Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I enjoyed Duggan's first issue more than Waid's entire run save for the Original Sin tie-in, so I'm interested to see more about Doc Green and the reasons behind his quest.

As for which hulks I wouldn't mind seeing depowered, Rick and Jen can revert (though Jen won't, as she has a new solo title), but that's about it.

I don't see how you could depower Skaar or Lyra since they were born hulks. I'm really afraid they're going to depower Red Hulk and Red She Hulk, and I REALLY don't want them to. Giving the Rosses powers was the best thing to happen to those characters in years. Heck, Red Hulk's become one of my favorite characters.

On a personal note, I'd love it if Charles Soule, as part of his new Marvel contract, picked up a Red Hulk/Red She Hulk team book. He killed on Thunderbolts.

And that's exactly my point, by him doing this, he's pretty much trying to step on everyone toes to make a splash in the MU, not realizing he's approaching books already establish like red hulk and she hulk, as well as favorite characters like Skaar and Lyra. It's a horrible idea and I hope that Greg Pak comes back to the book after this madness is over and revert everyone back to the gamma powered state.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I'm sorry but this story is hogwash, to complete remove people's favorite character just because ultimately the current writer doesn't like the fact that there's multiple hulks running around is complete crap. I won't be sticking with this storyline at all.
    Comics always gravitate back towards their default. For example, if you were rebooting Spider-Man, there's certain essentials you'd keep: you'd have a nerdy kid named Peter Parker who lives with his Aunt and Uncle, the latter of whom is killed when Peter fails to stop a burglar. There's not much deviation from that, and any version of Spider-Man will gravitate towards that version.

For better or worse, the default of Thaddeus Ross is to be a cranky general, not a Hulk. The default of Betty is to be the Hulk's love interest and daughter of the general. It's inevitable that Thad and Betty would revert back to their classic versions, and their Hulk identities would be put behind them. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing--it's just how the comics industry works. We may like them as Hulks, but they're destined to not stay that way.

I do wonder if Duggan is really behind it. It could be that the higher-ups at Marvel want to put the Hulk back to its classic status quo, supporting cast included.

BANNED

The point is he's removing characters that other individuals enjoy, that's hogwash. You wouldn't like it if the Hulk was remove from the board would you? But hey, hopefully Greg Pak comes back to the series and rewrite this upcoming garbage storyline to give Skaar and others their gamma back. That's the beautiful thing about comics, what this new writer will do, another writer can undo.
    Most of these family Hulk characters had only been so for a few years. Do you really believe these characters would survive in the annals of Marvel history just being Hulks? The title has historically been called "The Incredible Hulk", not The Incredible Hulk and his Amazing Friends. There's a cartoon for those kind of people who enjoy the exploits of Hulks R' Us.

And at the risk of sounding like I'm being facetious, I've been calling for the Hulk to be removed from the board for years! I've even suggest that Marvel should sell him to the highest-bidder from the Indies just so proper Hulk stories could be written. I've found the character to be severely lacking for close to twenty years! So, unless something changes in the interim, I will still be in support of the Hulk character being removed just as Thor had been many years ago and as will soon be happening to Wolverine.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Comics always gravitate back towards their default. For example, if you were rebooting Spider-Man, there's certain essentials you'd keep: you'd have a nerdy kid named Peter Parker who lives with his Aunt and Uncle, the latter of whom is killed when Peter fails to stop a burglar. There's not much deviation from that, and any version of Spider-Man will gravitate towards that version.

For better or worse, the default of Thaddeus Ross is to be a cranky general, not a Hulk. The default of Betty is to be the Hulk's love interest and daughter of the general. It's inevitable that Thad and Betty would revert back to their classic versions, and their Hulk identities would be put behind them. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing--it's just how the comics industry works. We may like them as Hulks, but they're destined to not stay that way.

I do wonder if Duggan is really behind it. It could be that the higher-ups at Marvel want to put the Hulk back to its classic status quo, supporting cast included.
    And that's exactly the problem with comics, and why comics continues to stay stagnant. The underlining factor of constantly wanting to reset things to the status quo makes a lot of their story lines pretty much insignificant. That's one thing I respect about the ultimate universe for example, in the ultimate universe, dead means dead, and we don't have to worry about anyone trying to take miles morales off the board. So there isn't some mysterious rule that things must stay with the status quo, it just a lot of writers seem to revert back to this idea due to the status quo being the comics that they themselves grew up with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Yea this does just feel like an excuse to cut down on the number of hulks running around kinda like what Remender did with Eddie Brock going after symbiotes back in Venom.
    But at least this time around we get to see the fights, for unlike Remender who never shown all the various symbiotes deaths during Venom.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I enjoyed Duggan's first issue more than Waid's entire run save for the Original Sin tie-in, so I'm interested to see more about Doc Green and the reasons behind his quest.

As for which hulks I wouldn't mind seeing depowered, Rick and Jen can revert (though Jen won't, as she has a new solo title), but that's about it.

I don't see how you could depower Skaar or Lyra since they were born hulks. I'm really afraid they're going to depower Red Hulk and Red She Hulk, and I REALLY don't want them to. Giving the Rosses powers was the best thing to happen to those characters in years. Heck, Red Hulk's become one of my favorite characters.

On a personal note, I'd love it if Charles Soule, as part of his new Marvel contract, picked up a Red Hulk/Red She Hulk team book. He killed on Thunderbolts.
    If you were to remove the gamma mutation that makes them partially who they are, they are likely to be killed in the process. That would be just as effective as depowering someone.

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

I always thought A-Bomb and Red She-Hulk were terrible ideas, I'd be glad to see Rick and Betty back to their old selves.

Loved Skaar in the Son of Hulk series, but he's been rather bland since coming to Earth, he was just at his best back on his barbaric home world. Wouldn't mind too much if this loose end got tied up.

Really hope they keep Red Hulk around though. I still think turning Ross into a Hulk was a great idea and there's still a lot of story potential to be mined there.

But what I really want instead of all these Hulks vs Hulks is just a nice long arc of Hulk vs the Leader.
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong

never liked Rick as A-Bomb either. Rick Jones is such a weird character when you think about it. the guy is responsible for the Hulk, has been Captain America's sidekick, was bonded with two version of Captain Marvel, was a key figure in the Kree/Skrull War and the events of Avengers Forever. he's been a tv personality and a singer. he helped bring the Avengers together. he was even the Hulk for awhile too.

To clarify - This new extremis powered brain in the Hulk is the one that wants to get rid of the other Hulks. Are his motives pure? Maybe, maybe not. The new Hulk persona is quite ruthless. (Let's talk after you've read issue 9)

I hope you enjoy the ride - the art is worth the price of admission alone. I've already written the end of this story, and I can promise you - we stick the landing.

IF some Hulks are depowered, I hope it's not your favorite Hulk, but just remember - bad things happen to good characters. My favorite scene thus far us Rick Jones in issue 8. I'd be curious what your reaction is to Rick in that issue.
    Smash you all,
    Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerryduggan View Post
    To clarify - This new extremis powered brain in the Hulk is the one that wants to get rid of the other Hulks. Are his motives pure? Maybe, maybe not. The new Hulk persona is quite ruthless. (Let's talk after you've read issue 9)

I hope you enjoy the ride - the art is worth the price of admission alone. I've already written the end of this story, and I can promise you - we stick the landing.

IF some Hulks are depowered, I hope it's not your favorite Hulk, but just remember - bad things happen to good characters. My favorite scene thus far us Rick Jones in issue 8. I'd be curious what your reaction is to Rick in that issue.
    Smash you all,
    Gerry
    The first issue you wrote reinvigorated my interest in the series. Don't listen to the naysayers, attempting to depower the other hulks is an incredibly compelling hook.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    The first issue you wrote reinvigorated my interest in the series. Don't listen to the naysayers, attempting to depower the other hulks is an incredibly compelling hook.
    Thanks - I think it's fun. I'm only ever trying to write a book I would buy. I don't think anyone will be able to predict some of the twists near the end of the first trade paperback. Some seemingly small events and details will have very large consequences moving forward.

It's fun to write some of these characters that go all the way back to the very beginning of the Hulk.

Side note: it's fun to see Bags draw Hulks fight in near-mortal combat. Some fun gags coming up too.

Thanks for reading the book guys. I love the Hulk. If I only ever get one crack at him, I'm glad it's "The Omega Hulk" it has big action, and moments of weight with characters that have context going back to the 60s.

BANNED

Glad to know you actually like the character and respect the older ones. That goes a long way.

Astonishing Member

Smash you all,
    Gerry
    I'm sorry but this clearly sounds like just another attempt to revert back to the status quo, and that's exactly what's wrong with comics today. Comics seem to be so deathly afraid of change that it's becoming stagnant. There was so much potential available for many of these characters that are on the hit list. Skaar and Lyra relationship as brother and sister hasn't been explored at all, neither as Betty being a possible mother to Skaar. We got a little of She Hulk and Lyra but the collaboration was minimum at best, and she hulk interaction with Skaar has been non existent. But instead of playing with these pieces of change, you or marvel want to restore it back to how it use to be, and this is exactly why I'm losing interest in comics, it's because things are so stagnant.

In Manga, when characters are killed, you don't have to worry about them coming back next year. When Neji died in Naruto, it was a much more impact death than any death in comics, why? Because you know Neji is going to be gone for good. He's not coming back. That's change. And that's why my interest in manga has been increasing while I'm losing interest in comics. So I'm not sure if this is your idea or if marvel saddled you with this plot that you had to write, but for me personally this is a horrible idea and one of the many reasons why in my view comics continues to have a stagnant market.

BANNED

Smash you all,
    Gerry
    As long as Skaar, Lyra and Jen come out of this alive and unchanged, I'll be fine because I've come to love them most. When it comes to A-Bomb, Red She-Hulk, and Red Hulk I can take or leave them. That is assuming this depowerment lasts for any of those that get Doc Green's treatment.
    Last edited by GreenScar1990; 09-08-2014 at 08:42 PM.

BANNED

I'm sorry but this clearly sounds like just another attempt to revert back to the status quo, and that's exactly what's wrong with comics today. Comics seem to be so deathly afraid of change that it's becoming stagnant. There was so much potential available for many of these characters that are on the hit list. Skaar and Lyra relationship as brother and sister hasn't been explored at all, neither as Betty being a possible mother to Skaar. We got a little of She Hulk and Lyra but the collaboration was minimum at best, and she hulk interaction with Skaar has been non existent. But instead of playing with these pieces of change, you or marvel want to restore it back to how it use to be, and this is exactly why I'm losing interest in comics, it's because things are so stagnant.

In Manga, when characters are killed, you don't have to worry about them coming back next year. When Neji died in Naruto, it was a much more impact death than any death in comics, why? Because you know Neji is going to be gone for good. He's not coming back. That's change. And that's why my interest in manga has been increasing while I'm losing interest in comics. So I'm not sure if this is your idea or if marvel saddled you with this plot that you had to write, but for me personally this is a horrible idea and one of the many reasons why in my view comics continues to have a stagnant market.
    I do agree that a lot of these characters, especially Skaar and Lyra, have a lot of immense potential. It would be a crime, a literal sin, if they were to be depowered/killed off just for the sake of the status quo. I don't want that to happen to them. And I know there's a lot of people, fans included, who also don't wish to see them and the other Hulks taken off the table permanently.