Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default All In Good Fun, Prove You're An Open-Minded Old DC Fan

As much as I love the original, it makes some sense that Batman would go thru a few Robins.

Teen Jon is a good character.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Ignoring old continuity is often the right choice.
    Last edited by HsssH; 10-19-2023 at 08:53 PM.

Livewire as a pseudo-hero makes more sense than pure villain.

Ultimate Member

Been reading since the early 70's, and Wally's my favorite Flash, Jaime's my favorite Blue Beetle and Kyle used to be my favorite (human) Green Lantern, but now it's SoJourner Mullein!

DC's (inconsistent) embrace of legacy and ability to go past just pandering to nostalgia and keeping every golden age character frozen in stasis, unable to change or grow or move on, of new people becoming Robin, and old Robins going off to forge their own unique identities like Nightwing and Red Hood, for instance, has often been one of it's strengths, IMO.

Does 30 count as old?

The Young Justice animated series has the best take on Jade Nguyen, Artemis Crock and the Arrow clan. It would have been improved further with the addition of Connor Hawke and Mia Dearden but otherwise it was solid and much better than most of what we got in the comics.

I don't care for the Invisible Jet or Diana needing to deflect bullets with her wristbands.

Anna Diop's Starfire is a good adaptation in terms of personality and a good update of the original Wolfman and Perez run.

Trevor Barnes is the best male love interest Diana has ever had. Artemis is the best female love interest Diana has ever had.

2003 cartoon Beast Boy and Young Justice animated Beast Boy are better than the Wolfman version.

Sara Lance is a good character.

* Retrogaying Alan Scott is a perfectly cromulent idea.
    * Bringing back Barry Allen was *not* a good idea.
    * It's okay if almost all of the Golden Age heroes (and their supporting casts) are dead by now. They're really really old, and old people have been known to die.
    * Modernizing Titans continuity is fine, even if it means jostling the membership order.
    * Making the Anti-Monitor's real name "Mobius," as in the chair, was actually a cool idea.
    * I'll be the guy who admits to *liking* a number of the ideas being kicked around in Doomsday Clock.
    * If it weren't for the last five pages, Flashpoint would've been a pretty cool summer event series.

Hmmm, I need to think of some more.

The Yellow impurity for Green Lantern was always silly. Glad it's gone.

Dick Grayson is so much better as Nightwing.

Alan Scott as a closeted gay man in the 40's makes him a lot more interesting.

I liked Azz's retcon of Diana being Zeus's daughter rather than being made of clay. It immediately gave her a more interesting family and set of dynamics rather than just the same old, same old with her mother.

Astonishing Member

Teen Jon is a better character than Kid Jon.

"Shazam" is a perfectly fine name for a hero. "CM3" was a silly one.

Character ages being nailed down and a really specific continuity are bad ideas - and the current "fuzziness" is better.

It's nice that Dick got to grow up but no one else really did...
    Barry should be dead.
    Blue Devil is still a stupid idea...
    JLA Detroit was cutting edge!

Ultimate Member

Almost every Legion 'boot has unique characters I'd love to see more of; Tyroc, Glorith II, Karate Kid II, Nightwind, Dragonwing, Reflex, Kid Quantum II, Dragonmage, Monstress, Gates, Theena, Gazelle, Dream Boy, etc.

Fantastic Member

It'ssss all good, people. Relax. Continuity is a bore. Isn't it much more interesting when history is constantly changing and you have to keep guessing. People focus too much on facts, rather than the "now" and isn't that what's important. DC and Marvel are doing the right thing flooding the market with fifty to sixty titles a month, designed to embrace every group and everything else. It'sss all good people.
    --jthree

I like seeing a more diverse Legion of Superheroes. (it's just too bad the book sucked and some of those redesigns were terrible)

She's not always my cup of tea, but Harley Quinn's push and turn to anti-hero has helped broaden DC's appeal

Red Hood: Jason Todd switching up his wardrobe/attire from time-to-time is a stroke of genius...