Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    From what I remember there were still a lot of complaints and people unhappy (along with all the other replacement storylines going on at the time) even if some were still suggesting it would all be fixed by the end, but then Secret Empire happened, people kept complaining, they downplayed Hydra as being Nazi's, and they had to leak the ending early.

I have no illusions Wells will do much "fixing" by the time his run is over.
    Depends on what arcs are left after gang war. Or who knows maybe he moves to the x crew and you have guest writer finish his story

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Paul has a last name. It’s Rabin. An important fact given that he’s the son of a major antagonist in Wells’ Spider-Man work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    The only people treating it as important are the people who are die-hard haters of the current status quo. What actual character beat, apart from that one scene or plot point where it's revealed and Paul punches Peter, has so far depended on Paul being the villain's son?
    Yeah, I think the thing with Paul is we can tell that Wells isn't interested in building him up into something - at least not yet - and that the most interesting factoid about him seems likely to have started as simply "efficient" storytelling shortcuts to excuse why Paul was alive on a dead planet and why he wouldn't die when the kids did.

We all know that the "Rabin" factoid seems like it would best set-up a villainous turn... but the story hasn't progressed that way, or progressed any way, really, with Paul, likely because his purpose as a plot tool still matters more than any role as a character he could have. Maybe he eventually becomes a villain to "put the toys back in the box", or maybe he doesn't; we're not moving that way *yet* because Paul's ability to be a bland excuse for upsetting fans while pretending fans are wrong is more important to Wells right now.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    The only people treating it as important are the people who are die-hard haters of the current status quo. What actual character beat, apart from that one scene or plot point where it's revealed and Paul punches Peter, has so far depended on Paul being the villain's son?
    It seems to be a part of the reason why MJ is with him. She seems to be drawn to the flawed hero type, pretty much making a direct comparison to Peter regarding their commonality in this regard.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    It seems to be a part of the reason why MJ is with him. She seems to be drawn to the flawed hero type, pretty much making a direct comparison to Peter regarding their commonality in this regard.
    Except Paul’s not a hero. For a guy who helped kill his entire world, the man is completely nonplussed. It’s such a stupid plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    Except PaulÂ’s not a hero. For a guy who helped kill his entire world, the man is completely nonplussed. ItÂ’s such a stupid plot point.
    And here's the problem - he's not showed as heroic at all or at least trying to be. He's always showed as someone who cares about survival, heck, he didn't care about the (fake) children when they first met them with MJ. After #26, he's showed as someone who doesn't want to get involved, especially MJ getting involved (this year's ASM Annual). They never made any attempts to "flesh out" the character. Heck, he didn't even got a last name before #26.

Quote Originally Posted by Konnik92 View Post
    And here's the problem - he's not showed as heroic at all or at least trying to be. He's always showed as someone who cares about survival, heck, he didn't care about the (fake) children when they first met them with MJ. After #26, he's showed as someone who doesn't want to get involved, especially MJ getting involved (this year's ASM Annual). They never made any attempts to "flesh out" the character. Heck, he didn't even got a last name before #26.
    And yet MJ compares him to Peter...

And yet MJ compares him to Peter...
    And yet Lowe and Wells continue to insist that "our read on Paul is heavily influenced because of our feelings for Peter and MJ". Like, WTF??? Do they not know their own character? How can THEY show him like *that* and say that WE are wrong about him?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konnik92 View Post
    And yet Lowe and Wells continue to insist that "our read on Paul is heavily influenced because of our feelings for Peter and MJ". Like, WTF??? Do they not know their own character? How can THEY show him like *that* and say that WE are wrong about him?
    If multiple readers have the wrong impression, then the issue is the writing. Not the reading.

Also, whenever I hear things like that it makes me wonder if the speaker understands the basic mechanics of how reading works.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    issue reveals that Randy is working with Luke to get rid of the vigilante law.
    With regard to the anti-vigilante law, even without being able to outright repeal it, I've been having difficulty understanding two things:

1) How it would apply to heroes still sanctioned by higher levels of government, like the Avengers, at all. I mean, with federal or even international status, they are no more vigilantes than an FBI agent or US marshal, and a municipality such as NYC can't ban those from operating within city limits.

2) Even for those heroes like Spider-Man (unless he retains Avengers membership) or Moon Knight or Daredevil, as mayor why can't Luke simply deputize them as members of the NYPD, or order the police commissioner to do so, giving them the same status as his current Thunderbolts team? Boom, no longer vigilantes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    With regard to the anti-vigilante law, even without being able to outright repeal it, I've been having difficulty understanding two things:

1) How it would apply to heroes still sanctioned by higher levels of government, like the Avengers, at all. I mean, with federal or even international status, they are no more vigilantes than an FBI agent or US marshal, and a municipality such as NYC can't ban those from operating within city limits.

2) Even for those heroes like Spider-Man (unless he retains Avengers membership) or Moon Knight or Daredevil, as mayor why can't Luke simply deputize them as members of the NYPD, or order the police commissioner to do so, giving them the same status as his current Thunderbolts team? Boom, no longer vigilantes.
    I wonder if it will lead to Peter telling Randy his secret ID.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Sure, why not. We're running out of people not to tell at this point.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I'm mixed on this because I feel like Randy knows Peter well enough for Peter to tell him, and him finding out could lead to some fun stories. But Peter doesn't have many close friends who don't know he is Spider-Man. Just wish there were more side characters in ASM right now.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moxxi517 View Post
    I'm mixed on this because I feel like Randy knows Peter well enough for Peter to tell him, and him finding out could lead to some fun stories. But Peter doesn't have many close friends who don't know he is Spider-Man. Just wish there were more side characters in ASM right now.
    Doesn't Randy already know?

Sure, why not. We're running out of people not to tell at this point.
    And then he can get super powers.

And maybe win the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    And then he can get super powers.

And maybe win the lottery.
    Somebody will need to redeem Janice .