Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Doomsday Clock: This was hyped so much and almost nothing came out of it. Geoff Johns gave us back the pre-Crisis and New 52 universes and DC just straight up threw them away. I don't know what this was supposed to accomplish but whatever it was, it didn't. I guarantee none of the concepts created in it will ever be mentioned again.

Infinite Crisis: Again, brings back Earth 2 Superman and reminds everyone of the pre-Crisis universe and just turns Superboy Prime into a villain and kills off Earth 2 Superman and then literally drags his corpse around the DCU until the reboot. Complete waste of time.

Hypertime: This wasn't an event per-se but it was a backdoor way to bring back the multiverse that no one used. Waid played with it around 1998-99 and then it was just kind of forgotten about.

Convergence: There's no doubt this killed the New 52. You don't remind your audience of the previous universe less than five years into the one you're trying to sell to the public and is struggling.

New 52: This had so much potential but Didio just wouldn't get out of his own way and let the people he hired do their jobs. He had to micro-manage everything and a lot of his ideas were just bad. No one allowed to get married. Sidelining Wally and Dick and just kind of hoping people would forget about them. This was a chance at the kind of hard reboot that DC needed but they couldn't pull the trigger or stick with their own ideas. This leads well into the Convergence problem. They wouldn't let go of the previous universe. You had anthology, out of continuity, series like Sensation Comics and Adventures of Superman that kept reminding people of the old universe while you're still trying to sell the public on the new one. After Rebirth there were all kinds of conspiracies that said that New 52 was never meant to be permanent in the first place and it's easy to see why people would think that. It didn't help that any tie in merch, like that video game, tanked also. Just fed into the problem.

COIE: This one's tricky because, for all intents and purposes, it did what it was designed to do. I.E. boost sales. But the longer term consequences are still being felt to this day. One could chalk that up to just mismanagement at the time but we're still correcting for those problems today. I was seven years old when this happened so I'm not privy to what the comics market was like at that time. But given the fact that there was serious consideration to just closing up shop and letting Marvel publish their books, it sounds like things were dire. So this may have been the best decision financially. But looking at the books at the time and leading up to it, it also looks like more could have been done to avoid it and just wasn't.

I haven't followed a whole lot of "Crisis" events since DDC but by the sound of it, none of them really had any lasting impact.
    Like this post.

Almost all events start strong and end weak!

COIE is the exception...and the mess it made haunts us to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Convergence event sucked and tanked the sales for entire New 52 line.
    Eh. New 52 sales were already tanking when it came out. It also wasn't anything spectacular; but for what it was (a filler while DC moved cross country), it wasn't bad.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 10-21-2023 at 10:33 AM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

War of the gods.

Story confusing. We didnt get anything out of it. They Kill Son of Vulcan for nothing

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic...ar-of-the-gods

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Final Crisis. After reading & loving Grant Morrison's Animal Man and JLA, I was really excited for this event but it turned out to be an overhyped, confusing dud with art that didn't enhance the story.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    War of the gods.

Story confusing. We didnt get anything out of it. They Kill Son of Vulcan for nothing

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic...ar-of-the-gods
    The inside conflict behind that event was off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Final Crisis. After reading & loving Grant Morrison's Animal Man and JLA, I was really excited for this event but it turned out to be an overhyped, confusing dud with art that didn't enhance the story.
    And story that didn't know where it was taking place. WTF wouldn't WW have familiarity of the New Gods? Or the Leaguers in general? Like, what?!

Honestly, most of them amounted to nothing. Bloodlines? Meh. Hypertime? Ugh

Crisis did what it needed to at the time despite the long term issues/ flaws.

The biggest failure was Doomsday Clock. 12 issue story that could have been at least half that. Great ending ( the multiverse continues and was never destroyed, but spawned new Earths) yet basically tossed as soon as it was revealed

DC needs to stop destroying and rebuilding the Universe. Please. Let us breathe. You wonder why folks have a hard time jumping on? Stop destroying everything .

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The former didn't last.
    Regardless of how long Bruce was gone it changed Batman's status quo and this change lasted till Flashpoint.

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed them all.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post

The biggest failure was Doomsday Clock. 12 issue story that could have been at least half that. Great ending ( the multiverse continues and was never destroyed, but spawned new Earths) yet basically tossed as soon as it was revealed

DC needs to stop destroying and rebuilding the Universe. Please. Let us breathe. You wonder why folks have a hard time jumping on? Stop destroying everything .
    Well, Bloodlines gave us Hit man and fantastic character moments among Maxims and the League. And it is one of few times where the heroes actually lost (they all died in the assault on the broodmare).

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post

Also I never got Why any further tinkering was needed after the introduction of Hypertime in that Super boy story. I mean, literally EVERYTHING was out there and they could pick and choose as they liked. They just couldn't stop picking.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    And story that didn't know where it was taking place. WTF wouldn't WW have familiarity of the New Gods? Or the Leaguers in general? Like, what?!

Especially after Barda and Orion had served as part of Morrison's JLA.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    To me for an event to really matter it has to have consequences (good or bad) in some way going forward. With that in mind the biggest failure to me was probably Final Crisis. It had zero lasting impact, and really just came off as a Morrison vanity project.
    Like HsssH already said, it shook up Batman's status quo and brought Barry back.

And actually, it being more self contained with less ripple effects makes it the best of the Crisis books for me. COIE is kind of a bloated mess of a story carried entirely by George Perez's art and a couple really big emotional beats (the deaths of Barry and Kara), but it fucked up the DCU beyond all reckoning. And Infinite Crisis is hot flaming garbage, for the Trinity in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    The inside conflict behind that event was off the charts.
    didnt hear about that part

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Especially after Barda and Orion had served as part of Morrison's JLA.
    Yes!!! In SEVERAL eras!!!!!!!!!