Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Default *nods to bigadventure* Can anyThing Overcome The Thing That Cries In The Night?

Much like 'Beast', 'Thing' is a title or name that is used in fiction. As noted by bigadventure, however, there is a standout example in Roger Zelazny's classic Creatures of Light and Darkness.

The Thing That Cries In The Night.

The Thing That Cries In The Night is a Lovecraftian-esque horror of enormous power* and indefinite, ever-changing form. It annihilates and consumes worlds. It obliterates beings to the point where galactic+ scale spiritual technology that can revive someone from the dead and control the Tides of Life and Death of what is vaguely noted as being the universe can only barely manage to keep a victim of The Thing intact as a disembodied spirit. The Thing endures a thousand years of torment by the equivalent of Reed Richards using all of the technology at his disposal (if Reed were also capable of creating technology that controlled spiritual matters as well, on a potentially universal scale) in an attempt to kill it, and the Thing still survives. It is struck by supernova-level energies in battle, and still continues. Its conflict with another being of power destroys the planet above which they battle (they're not even on the ground, they're duking it out high in the atmosphere and the planet comes apart). A weapon that destroys stars is employed against it, and that weapon does all of KO The Thing for a limited amount of time, just enough for it to be taken captive.

And so I pose the question: What THING (named or titled) can defeat The Thing That Cries In The Night?

* For those interested in spoilers, The Thing That Cries In The Night Is spoilers:
    God. Big G, creator of the universe, etc, all that stuff. Diminished and wounded by the usurpation of some of its power, but God nonetheless.
    end of spoilers
    Also, two threads from me in two days, a very odd feeling.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-19-2023 at 04:35 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Nothing can beat spoilers:
    God, in whatever form they’re in
    end of spoilers.

And there are plenty of characters and creatures called Nothing, ergo those characters/creatures could beat The Thing That Cries In The Night.

And they have ‘thing’ in their names.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Nothing can beat spoilers:
    God, in whatever form they’re in
    end of spoilers.
    In fairness, as noted, some of the being's power has been stolen. Eventually, they DO lose a battle (though are not killed). ^_^

And there are plenty of characters and creatures called Nothing, ergo those characters/creatures could beat The Thing That Cries In The Night.

And they have ‘thing’ in their names.
    But this is a clever answer. As expected from the Duck of Darkness.

Between you and the Watcher, there's always some workaround to proposed situations.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

My silly answer would be the (you) from FFXIV. Considering they already defeated spoilers:
    personified entropy, that was empowered by the death and emptiness of the universe after millions/billions of years of suffering.
    end of spoilers

Actually... The more I think about it, less silly.

Wait does it have to be a Thing? Uh.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Wait does it have to be a Thing? Uh.
    Unfortunately yes. This is kind of a companion thread to my 'Beast' one. Soooo...any participants must be 'Thing' in either name or title.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Unfortunately yes. This is kind of a companion thread to my 'Beast' one. Soooo...any participants must be 'Thing' in either name or title.
    Oh. Guess that means I'm not as... Sharp... as you.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

He’s not a ‘Thing’ but I really want Darkwing Duck, aka The Terror That Flaps in the Night, to fight the Thing That Cries in the Night.

… at night.
    Chief Curmudgeon

What about The Nothing from Neverending Story? It has “thing” in the name.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    What about The Nothing from Neverending Story? It has “thing” in the name.
    The Nothing wouldn't stand a chance against TTTCITN. It just operates on a much smaller scale.

So, Thoth, the, er, retired all-father-ish power from CoLaD, has this ridiculous power: it's "teleportation." It's not like the teleportation you'd generally think of, where you have to know where you are going, no, the way this works is basically probabilities: because the universe is infinite, EVERYTHING exists somewhere. So he doesn't have to know where something exists, he just has to imagine a thing or a condition or a situation where he wins and you lose, and it's real, because he either brings you there or brings that situation/scenario/reality to you. Thoth spends over a thousand years trying to use this power against TTTCITN and all he manages to do, at his absolute limit, is contain it.

Thus, you are certainly talking about a being who shrugs off supernovas and black holes and quasars and who knows what else.

Set the Destroyer, wearing his ludicrous armor and shoes and wielding his supernova stick (not the real name, but pretty descriptive) and fully mastering temporal fugue (the ultimate cheat power) probably maybe would have killed it, but got sucker-punched. Nobody else in a universe of absolutely ridiculously potent beings can do much here.

I can't think of a "THING" that can do it. That said, are there any potent telepaths? TTTCITN doesn't have any feats for dealing with that.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    The Nothing wouldn't stand a chance against TTTCITN. It just operates on a much smaller scale.

So, Thoth, the, er, retired all-father-ish power from CoLaD, has this ridiculous power: it's "teleportation." It's not like the teleportation you'd generally think of, where you have to know where you are going, no, the way this works is basically probabilities: because the universe is infinite, EVERYTHING exists somewhere. So he doesn't have to know where something exists, he just has to imagine a thing or a condition or a situation where he wins and you lose, and it's real, because he either brings you there or brings that situation/scenario/reality to you. Thoth spends over a thousand years trying to use this power against TTTCITN and all he manages to do, at his absolute limit, is contain it.

Thus, you are certainly talking about a being who shrugs off supernovas and black holes and quasars and who knows what else.

Set the Destroyer, wearing his ludicrous armor and shoes and wielding his supernova stick (not the real name, but pretty descriptive) and fully mastering temporal fugue (the ultimate cheat power) probably maybe would have killed it, but got sucker-punched. Nobody else in a universe of absolutely ridiculously potent beings can do much here.

I can't think of a "THING" that can do it. That said, are there any potent telepaths? TTTCITN doesn't have any feats for dealing with that.
    I haven’t watched Neverending Story in a long time but wasn’t the Nothing devouring whole dimensions and universes?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    I haven’t watched Neverending Story in a long time but wasn’t the Nothing devouring whole dimensions and universes?
    Eh, it was kinda sorta devouring a world. Set and TTTCITN were fighting near a planet and the splash from their fight killed a planet.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post

It's actually even worse than this.

The Prince (Thoth) is also basically Reed Richards on crack. He has done stuff like 'Design system that controls life and death throughout the galaxy/universe (it's unclear which, but implication is 'everything that is'), and keeps everything on an even keel.' His technology has been used to bring the dead to life (like, this is easy for his tech), and to save the soul of someone who has been essentially eradicated by The Thing. Etc. Etc.

He uses that technology - all of his ability to create insane tech operating on potentially a universal scale and on a spiritual level as well - to try to kill The Thing That Cries In The Night. For a thousand years of 'experimentation'.

He fails.

Amusingly, the last time this came up I think it was *you* who pointed out that *I* had it wrong.

Set actually DOES win the fight. Sort of. In the second fight, The Steel General retroactively prevents the firing of the Hammer through the use of Temporal Fugue, and Set actually does get to try what he has figured out might kill The Thing That Cries In The Night. It's his theory, but then Set is a bit of a Reed Richards genius himself, just very finely focused in the area of Kill Stuff™. ^_^

His attack wins the fight (the Thing is effectively KO'ed), but still fails to kill the Thing.

Regarding telepaths, given that the Prince is a powerful telepath/psychic himself and can create/has access to technology that operates on a spiritual level, I would be pretty iffy on the idea of even a powerful telepath winning against the Thing given the Prince has tried to kill it for a thousand years and failed. But that's me.

Side note: I do like 'supernova stick', that works. ^_^
    Why are we here?

What's it from?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    What's it from?
    Here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    As noted by bigadventure, however, there is a standout example in Roger Zelazny's classic Creatures of Light and Darkness.
    Why are we here?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

gori-sensei?