Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Which event failed the worst and why?

So DC has done a lot of Crisis events and other events since COIE, we've had events like Legends, Our Worlds at War and stuff like One Year Later and DC Rebirth.

So my question is, which of these events failed to deliver on initial promise or even which you felt started badly but ending well.

For me I felt One Year Later offered a lot of promise and 52 the series was good, but the regular series that took place after that had ended, I don't think it really lived up to the hype

Incredible Member

Mix between "Countdown to Final Crisis" and "Heroes in Crisis" , both living definitions of "Interesting Concept, Poor execution"

ARMAGEDDON 2001 was so so to begin w. and the now infamous Monarch identity leak/last minute change in the villain’s identity certainly didn’t help.

Convergence event sucked and tanked the sales for entire New 52 line.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Dark Crisis is the worst in my eyes...it was just so bland and ultimately said nothing.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Identity Crisis did a lot to destroy some characters . . . though I'm not sure if it would definitely count as "the worst", it's surely a contender for the "Top 10 of the Worst".

Extraordinary Member

I mean, I really can't think of many that were worth the money. I'm not saying all of them were bad, but I really feel you can save yourself a few bucks and really not miss much. That said, most of my favorite books have been pretty insular.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

To me for an event to really matter it has to have consequences (good or bad) in some way going forward. With that in mind the biggest failure to me was probably Final Crisis. It had zero lasting impact, and really just came off as a Morrison vanity project.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Mix between "Countdown to Final Crisis" and "Heroes in Crisis" , both living definitions of "Interesting Concept, Poor execution"
    Heroes in Crisis for sure. Took a legitimately promising concept of "superheroes go through trauma and need therapy" and pivoted into a murder mystery with The Office confessionals and unnecessary buttshots

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    I forgot about Countdown/Countdown to Final Crisis... I have/had the entire series and it was just not good, especially since it didn't really connect with Final Crisis

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Convergence event sucked and tanked the sales for entire New 52 line.
    I liked Convergence and considering I was not a fan of the New 52, not that bothered it made DC make changes to bring things back to more Pre-Flashpoint

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ARMAGEDDON 2001 was so so to begin w. and the now infamous Monarch identity leak/last minute change in the villain’s identity certainly didn’t help.
    And to think this was before the Internet became public as well

It's not - that happened in 1989 with the invention of the World Wide Web and hyperlinks, and that event is from 1991. But most people didn't have devices to access it back then and social media wasn't invented yet.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Retired

I'd like to know the cold hard truth about which event was an objective failure at the comic shops. Some people on here seem to have access to all the sales numbers. So this should be something easily proven just by looking at how they performed when they came out. Which had the highest sales and which had the lowest sales? This is not a matter to be settled by subjective opinion. Let's get the numbers. You have your mission, now hop to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    To me for an event to really matter it has to have consequences (good or bad) in some way going forward. With that in mind the biggest failure to me was probably Final Crisis. It had zero lasting impact, and really just came off as a Morrison vanity project.
    Batman died and Barry came back.