Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    DC doesn't really have anything like the FF. I mean, the Challengers of the Unknown sure, but nobody who's a big deal.
    ^^^Just nerd-talking here but, as much as the Doom Patrol (who may or may not be a big deal depending on how you see them) are compared to the X-Men, they also mirror the FF, w. The Chief’s intellect and Rita’s elasticity mirroring Reed (and Rita was also the Sue as the token female), Cliff’s Everyman persona and being trapped in his own body mirroring Ben, and Larry’s negative energy being as Johnny’s flame form. And yet their very different.

There’s def. some wiggle room here The Terrifics can play with; like you said, not necessarily exact-ish copies/the same house, but in the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Just nerd-talking here but, as much as the Doom Patrol (who may or may not be a big deal depending on how you see them) are compared to the X-Men, they also mirror the FF, w. The Chief’s intellect and Rita’s elasticity mirroring Reed (and Rita was also the Sue as the token female), Cliff’s Everyman persona and being trapped in his own body mirroring Ben, and Larry’s negative energy being as Johnny’s flame form. And yet their very different.

There’s def. some wiggle room here The Terrifics can play with; like you said, not necessarily exact-ish copies/the same house, but in the neighborhood.
    The Doom Patrol has always been one of my favorite comic book concepts but every time someone says “Doom Patrol came before X Men. The X Men are a rip off.” I always point out that the DP took a lot of inspiration from the Fantastic Four.

The Doom Patrol has focused more on the weird side of the DCU, so there’s still a spot for another team to occupy the super science craziness.

I think the Challengers of the Unknown really should have been DC’s Fantastic Four because Kirby created them before he and Stan Lee kicked off the Marvel age. They were basically the prototype for the Fantastic Four. The super science based team that consists of a professor, a strong guy, and a young daredevil (and a former jet pilot). I think the main thing that held them back was that they don’t have superpowers or memorable villains.

DC has another chance with The Terrifics. Mr. Terrific is such a great they just need to fill in the pieces around him.

Fortunately it looks like James Gunn has realized the potential.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-27-2023 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The Doom Patrol has always been one of my favorite comic book concepts but every time someone says “Doom Patrol came before X Men. The X Men are a rip off.” I always point out that the DP took a lot of inspiration from the Fantastic Four.

The Doom Patrol has focused more on the weird side of the DCU, so there’s still a spot for another team to occupy the super science craziness.

I think the Challengers of the Unknown really should have been DC’s Fantastic Four because Kirby created them before he and Stan Lee kicked off the Marvel age. They were basically the prototype for the Fantastic Four. The super science based team that consists of a professor, a strong guy, and a young daredevil (and a former jet pilot). I think the main thing that held them back was that they don’t have superpowers or memorable villains.

DC has another chance with The Terrifics. Mr. Terrific is such a great they just need to fill in the pieces around him.

^^^Great post, I agree w. you across the board.

Man, The Challengers are a favorite of mine, but yeah, they’re an acquired taste in not having powers and whatnot. I personally liked that that aspect. In universe at least, they’re usually written as being held in high regard by the superhero community.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    ...No. We don't need "Young" versions of every last team. Or "Dark" or "Infinite" versions, either. (Or else we'll see the sublimely stupid attempt to create a Young Doom Patrol or, worse, Doom Patrol Dark.)
    I think those last two already exists. In spirit at least, if not in name yet.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I think those last two already exists. In spirit at least, if not in name yet.
    ^^^LOL, i made a Doom Patrol Jr. a few years ago.

Kid Devil, Fever, and Lagoon Boy.
    Any resemblance between my team and the BPRD is purely coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I think what I want the most is for at least one woman who is also a genius in her own right. It could be PG or someone else, but I don’t the Terrifics repeating the same mistake of FF where Reed/Holt is the sole genius and everyone just does what he says.
    I really would like to keep away any trinity related character in the group, by a mile. Even if I am like PG as character I would like to her to stay away of a team like this. She is more a "hero" type more than a "science". But if we are searching for smart gals with big muscles, I think than Dr. Kitty Faulkner and her alter ego Rampage really would fit in the Terrifics, even in metareference levels, if you have read the Byrne run of the FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    In fact Challengers, DP and FF all answer to the same trope of four protagonists very typical of the 50s, 60s adventure/monsters movies: The scientist (who could be the good looking leader), the tough guy, the hot-head, the kid and the girl. But indeed the early DP was pretty close to the FF in that sense.

With creative writers, of course you can have space.

That is really a good premise to have unpowered people to investtigate super related events. But never has been good explored. An now they want to stam a bat on that too. Good way to keep me me away.

Let's hope.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 10-28-2023 at 07:58 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

In fact Challengers, DP and FF all answer to the same trope of four protagonists very typical of the 50s, 60s adventure/monsters movies: The scientist (who could be the good looking leader), the tough guy, the hot-head, the kid and the girl. But indeed the early DP was pretty close to the FF in that sense.
    ^^^And these archetypes can be mixed, matched, and combined in various ways;
    The DP divided Reed’s IQ and powers into The Chief and Rita, who was also the Sue.
    The FF combined Ace’s piloting and Rocky’s strength into Ben Grimm.

Are Terrific and Sascha still a thing that happened?

I really would like to keep away any trinity related character in the group, by a mile. Even if I am like PG as character I would like to her to stay away of a team like this. She is more a "hero" type more than a "science". But if we are searching for smart gals with big muscles, I think than Dr. Kitty Faulkner and her alter ego Rampage really would fit in the Terrifics, even in metareference levels, if you have read the Byrne run of the FF.
    Dr. Faulkner/Rampage is an inspired choice that I wholeheartedly agree with. Even if DC wanted to keep the 4 member limit, I would be fine with her replacing Metamorpho - only so he could be freed to rejoin some version of the Outsiders. But 5 is a prime number, so Rex could stay.
    Rampage is an interesting character. I haven't retained much that I'd read concerning her, but she could really work as a hero. She's not evil in her human guise, so all DC would have to do is give her the Professor Hulk treatment - and BAMB - they could have a much needed female super-genius who could also serve as the team's strong(wo)man!

DC and Marvel really need more female super-geniuses. Marvel has done better with all of the teenaged smart girls, like Moon Girl, the Wasp (Nadia Pym), Ironheart and Valarie Richards.

Huh, I hadn't noticed the FF parallels with the DP but you're right, there's a surprising amount of overlap.

And no, I don't really consider the DP to be a 'big deal.' They're a solid C-list IP in my opinion; it's not uncommon for them to have a book and there have been some big, classic runs with the team, but they're without a title at least as often as they have one, don't usually play major roles in big events, and their larger media profile is pretty small. I hear their show on Max is good and I wouldn't complain if they get more attention and effort from DC though.

Definitely wouldn't mind Rampage on the Terrifics either. That's an inspired choice with, again, some Marvel overtures, so it still fits nicely on the meta level.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Huh, I hadn't noticed the FF parallels with the DP but you're right, there's a surprising amount of overlap.

And no, I don't really consider the DP to be a 'big deal.' They're a solid C-list IP in my opinion; it's not uncommon for them to have a book and there have been some big, classic runs with the team, but they're without a title at least as often as they have one, don't usually play major roles in big events, and their larger media profile is pretty small. I hear their show on Max is good and I wouldn't complain if they get more attention and effort from DC though.

Definitely wouldn't mind Rampage on the Terrifics either. That's an inspired choice with, again, some Marvel overtures, so it still fits nicely on the meta level.
    ^^^Glad you got something out of the DP/FF overlap!

Good observation on the Rampage suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Dr. Faulkner/Rampage is an inspired choice that I wholeheartedly agree with. Even if DC wanted to keep the 4 member limit, I would be fine with her replacing Metamorpho - only so he could be freed to rejoin some version of the Outsiders. But 5 is a prime number, so Rex could stay.
    Rampage is an interesting character. I haven't retained much that I'd read concerning her, but she could really work as a hero. She's not evil in her human guise, so all DC would have to do is give her the Professor Hulk treatment - and BAMB - they could have a much needed female super-genius who could also serve as the team's strong(wo)man!
    Thanks. And if there is space for Dr. Faulkner/Rampage, maybe thay also could use an alien friend cosmically powered, who loves to spend his anonimous days in the empty voiceless, souless, cold paths of that infinite darkness...ahem, sorry, I let myself go.

The Terrifics could use some guy who surfs throug space. Either the Scarlet Skier or Arin, the Armoured man could make an appearance to interact with them.

DC and Marvel really need more female super-geniuses. Marvel has done better with all of the teenaged smart girls, like Moon Girl, the Wasp (Nadia Pym), Ironheart and Valarie Richards.
    I think Shay Veritas and Doctor Rocket are avaible too. Or that other girl... Tekka, I think.

I had a thought. I wonder if the name “The Terrifics” would sell with mainstream audiences if they try to adapt the team for movies or tv. It was created as a pastiche of the Fantastic Four and has a Silver Age silliness to it. On the surface the Fantastic Four name sounds a little silly but it has so much history and love from generations of fans. “The Terrifics” could sound a bit too dumb on its own. It doesn’t even have alliteration to make it fun to say.

Names like X Men, Creature Commandos, and Suicide Squad sound interesting and may peak people’s curiosity but I’m not sure “The Terrifics” will.

I still love the comic though.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-30-2023 at 02:57 PM.

^^^What’s not to like about “The Terrifics”?

^^^What’s not to like about “The Terrifics”?
    It was just a thought. Im fine with the name but it may not be that catchy with mainstream audiences.

Maybe something like Team Terrific but more creative