Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    [rant]Old? Who are you little wise guys calling old? I'm not old!!! I still got all my own hair, my own teeth (mostly). I'm not an old fan. Heckfire!

Jerry Bails (1933 - 2006), Richard Lupoff (1935 - 2020), Harlan Ellison (1934 - ), Gloria Steinem (1934 - ), Biljo White (1930 - 2003), Jules Feiffer (1929 - ), Ron Goulart (1933 - 2022). All respect to them, but they really are the old fans!

"The Big E." Nelson Bridwell (1931 - 1987)--died before his time, never got to be old. "Roy the Boy" Thomas (1940 - ), obviously not--he never grew up.

Old fans were the Gomer Pyles, the Koppy McFads. Stacks of comics from the ancient times in their gas stations and basements. Shazam! Holey Moley! Suffering Sappho! Leapin' Lizards! We stand in the footsteps they trod. 'Nuff said.[/rant]
    You should have mentioned Elvis Presley, Adam West, and Yogi Berra, too, since they were noted comic book readers of a certain vintage.

As for any crankiness on my part, the only thing I wished never disappeared was the multiverse. Otherwise, I'm all for anything DC concocts as long as I'm entertained.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

This meant it was a quality and family friendly comic!

Approved_by_the_Comics_Code_Authority.gif

Fantastic Member

Back in the day, we had to WALK in the freezing cold three miles to get our comic books. We had our faces on the icy, smooth windows waiting for the store owner to open up early. But he never did.
    We didn't have the internet back then. NoSirreeBob. We worked for our comic books. Not like today's generation. Back then we only had two Superman titles a month, one Justice League, three for Batman. And only ONE X-Men title a month, we could keep track of the stories and characters. We didn't have all these umpteen issues monthly featuring one character who couldn't relate to what was going on in the other series. No sir. Back then, we had writers and publishers who cared about continuity and didn't care if it was "kiddie fair" or not. We had Julius Schwartz and E. Nelson Bridwell who respected their history. Great men. Not like today's losers.

Back in my day, Superman could juggle planets like he was meant to. Superman had to worry about umpteen kinds of red K, that all the fans had to memorize. Clark Kent was a wimp and we loved him for it. We loved him when he made a fool out of Lois because she couldn't realize it was only a pair of glasses that separated the mild mannered reporter from the Man of Steel. The way it was supposed to be. Not this John Byrne "modernism" foolishness. Bah. Best stories were when Superman came up with an elaborate plan to get out of some scheme Ms. Lane had to trick our beloved bachelor into "marriage."

Back in the day, adult fans respected writers like Cary Bates, Elliot S. Maggin, Marvin Pasko, Curt Swan and others who worked on the Silver Age Superman. No Sir. We accepted the preposterous plots and loved them. None of this "but the Superman titles are only making a fraction of what the X titles are doing, so we must revise the brand."

Heroes were heroes and weren't deconstructionists. They knew what the right thing to do was, and abided by it. The Justice League headquarters was in a satellite and we loved it. People stayed dead at least for a few years, not like today when it's only a few issues. Bah! Back then, we got our comics and we liked them.

Hawkman was a Thanagarian and not a Wolverine wanna be. He was a scientist, had a spaceship in orbit, and loved the beautiful Shayera. Back in the day, we had Sugar and Spike, the Inferior Five, Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis. Comics that made us laugh, not cry about the meaningless despair of life.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman were all charter members of the Justice Society. Same with the Justice League. None of this revisionism. It is as it was originally written.

Back in the day, we had something called the Comics Code. Thank goodness. That meant there were higher powers in the publishing community who made sure that some moral deviant couldn't corrupt innocent children with some hidden messages or . . . inappropriate content. If they were around today, I could name names.

Er... my nurse is calling me. Gotta go now.

--jthree
    Last edited by JThree; 10-22-2023 at 06:43 AM.

Where are the thought bubbles? And why does it take five pages to show a character walk across the street? Nothing happens in 22 pages anymore! ... dangit!

Also, Shazam/Captain Marvel is NOT in the DCU!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

And another thing, why aren't comics ten cents anymore? That, and a nickle used to get you a steak dinner! And there are too many colors these days! And why doesn't anyone wear an onion on their belts anymore?
    Assassinate Putin!

Pre-1970 and post-1970 Earth-Two feel like completely distinct Earths, and characters/teams like Power Girl, Huntress, and the All-Star Squadron feel like a big retcon that I sometimes have trouble marrying with the classic Golden Age heroes.

Also, the Flash suit needs wings on the boots. How can you be the reincarnation of winged Mercury without winged sandals?

Also also, why doesn't anyone say "Great Scott!" anymore?
    Last edited by Tomkatie; 10-19-2023 at 05:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

DC needs a giant-sized monthly comic called PRE- CRISIS where new stories based on Pre-Crisis history can be told.

No changes in history. Just continuation of stories based on those great old characters.
    Last edited by caj; 10-19-2023 at 05:35 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    You should have mentioned Elvis Presley, Adam West, and Yogi Berra, too, since they were noted comic book readers of a certain vintage.
    Those I posted were just the first that came to mind and comic fans that had written articles in publications I have at home, which I have all read more than once. Each in their own way built comic book fandom. I had to check birth years, using 1938 as a cut off, and had to drop others because they were too young to be old enough.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    DC needs a giant-sized monthly comic called PRE- CRISIS where new stories based on Pre-Crisis history can be told.

No changes in history. Just continuation of stories based on those great old characters.
    Such as Earth-91.

Boisterously Confused

Jeezuz H! I never meant to Unleash The Kraken! Still, my respects for the comprehensiveness
    Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    Back in the day, we had to WALK in the freezing cold three miles to get our comic books. We had our faces on the icy, smooth windows waiting for the comic book store owner to open up early. But he never did.
    We didn't have the internet back then. NoSirreeBob. We worked for our comic books. Not like today's generation. Back then we only had two Superman titles a month, but Justice League, Same for Batman. And only ONE X-Men title a month, we could keep track of the stories and characters. We didn't have all these umpteen issues monthly featuring one character who couldn't relate to what was going on in the other other series. No sir. Back then, we had writers and publishers who cared about continuity and didn't care it was "kiddie fair" or not. We had Julius Schwartz and E. Nelson Bridwell who respected their history. Great men. Not like today's losers.

Back in my day, Superman could juggle planets like he was meant to. Superman had to worry about umpteen kinds of red K, that all the fans had to memorize. Clark Kent was a wimp and we loved him for it. We loved him when he made a fool out of Lois because she couldn't realize it was only a pair of glasses that separated the mild mannered reporter from the Man of Steel. The way it was supposed to be. Not this John Byrne "modernism" foolishness. Bah. Best stories were when Superman came up with an elaborate plan to get out of some scheme Ms. Lane had trick our beloved bachelor into "marriage."

Back in the day, adult fans respected writers like Cary Bates, Elliot S. Maggin, Marvin Pasko, Curt Swan and others who worked on the Silver Age Superman. No Sir. We accepted the preposterous plots and loved them. None of this "but the Superman titles are only making a fraction of what the X titles are doing, so we must revise the brand."

Heroes were heroes and weren't deconstructionists. They knew what the right thing to do was, and abided by it. The Justice League headquarters was in a satellite and we loved it. People stayed dead at least for a few years, not like today when it's only a few issues. Bah! Back then, we got our comics and we liked them.

Hawkman was a Thanagarian and not a Wolverine wanna be. He was a scientist, had a spaceship in orbit, and loved the beautiful Shayera. Back in the day, we had Sugar and Spike, the Inferior Five, Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis. Comics that made us laugh, not cry about the meaningless despair of life.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman were all charter members of the Justice Society. Same with the Justice League. None of this revisionism. It is as it was originally written.

Back in the day, we had something called the Comics Code. Thank goodness. That mean there were higher powers in the publishing community who made sure that some moral deviant couldn't corrupt innocent children with some hidden messages or . . . inappropriate content. If they were around today, I could name names.

Er... my nurse is calling me. Gotta go now.

--jthree

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    His name is Captain Marvel, dang it!

Blue Beetle should be a rich martial acrobat driving a giant bug ship, and a better inventor (by miles) than Batman.

Hawkman and Hawkwoman belong together in an equal partner marriage, running a museum (from which they snitch their weapons) when not busting badguy skulls.
    I agree with these and so many more that others have listed. I will list ones I didn't notice anyone else state, but I may have overlooked a mention.

Alfred did not raise Bruce and only met him after Bruce had adopted Dick. Bruce has relatives he actually likes.

Wally West had great parents and regarded Barry as a friend an uncle, not a parental figure. Wally was a spinoff hero, not a sidekick and worked mostly alone or (later) with the Teen Titans.

Kon should not have any DNA from Luthor or Clark (I saw original YJ mentioned, but can't recall if this aspect covered).

Hal worked better at Ferris aircraft, without a tragic backstory, with two brothers he got along with fantastically. Also, the Guardians should be good guys.

Clark Kent had no idea he was even from Krypton until he was an adult, as per earlier part of the Golden age.

Bruce/Dick and Ollie/Roy got along well when the boys were still boys.

Barbara Gordon was an adult when she became Batgirl and in no way, shape or form was Batman ever her mentor. She worked Robin more than Batman, though that was later when he was in college. They did not date until years later.

The Joker is not force-of-nature type mass killer or goofy fun clown prince of crime, but rather a methodical and theatrical thief and murderer who puts a great deal of planning into staging the perfect crimes (still really like his first appearance).

Ralph Dibny is not a doofus. He's an intelligent, albeit attention-seeking, detective of significant skill. He and his wife are attractive, charming, funny, sexy and crazy about each other.

Jean Loring is not a murderer and her past insanity was caused via deliberate intervention that changed her brain, then was cured.

Zatanna never dated Batman in their youth, as they didn't have the same youth and she's years younger than him.

There is only one Black Canary. She became a hero, married Larry Lance, was widowed, then began dating Oliver Queen in mostly good relationship and he never cheated on her. Also he didn't start killing people.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-19-2023 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^I don’t mind the flying.
    She’s not Superman level strong and invulnerable though, or Flash level fast.
    Except...she EASILY is. And there's no air in space yet there she was "flying"-but-not-flying through space

Spectacular Member

Superman was overpowered, but it was amusing how he found ways to trick Lana and Lois from finding his identity

Boisterously Confused

CoIE was a mixed bag, but what it did to All-Star Squadron deserves a trial at The Hague!

Retired

Less a rant and more a lamentation:

I mentioned E. Nelson Bridwell before. He contributed greatly to National Periodical Publications. He had much knowledge of everything in general, of comic book history in particular, of every Captain Marvel and Superman story. He single-handedly managed the reprints. He brought order to where continuity had been in chaos. He gave so much and seemed to delight in just having the chance to work in comics.

And then, as he was dying from cancer, he saw everything he had worked to build up torn down by the Crisis and the aftermath of the Crisis. Passing away on January 23rd, 1987. That to me is the most heart-breaking thing about the Crisis.