Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default All in good fun, prove you're a cranky old DC fan

His name is Captain Marvel, dang it!

Blue Beetle should be a rich martial acrobat driving a giant bug ship, and a better inventor (by miles) than Batman.

Hawkman and Hawkwoman belong together in an equal partner marriage, running a museum (from which they snitch their weapons) when not busting badguy skulls.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 10-17-2023 at 08:49 PM.

CoIE ruined DC forever.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    His name is Captain Marvel, dang it!

Blue Beetle should be a rich martial acrobat driving a giant bug ship, and a better inventor (by miles) than Batman.
    ^^^I'm w. you on these.

Jonah Hex fought in the Civil War. On the Confederate side.

The LSH completely mishandled Tyroc.
    t
    You know that revamp of that one old character that was a financial, critical, and audience hit? That opened up new story possibilities and added new layers of depth to the character? The next Crisis or continuity reset should completely retcon that run out of continuity forever because I personally didn't like it. Screw all those fans who liked it and all the awards it won.

DC should bring Bob Hope back from the dead and retcon him into being a founding member of the Justice Society. In fact, EVERY character from the Golden Age (or retconned as originating from it) should be retconned into having joined the JSA.

Roy Thomas should be offered the Justice Society's title after Johns' run is over.

years ago I was hoping that in the 2020s we'd have a new Superboy and/or Supergirl.... who were kids of either Conner or Kara.

What? I like the dynamic with Goku and Gohan and was hoping DC would do that.

It really bothers me when someone miscolors Hal's boots as white.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wonder Woman can't fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    Wonder Woman can't fly.
    ^^^I don’t mind the flying.
    She’s not Superman level strong and invulnerable though, or Flash level fast.

Back in my day there was only one Flash and one Green Lantern and that's the way it was and we liked it!
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Armageddon 2001 is a thing that needs to happen. Move the scale to "Just in the future"... its a cannon event.

Infinity inc is just as important than any team lead by dick grayson. Alans Scotts kids should be a very big deal.

They're are entirely too many Robins only Dick, Jason, and Tim are fine... but now its getting into ugly overlap.

The Shadowpact NOT the JLD... please and thank you
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Almost none of the characters introduced since 2011 are any good, and they are crowding out worthier characters.

Nora Allen deserved better.

Aquababy was a dead little boy.

Diana is made of clay.

Retired

[rant]It's D.C. not "dc"--which I read as ditch, if you want to call the company ditch, fine, but I'm not having it! D.C. is an abbreviation (if you youngsters can remember what those are, hmph) and it stands for Detective Comics. The bullet leaves out the dots, but in old ads and text, they used D.C. fairly often. It shouldn't be "DC Comics"--although the wrong-headed newbies at National Periodical Publications decided to change it to that in the late 1970s. If "DC" is D.C. and not ditch, then they were calling the company Detective Comics Comics--do I stutter?

The company started out as National Allied. Although in them days, publishers used several shell companies, to avoid creditors and the taxman, so there are many other colophons. Also, they might use another publisher, if that one had paper stocks, as getting paper to publish comics was a problem in the 1930s and 1940s (and even in the 1970s). When Major Malcolm Wheeler Nicholson needed financial help to publish a new title that would be called DETECTIVE COMICS, Harry Donenfield and Jack Liebowitz stepped in to loan the Major the finances (which would ultimately prove his undoing) and they formed Detective Comics, Inc.

Liebowitz, who owned the distributor Independent News, also went into business with Maxwell Charles Gaines, to form All-American Comics, Inc. And when Gaines sold off his share to Donenfeld, the whole company ultimately was called National Comics (plus other colophons that they would sometimes use). Around 1960 [Editor's Note: end of 1961], this was changed to National Periodical Publications.

Warner Bros. did not buy National Periodicals. The Kinney National Company bought E.C. which published MAD magazine (keeping William Gaines, son of Max, as publisher) and they bought National Periodicals (but not keeping Irwin Donenfeld, son of Harry, as publisher). That was in 1967. In 1969, Kinney bought Warner Bros.-Seven Arts. Later in the 1970s, Kinney National had to be split up and one half of the company was rebranded Warner Communications.[/rant]
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 10-18-2023 at 02:30 PM.

Spectacular Member

Blast it, you used to get 64 pages in full-color action for just ten cents! Now it's 24 pages with a dash of red here and there, with endless first person narration.
    Team-ups like the Justice Society ruined comics; you can't enjoy characters for themselves anymore!
    For that matter, all features these days are rip-offs of that superman character (I can never remember his name). We used to have variety: westerns, comedy, science fiction!

Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil brought back the Dark Knight not Frank Miller.

Retired

[rant]Before there was O'Neil and Adams, there was Robbins, Novick, Brown and Giella. After Carmine Infantino (newly promoted to editorial director) gave Bob Kane a deal that he would no longer have to provide artwork but yet would get the same money anyway (putting Sheldon Moldoff out of a job), Irv Novick became the new Batman artist on BATMAN and Bob Brown became the new artist on DETECTIVE COMICS. Frank Robbins was hired as the new writer (note that all these guys were just as old as the writers and artists they were replacing). There were changes to Batman and Robin in these comics in 1968 and 1969. Neal Adams deserves some credit, too, as he contributed art to many Batman team-ups in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, written by Bob Haney. But Adams didn't come onto the BATMAN and DETECTIVE COMICS titles (except as a cover artist) until after Robbins, Brown and Novick had written Robin/Dick Grayson out of the series, sending him to Hudson University, and moved Bruce and Alfred out of Wayne Manor and the Batcave. O'Neil became a second writer on DETECTIVE and BATMAN and sometimes Neal Adams had the time to do Batman stories (being busy with many other titles at the same time), but Novick and Brown were the main artists (with Frank Giacoia and Dick Giordano as inkers, taking the place of Joe Giella). The visual changes to Batman were certainly influenced by Adams--which Infantino mandated as the new new look--but you can't see much of this in the reprint volumes, because Adams insisted on changing the pages, so now you can't tell what changes he made and when to the Batman, if the reprints are your only source.[/rant]