Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yes! I get that team books don't have the page count to deal with all of the supporting casts of their team members, like Iron Man's old executive assistant Mrs. Arboghast (a character I liked a lot more than Pepper, since she was clearly never going to be Tony's Sexual Conquest #478), or whatever, but even the teams like the FF and Avengers need their Willie Lumpkins and Jarvises, Aunt Petunias and Henry Peter Gyriches!
    {Old Man Harmuph!} That's because they don't write stories anymore, they write movie-adaptable action scenes.

{In Fairness} We're chumps enough to buy what they're selling instead of steering them with our dollars.

Torch had Toro, Cap had Bucky, now we just need kid sidekicks for Namor (kid Namorita!), Whizzer (Lil Squirt!), Union Jack (Union Jill!), Spitfire (Fire-eater!), etc.
    LOL...Lil' Squirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    LOL...Lil' Squirt.
    ^^^That one and Union Jill!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    LOL...Lil' Squirt.
    Well, his name is Whizzer, so I was just running with the theme.

Well, his name is Whizzer, so I was just running with the theme.
    ^^^heh heh…running with.

Extraordinary Member

Legion did not have unlimited mutant powers. He was a psi with telepathy (controlled by the terrorist he absorbed, Jemail), telekinesis (controlled by the Jack Wayne personality) and pyrokinesis (controlled by the Cyndi personality).

This nonsense of unlimited powers each with its own personality was stupid.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Back when most of us were reading-we didn't start at issue 1. A LOT of us started at issues 200 or 150 or 7 and didn't look back.
    THIS.
    When I started collecting full-time, I started with Hulk #321-323.
    Didn't care about creative teams, just excited about seeing the Hulk take down both teams of Avengers and doing the same with my Secret Wars figures (although that pocket Hulk figure was a tad smaller than the Mattel Cap, oh well.)
    Seeing the issue number meant this: the comic had been around a while and there were a **** ton more issues I could hunt down and enjoy.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I bought Nick fury Agent of Shield, first (ever) issue, for 12 cents off the newsstand (great cover!).
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Legion did not have unlimited mutant powers. He was a psi with telepathy (controlled by the terrorist he absorbed, Jemail), telekinesis (controlled by the Jack Wayne personality) and pyrokinesis (controlled by the Cyndi personality).

Also too many omega mutants.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post

I really thought there was a ton of storytelling potential of him having to sort of negotiate with these different aspects of himself, and grow ever so slowly more capable of manifesting powers with his 'core' personality, but at the expense of also assimilating / re-absorbing the personality traits that come with them (which are, after all, *his* traits, just writ large in the created personae of Wayne and Cindy). So he'd get a bit more of a temper, from re-integrating with Cindy, and the anger he'd been shunting off into her extreme personality all this time would finally have to be confronted and expressed by the meeker David, who had kind of pushed that anger away onto Cindy all this time.

And either accepting or rejecting Jemail, and his telepathy, could have it's own arc, since Jemail wasn't a creation of his fractured psyche and didn't represent a part of himself that he was repressing. (And hey, Jemail, one of the 2% of telepaths in the Marvel universe that are NOT WHITE, and, of course, he's a terrorist or a crook, 'cause do brown people even have jobs? Ugh.)

But instead he just went all sideways into weird astral dimension-creating stuff, which was trippy (and often had great art!), but not really meaningful, since, like all weird undefined Omega-ish mutant powers, it utterly fails in the clutch when tossed up against Uranos or Nimrod or Big-Bad-of-the-week.

What's even the point of giving him all this power, if the writers are just going to make it fail to affect any story or event or villain?

"Hey David! We're giving you the biggest swinging mutant dick! But it won't actually work, it's just to look at..."

Invincible Member

Torch had Toro, Cap had Bucky, now we just need kid sidekicks for Namor (kid Namorita!), Whizzer (Lil Squirt!), Union Jack (Union Jill!), Spitfire (Fire-eater!), etc.
    Hmm...Thinking about it, Golden Age Namora could have been the sidekick for Sub-Mariner as well as adding some female balance to the Invaders. I can only speculate why Roy Thomas didn't add her to the team...

Maybe it's because they had just introduced Namorita a couple of years earier and didn't want to confuse readers?

I want a new Defenders team with the older format.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    {In Fairness} We're chumps enough to buy what they're selling instead of steering them with our dollars.
    That doesn't work. I have only bought maybe 3 new books in the last 2 years. There just aren't enough of us not buying stuff. We're a shrinking demographic, so there's no point in appealing to us old grumpy folks.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    That doesn't work. I have only bought maybe 3 new books in the last 2 years. There just aren't enough of us not buying stuff. We're a shrinking demographic, so there's no point in appealing to us old grumpy folks.
    Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I want a new Defenders team with the older format.
    ^^^I want the Defenders Big Four—

Doc Strange
    Namor
    Surfer
    Hulk

—and the C-list Three.

Valkyrie
    Nighthawk
    Hellcat