Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That was Quesada's BIG RULE. Heroes can't be shown smoking. I actually remember seeing quite a few scenes where characters were talking about how they gave it up or where giving it up. (Some characters got away with it in MAX books, as those weren't for children.)
    What's funny is there's some comics where the art was changed and the characters are holding their hands in a strange way because the cigar/cigarette was removed.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The Thing, Wolverine and Fury (Dum-Dum too for that matter) without stogies is just wrong.

Invincible Member

But I wanna say too that Joe Q had a relative die from lung cancer and that motivated his decision. But it is ironic that as he made that rule, Marvel started to get looser with things like language and violence.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But I wanna say too that Joe Q had a relative die from lung cancer and that motivated his decision. But it is ironic that as he made that rule, Marvel started to get looser with things like language and violence.
    What was the timing on this versus the dropping of the Comics Code? I think I remember some loosening up after the code was no longer a factor.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    An argument with Wolverine is that it's bad to have a character doing something unhealthy that really people do, when that character would be able to avoid the real-life consequences, unlike fans who choose to emulate him. There are plenty of kids who read comics, but I can get why a writer doesn't encourage people in their 20s or 30s or older to do something that unhealthy.
    There are also the dangers of secondhand smoke to consider, which obviously a bloke like Wolverine probably wouldn't take into consideration, either. My parents smoked multiple packs a day each and my siblings have the asthma and lung problems to prove it. None of the children went on to become smokers themselves.

I get not wanting to show characters who are supposed to be inspirational smoking in comics (I wonder if anybody actually started smoking because Wolverine smoked a cigarette in a comic they read), but does anyone else think it's ridiculous that Netflix lists "Smoking" next to violence and gore in their parental warnings? Are people genuinely affected if a character in a movie is smoking? Enough to warn them it might happen? I'm genuinely curious to know if our society has become so fragile that it's a real concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt Guy View Post
    I get not wanting to show characters who are supposed to be inspirational smoking in comics (I wonder if anybody actually started smoking because Wolverine smoked a cigarette in a comic they read), but does anyone else think it's ridiculous that Netflix lists "Smoking" next to violence and gore in their parental warnings? Are people genuinely affected if a character in a movie is smoking? Enough to warn them it might happen? I'm genuinely curious to know if our society has become so fragile that it's a real concern.
    I can speak for myself and myself only so my opinion here.
    My father died this very June because of his 40yrs of smoking (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, his lungs literally dried in the span of 10 years). And I'm not bothered by seeing people smoking - especially if it's on tv or paper, so I don't breath their smoking. With people I know I have fallen into the whole "stop before it's too late and you end up like my dad who was 79 and healthy as a 30yrs old, no medicine/other physical issue, if not for the lungs" spiel, but... why should I be annoyed by a fictional character smoking? Especially if the character isn't even portrayed and there's no real person smoking to portray them?
    Why anyone should be offended by seeing a "grey" character smoke? Why Logan can't smoke (bad example) while he literally kills people? Doesn't make sense to me.
    I mean, I might be irked if, say, a Clark Kent was portrayed smoking, or a Scott Summers - they either are "too good" or too smart to start smoking. But a character whose main power is healing factor? If only, I would get angry because he can chain-smoke and nothing happens.
    Also, smoking in real life exists - pretend it doesn't exist, and clean all media production from smoking is hypocritical IMHO.

I only agree on banishing underage characters (movie, tv shows or comics). Not only because it's illegal for minors to buy cigarettes (I think? It is in Italy), but perhaps a teen could see themselves in an underage character. I don't see a teen start smoke because Wolverine or Deadpool or Bruce Wayne does it.

What I mean is that, if we're to banish bad examples that people could bring to the real life, we should polish all media production and make it "sterilized", nothing bad shown, only positive examples. Which would make for quite a boring content.
    IMHO.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

"If it didn't happen in the 616 then it doesn't count."

Me, thinking about the Ultimate universe and getting grumpier and grumpier.

The Agents of Atlas are a team of characters originally published by Atlas Comics. Let the new team come up with their own original name.

The best Champions line-up was the first and any new version should include at least three of that original line-up (Black Widow, Iceman, Angel, Hercules, Ghost Rider).

Amadeus Cho was better as a unique character versus being just another boring Hulk knock-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    The best Champions line-up was the first and any new version should include at least three of that original line-up (Black Widow, Iceman, Angel, Hercules, Ghost Rider).
    Don't forget Darkstar and Black Goliath.

I miss the time when popularity didn't equal power level, when characters like Captain America or Black Widow weren't able to beat easily some villains just because they were C-list villains.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Spectacular Member parker stark's Avatar

Benjamin J. Grimm, was the star of the Fantastic Four. As a result he was given a "solo book," where he met up with other heroes & had adventures outside the FF.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible Adult

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by parker stark View Post
    Benjamin J. Grimm, was the star of the Fantastic Four. As a result he was given a "solo book," where he met up with other heroes & had adventures outside the FF.
    Hell yes! I'd love a return to a book with a regular guest-star, where we can both have regular appearances by that character (whether it's Thing or Spider-Man) *and* catch up with one of the less commonly seen Marvel characters.

I feel like Scarlet Witch is dabbling in that sort of thing in her current book, but it's a little wonky for me, since she's borderline cosmic in all her witchy glory, and I feel like we don't get to see as much of the other person. It's a little too much *her* story, IMO, which is absolutely fine, but I want one where the other person gets a chance to shine, too, like Brother Voodoo or Dazzler did in their team ups with Ben.

Spectacular Member parker stark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Hell yes! I'd love a return to a book with a regular guest-star, where we can both have regular appearances by that character (whether it's Thing or Spider-Man) *and* catch up with one of the less commonly seen Marvel characters.

I feel like Scarlet Witch is dabbling in that sort of thing in her current book, but it's a little wonky for me, since she's borderline cosmic in all her witchy glory, and I feel like we don't get to see as much of the other person. It's a little too much *her* story, IMO, which is absolutely fine, but I want one where the other person gets a chance to shine, too, like Brother Voodoo or Dazzler did in their team ups with Ben.
    I know what you mean. I got to know so many D list characters, from their guest starring in the team up books back then.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible Adult