Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i didn't start watching wcw until a few weeks after scott hall showed up. didn't care for sting, then he became the crow and i hated him. didn't care for him in tna, absolutely hated jackass aka joker sting. he's been ok in aew.

that all said, around 2010ish i watched a lot of "surfer" sting from crockett and early wcw and really loved his work. i think if i would've saw sting as a kid i would've actually been a fan. even though i always liked the bad guys in wrestling sting looked like a bad ass super hero, where as hogan looked like a balding fukn idiot and i hated him.

Mr Backlund vs Sting in the 90's could've been amazing.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    *Bends over to tie shoe*

*BeastieRunner is out for 6-8 weeks*
    Could be worse , a NFL player (I'm thinking Joe Flacco maybe) went to get out of bed and caused an issue with his neck. Putting him out for weeks then. So yeah , imagine getting up from sleeping and hurting your neck doing that , costing you weeks to recover.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Getting back to Sting , that build to his 1st NWA World title was really good. Flair as booker really knew he was the long term guy to build up. He gave him the programs to go over some older veterans like Iron Sheik and then pushed him into a brief run of 4 Horsemen with him.

I think its been forgotten possibly , but Sting was supposed to win the title that spring. But he hurt his knee and Jim Herd wanted Flair to lose to Luger then. Which Flair FLAT OUT REFUSED to do and said the goal was Sting.

This i believe cost Ric Flair his booking position because he wouldn't lose to Luger like Herd wanted that spring. Instead Flair waited on Sting to recover (they wrote the injury into the storyline) and at Great American Bash 1990 , Sting won.

I'm sure people then were like , why is Sting complimenting Flair at the end and today at times , why does he sing Flair's praises so much. Because it took Flair to stand by him and believe in him then. Sting never forgot that and its nice to see the 2 work something these final months hopefully and hopefully its with Darby involved. (Sting has a lot of respect in the business...i can't see him not wanting to do that)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Incredible Member

^^^ Man, the ring looks so small compared to WWF/WWE at that time.

I always knew of Sting and NWA but never watched the promotion until the Monday night wars. So my intro to Sting was that dude in the rafters looking down on everybody each week.

Honestly didn't understand that gimmick, but the whole time he was silent. Then finally he spoke as that character and I was stunned that his voice wasn't how I envisioned. I thought he'd sound like Ultimate Warrior or the Road Warriors or something like that. His voice really doesn't match the "bad ass" characters he dresses as.

Reminds of Shazam...a boy in a man body...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    i didn't start watching wcw until a few weeks after scott hall showed up. didn't care for sting, then he became the crow and i hated him. didn't care for him in tna, absolutely hated jackass aka joker sting. he's been ok in aew.

that all said, around 2010ish i watched a lot of "surfer" sting from crockett and early wcw and really loved his work. i think if i would've saw sting as a kid i would've actually been a fan. even though i always liked the bad guys in wrestling sting looked like a bad ass super hero, where as hogan looked like a balding fukn idiot and i hated him.

Mr Backlund vs Sting in the 90's could've been amazing.
    Surfer Sting was my favorite.

Cena based a lot of his schtick and ring work on Surfer Sting.

Did you ever get to his tag team runs?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Sting was one of my favorites when he was a surfer juicing. Him and the Dynamite Kid. Never was a fan of the Crow look. Nevertheless a legend.

One thing I remember hearing about Sting I saw was (and no idea how true it is) is that he lost some muscle mass in late 90s for a reason. That Borden changed his work outs by the 1990s because he knew that the type of working out he did with Ultimate Warrior in the 1980s (yes young folks on CBR...those 2 were a team and one time friends) would effect his heart eventually.

So he went to more cardio focused work outs to keep his heart healthier and have a longer career. It as we saw paid off if this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    One thing I remember hearing about Sting I saw was (and no idea how true it is) is that he lost some muscle mass in late 90s for a reason. That Borden changed his work outs by the 1990s because he knew that the type of working out he did with Ultimate Warrior in the 1980s (yes young folks on CBR...those 2 were a team and one time friends) would effect his heart eventually.

So he went to more cardio focused work outs to keep his heart healthier and have a longer career. It as we saw paid off if this is true.
    He flat out quit the gas in 1990 after watching older guys have knee and hip replacements.

Since he lifted for bulk and size, not strength, his physique drastically changed.

He talks about it during his muscle and fitness interview.

EDIT: found it!

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/ath...-sting-speaks/
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium