Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gypsy, Phantom Lady or Nightshade would be terrific options for the group (couldn't resist the pun).

And regarding Gypsy's codename, maybe it could be changed to Mirage (that character is barely used so there wouldn't be any problem if Cynthia takes the name) or if the want to go with a street related name, maybe something like Vagabond or Wanderer.
    Last edited by Johnrevenge; 10-24-2023 at 04:23 AM.

I'm definitely in the Nightshade for membership camp. She's barely used and should have a new, regular home. Phantom Girl was never a particularly interesting character to me.

The only other thing I'd ask is an artist who doesn't draw Metamorpho to look like Skeletor from the Lundgren Masters of the Universe film. Looking at what Mora did with him in World's Finest, that's the perfect Rex Mason look.
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 10-24-2023 at 10:39 AM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would absolutely be down with Nightshade (and honestly almost mentioned her). Plus her history would add for some interesting opportunities for the group.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Personally I prefer to have Lynnia there. I like her relationship with Offspring. I mean, the team is not retricted to four members.
    In fact Joey Mason should be bring back to continuity and along with PJ Holt, recently rescued by Wally West, they could form the Young Terrifics, along with the first two.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 10-25-2023 at 05:26 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I like Lynnia (the Intangible Girl), too. Honestly, the original four members were perfectly combined and there were a ton more stories that could have been told. DC really does need to bring them back...and make them the premier team for any event that involves the multiverse. That should be The Terrifics speciality.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

The Terrifics are way better than the Fantastic 4
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Oh my god, yes please! The Terrifics was one of the best things DC had going on at the time. Some of my favorite Yang stories came from that book. That Bizarro arc, am I right? Totes fun.

Question. How closely should the Terrifics hew to the FF? Do we "need" an Invisible Woman stand-in, or a stretchy guy stand in? Or exactly four members? That was the whole New Age gimmick; DC doing classic Marvel stuff because Marvel was in their All New/All Different phase. But without some All New/All Different shake-up to play against, does it still make sense to riff on the FF so blatantly? Or should the team have a little more structural freedom and flexibility?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh my god, yes please! The Terrifics was one of the best things DC had going on at the time. Some of my favorite Yang stories came from that book. That Bizarro arc, am I right? Totes fun.

Question. How closely should the Terrifics hew to the FF? Do we "need" an Invisible Woman stand-in, or a stretchy guy stand in? Or exactly four members? That was the whole New Age gimmick; DC doing classic Marvel stuff because Marvel was in their All New/All Different phase. But without some All New/All Different shake-up to play against, does it still make sense to riff on the FF so blatantly? Or should the team have a little more structural freedom and flexibility?
    ^^^Flexibility but no stretchy guy?!?

All kidding aside, I personally like them being analogous to the Fantastic Four archetypes.

I do think it needs to be restricted to four permanent members, and obviously you need Holt. Metamorpho is a nice fit as well. I can give or take Phantom Girl, but the only one I’d actually be up for replacing is Plastic Man. Never felt like he brought too much to the team besides comic relief and there may be other characters out there who do that better.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think if they’re going to become mainstays of the DCU they have to grow past just being an analog of the FF. Yes, Mr. Terrific has a similar name and is one of the smartest people in his comic universe just like Mr. Fantastic but I don't think they need the members to be exactly like the Fanatic Four to be successful.

Though I do think they should occupy the same niche as the FF. The super science based team who traverses the multiverse. That’s just awesome.

They definitely started to expand the roster by the end of the book.

Last edited by Robotman; 10-26-2023 at 05:23 PM.

I'd like to see them firmly established as the DCU's go-to team for science-based challenges. Just like the JLD are magic-focused, The Terrifics could have that niche.
    I do like the original team, but I can see others like Ryan Choi, Firestorm, Powerhouse and even Power Girl being very logical additions.
    Plastic Man does seem like the odd man out, but he's a fun character who needs a home, so I'd probably keep him.

EDIT: If Metamorpho ever returns to the Outsiders, Element Woman would be a very cool new member. She had a lot of potential, but DC never did anything with her.

As long as Mr. Terrific can still be on the JSA and Metamorpho can still be an Outsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Personally I prefer to have Lynnia there. I like her relationship with Offspring. I mean, the team is not retricted to four members.
    In fact Joey Mason should be bring back to continuity and along with PJ Holt, recently rescued by Wally West, they could form the Young Terrifics, along with the first two.
    ...No. We don't need "Young" versions of every last team. Or "Dark" or "Infinite" versions, either. (Or else we'll see the sublimely stupid attempt to create a Young Doom Patrol or, worse, Doom Patrol Dark.)

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think if theyÂ’re going to become mainstays of the DCU they have to grow past just being an analog of the FF.

Though I do think they should occupy the same niche as the FF. The super science based team who traverses the multiverse. ThatÂ’s just awesome.
    That's where I come down on it too I think. I don't want the Terrifics to be direct, exact-ish copies of the FF, but I don't want them to stray too far from that either. Like, I don't want them living in the same house but I don't want them to leave the neighborhood, y'know? DC doesn't really have anything like the FF. I mean, the Challengers of the Unknown sure, but nobody who's a big deal. It's a niche perfect for Holt, with plenty of unclaimed terrain for him and his crew to lay claim to.

I like the idea of using Phantom Lady or Nightshade. Never been big on Nightshade, but mostly due to a lack of exposure. I'd happily give her a try if she were on the team. But I very much enjoy a good Phantom Lady and always watch out for the rare appearance. Lot of cool stuff to play with in that character, and she's basically a DC version of Black Widow so you keep that Marvel riff intact. Actually, do we have a Phantom Lady currently? Last one I remember was from the Freedom Fighters mini a couple years back (that was excellent, btw) and before that a solo alt-earth mini that rebooted her from the ground up and seemed to be forgotten before it even began. I think Stormy was the last Lady I saw on the main earth, and that was before the New52...

Never thought of Power Girl either but hot damn that's a great idea! She fits the super-science mold really well and has history with Holt. Ryan Choi too, but that's super obvious....

Huh. Maybe the team needs a rotating chair; a "guest speaker" role where a different science-y hero shows up each arc.

Not that I really want to get rid of anyone. Metamorpho fits in really well and the FF parallels aren't that deep but work really well on the surface level, and Plas is fun in any situation where he's not being written as a sexist pig. And I liked Phantom Girl, she had a good story. I'm cool with all of them remaining. But I wouldn't complain too much if some of them left, especially if the replacement was fun.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think what I want the most is for at least one woman who is also a genius in her own right. It could be PG or someone else, but I don’t the Terrifics repeating the same mistake of FF where Reed/Holt is the sole genius and everyone just does what he says.