Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Invincible Iron Man 11 Review and Spoilers

If someone wants to post some pics from the issue please do, I can't post pics on here.

Issue starts with Emma(as Hazel) and Tony in Hawaii, with Emma on the beach and Tony taking surfing lessons. They greet a few people and someone takes a selfie with them on their way to the hotel room.

Once they're in the hotel room Emma gives Tony the suit so he can go on his mission and he gives her glasses that she can see what he sees and communicate with him.

Tony goes to Krakoa(Hawaii was chosen as its close to Krakoa) and heads towards the White Palace on foot as the exhaust from the suit can still be seen. Emma has a trunk full of mysterium that she was going to have Forge make into gifts for her to give (like the X necklace from 10 and probably like the necklace she gave to Kate in Hellfire Gala).

Orchis operatives arrive to look for the mysterium for Feilong. Tony fights and kills a gorilla doctor (he drops the ceiling on him but the gorilla declines to take his hand).

Tony finds the trunk full of mysterium and a photobook from the Cuckoos. He offers to take it but Emma tells him to leave it as its just evidence against her alias. Tony escapes with the mysterium, but felt like someone was watching over him (this was Xavier, who is apparently fine with anyone other than Shaw, Selene and their flunkies on the island).

Emma and Tony arrive back in New York and head towards the Hellfire Club. Tony goes to his workshop in the club (hidden behind a sex dungeon) and makes a cane of msyterium with the tech he stole from Stane in 10 to test if its worth making a suit out of. Carol and Thor are unable to damage the cane, it resists spells from Dr. Strange and even gets past Spidey-sense (poor Peter thought he was going to help because he's smart, but he just got hit in the shin). Tony tells Peter that he has a plan to take down the sentinels and will let people know when he's ready to do so.

Honestly, I'm kind of conflicted about this issue and the Invincible Iron Man tie-ins as a whole. Its well written, the art is good and I like Duggan's writing of Emma (he's probably her best writer during the Krakoa era). But it just doesn't feel relevant to Fall of X. Tony's just using the Hellfire Club as a place to have his workshop, but that could be anywhere. The mysterium is for a new suit of armor, but he has armor and it hasn't been well explained why needs this armor when he already has some. They had the chance to deal with Feilong, but let him go. It's just kind of disappointing as a tie in.

Another really great issue. Duggan is really bringing it with this book.

This broke my heart.

But I appreciated that Tony had Strange keep it safe for her. Very sweet.

The last page in particular is interesting because it sounds like the heroes are going to get in on the action when Tony gives the signal. Good stuff!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Another really great issue. Duggan is really bringing it with this book.

This broke my heart.

But I appreciated that Tony had Strange keep it safe for her. Very sweet.

The last page in particular is interesting because it sounds like the heroes are going to get in on the action when Tony gives the signal. Good stuff!
    That last one could also explain why Orchis goes after Spider-Man, who will be making the rounds in Astonishing Iceman and Wolverine along with his return appearance in Uncanny Spider-Man. Preemptively trying to take out any nonmutant superpowered allies who might rally to the X-Men's side. That being said, "Oh, yeah. We're happy," reminds me of that moment in Pulp Fiction by Quentin Tarantino where Samuel L. Jackson's and John Travolta's characters get their hands on the briefcase and its contents that Marcellus Wallace has been looking to retrieve.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I think this is the most I’ve enjoyed reading Iron Man since Busiek’s run.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    Carol and Thor are unable to damage the cane,
    Thor doesn’t appear in this issue and Tony only mentions Carol trying to damage it in his narration.

Also the reason Tony needs new armor is because he currently only has access to the Mark Nil, which due to being focused on stealth is weaker than his usual suits.
    Last edited by Alpha to Omega; 10-18-2023 at 07:21 PM.

Not a fan of the relatively flat hair. I liked the full hairdo he was sporting before.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I haven't read Iron Man in so long. I may have to change that.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Loved this issue...it's surprisingly the one of the very few in FoX that's plotting directly against Feilong and in turn Orchis. As the two main books XM and IXM are slow burns.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm really enjoying this book right now, kudos to Gerry Duggan for getting me to read Iron Man's book after I don't know how long.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Loved this issue...it's surprisingly the one of the very few in FoX that's plotting directly against Feilong and in turn Orchis. As the two main books XM and IXM are slow burns.
    Agreed. If Tony is successful in dealing with the Sentinels then that opens the way for the X-Men to really and openly strike.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Agreed. If Tony is successful in dealing with the Sentinels then that opens the way for the X-Men to really and openly strike.
    It's totally on-brand for Tony to be the one to go right on the offensive, but also kinda shines a light on how the mutants of Krakoa kind of farted around and ignored Orchis for years, pretty much letting them be constantly caught off-guard by a threat they literally knew was gunning for them the whole time.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    Honestly, I'm kind of conflicted about this issue and the Invincible Iron Man tie-ins as a whole. Its well written, the art is good and I like Duggan's writing of Emma (he's probably her best writer during the Krakoa era). But it just doesn't feel relevant to Fall of X. Tony's just using the Hellfire Club as a place to have his workshop, but that could be anywhere. The mysterium is for a new suit of armor, but he has armor and it hasn't been well explained why needs this armor when he already has some. They had the chance to deal with Feilong, but let him go. It's just kind of disappointing as a tie in.
    I feel the same as you do. It is a good Iron Man issue, and Emma is good in it. But Mysterium is both a macguffin to tie him to Fall of X and a crutch.

I have never gotten the sense specifically of why Mysterium itself is needed, and not just standard metal/adamantium/etc plus some new Stark design. As is, Mysterium is too powerful (physically and magically resistant, AND ignores spider-sense) to be necessary for a non-Universal level threat. It is not like Stark is taking on the Beyonder; he is just taking on a rich human and some robots. Even when the Avengers take on Ultron, it is not like Tony is tinkering with a new metal suit.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I haven't read Iron Man in so long. I may have to change that.
    It’s time.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I feel the same as you do. It is a good Iron Man issue, and Emma is good in it. But Mysterium is both a macguffin to tie him to Fall of X and a crutch.

I have never gotten the sense specifically of why Mysterium itself is needed, and not just standard metal/adamantium/etc plus some new Stark design. As is, Mysterium is too powerful (physically and magically resistant, AND ignores spider-sense) to be necessary for a non-Universal level threat. It is not like Stark is taking on the Beyonder; he is just taking on a rich human and some robots. Even when the Avengers take on Ultron, it is not like Tony is tinkering with a new metal suit.
    Tony has created many armors that are tailored to a particular opponent. Think
    “Hulk buster armor” for example.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

What about the deal between Shaw and Orchis over the ownership of the island?

And Xavier keeping everyone out?

Isn't Immortal X-Men in the same universe?