die from that. And alñl humans in real life too. And here i was thinking WW is supposed to be super powerful. Guess i was wrong.
    I don't want her to be " pathetically weak". That's not what I am saying. That's your take. Your only take, ever. And if that's what you feel, that's your opinion. But you don't get to define that for me. You get to have your own opinions, as do I.

Her being a weakling, or a weak link, are not part of my wants or feelings for Diana.

I also seem to be the only one feeding this thread, so I'm gonna go ahead and exit.....
    Last edited by wonder39; 10-29-2023 at 12:40 PM.

Both.
    I want both. I want Diana to be a flying brick who retains the elements that have become synonymous with Wonder Woman.
    Deflecting bullets with her iconic bullets doesn't automatically negate the usefulness of her skin being as tough as the earth itself.
    Self-powered flight doesn't automatically invalidate the usefulness of having an invisible plane.
    And it's also interesting to me that Superman fans have zero problem with the whole "The red sun powers up Superman to being virtually indestructible" but some WW fans have a problem accepting that Wonder Woman being literally born from the womb of Gaea could make her body as tough and as impervious to harm (including harm from fire or lava) as Gaea herself? It's a comic book that has already established how her powers are gifts from her goddesses (or from her divine lineage).
    I just suspend my disbelief and enjoy the ride.

I don't want her to be " pathetically weak". That's not what I am saying. That's your take. Your only take, ever. And if that's what you feel, that's your opinion. But you don't get to define that for me. You get to have your own opinions, as do I.

Her being a weakling, or a weak link, are not part of my wants or feelings for Diana.

I also seem to be the only one feeding this thread, so I'm gonna go ahead and exit.....
    If she can die from a bullet, and can't survive lava then she is pretty weak. No real powerhouse would have such a fragile body.

Extraordinary Member

I prefer Diana being bulletproof and find deflecting bullets with her bracelets to be the least impre6thing she can do. That being said, I don't think this will make her less of a jobber. That will probably only happen if she's removed from the wider DCU entirely.
    To an extent, I have to agree. It's really the only way for these stupid pissing contests to end.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

She wss bullet proof in the Injustice-verse. Best WW yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    She wss bullet proof in the Injustice-verse. Best WW yet?
    Being bulletproof is not the reason why that version sucks.

Extraordinary Member

aaa.jpg

Last edited by phonogram12; 10-30-2023 at 03:50 PM.